DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I Learned the Hard Way

I haven't gained enough know how or confidence yet, to fly mine higher than 50 or 60 ft and a hundred yards away. When I get that low battery warning, I get that drone back quickly. I'm still not sure about how to set the RTH function, so until I figure it out, I'm playing it safe.

@Photo guy, I strongly recommend learning about RTH thoroughly and properly configuring it before flying again. It's not that complicated, and if set up improperly the is a crash risk and the (remote) chance of property damage or injuring someone.

For example, If you set your maximum height to 50', the ceiling you're flying to, then you cannot set the RTH altitude to anything higher than 50'. If you lose your connection to the drone, it's going to initiate failsafe RTH, rise to 50', and then do a straight line path back to the home point.

It's very likely that between you and the drone there are many obstacles that 50' does not clear. Even though obstacle avoidance will help keep from hitting things, it's not perfect, and it's quite possible to crash into tree branches and fall out of the sky onto a person.

The RTH setting needs to be set high enough to clear any obstacles in a straight line path between where the drone is and the home point. Generally given the height of trees, 200' is usually sufficient.

Reactions: Photo guy
Like the old pilots' joke: any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

A classic, though the owner of the airplane might expect a little more.

Was it on this forum that I recently heard a more stringent standard for pilots?

"Don't kill anyone and don't scratch the paint."

Sorry you learned the hard way.
I ignored RTH warning few times, but ONLY over dry land and close to "home" or a place where I could safely land. Normally my process is to fly out into the wind, do some shooting and start flying back at at laround 60% battery (more if I'm over water).
Do some shooting on way back and some more shooting close to home location.
I almost learned the hard way - I was shooting panorama over water when my Air2 started autolanding.
Luckily - I was very close to land and managed to bring it closer and land manually.
Now I don't want to be anywhare close to water at 25-30% :)

Reactions: frcaloy
@Photo guy, I strongly recommend learning about RTH thoroughly and properly configuring it before flying again. It's not that complicated, and if set up improperly the is a crash risk and the (remote) chance of property damage or injuring someone.

For example, If you set your maximum height to 50', the ceiling you're flying to, then you cannot set the RTH altitude to anything higher than 50'. If you lose your connection to the drone, it's going to initiate failsafe RTH, rise to 50', and then do a straight line path back to the home point.

It's very likely that between you and the drone there are many obstacles that 50' does not clear. Even though obstacle avoidance will help keep from hitting things, it's not perfect, and it's quite possible to crash into tree branches and fall out of the sky onto a person.

The RTH setting needs to be set high enough to clear any obstacles in a straight line path between where the drone is and the home point. Generally given the height of trees, 200' is usually sufficient.
I'll work on that. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots