DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need opinions - replace Mavic 2 Pro or go to Mavic Air 2>

edmartin123

Reactions
My Mavic 2 Pro experienced a fly-away early this year (long story). I have a nice kit for the Mavic 2 Pro (everything that didn't fly away) - 2 batteries, remote control, charger, etc.

I'm torn between replacing the M2 Pro vs the new Mavic Air 2. I could sell my left-over M2 Pro kit on eBay so in the end, the cost is about the same. But sitting here in August 2020... what do you think is a better play - the M2 Pro or the Air 2?

Hard to decide. I have both drones and both are awesome. For be honest, I will get the MA2 and once the M3P is released I will get it. But if you have sufficient $$$ get both. ?

Neither now that Amazon has the go on drone delivery. The sky’s won’t be the same. I say run while your ahead. Lol. Otherwise. If you really have to get another drone. Buy the ma2 the airsense will help in the long run. Just a thought.

now that Amazon has the go on drone delivery. The sky’s won’t be the same.
Interesting. You’re thinking that Amazon will be detrimental to the hobby drone flying? Would you be interested in some beachfront property in Yuma, Arizona. Won’t last long!

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
My Mavic 2 Pro experienced a fly-away early this year (long story). I have a nice kit for the Mavic 2 Pro (everything that didn't fly away) - 2 batteries, remote control, charger, etc.

I'm torn between replacing the M2 Pro vs the new Mavic Air 2. I could sell my left-over M2 Pro kit on eBay so in the end, the cost is about the same. But sitting here in August 2020... what do you think is a better play - the M2 Pro or the Air 2?

If your in to perfection and isolating everyone one of your pictures to get the best Dynamic range and control than you get the the Mavic 2 Pro

But if that is not your deal than the Mavic Air 2 is the drone to do some commercial work if it falls into your lap but also get the best of what DJI offers in very nice inexpensive Package.

We fell in love with this drone , and we made the Wet Suit for it and the Rescue Jacket so it can fly in the rain and the float on water.
Its was for us the perfect balance of Pro level work with all the gear to fly safe and minimize risk.

It quickly became our go to Drone and has yet to let us down and we play hard with the drone as you can see in our videos .

Once they trigger that update for the Smart Controller , its going to really change how much we use the Mavic 2 Zoom and the Mavic 2 Pro.

hang out with the Air 2 Family Forum and you can get a sense of how much fun that drone is providing at that price point.
Some of the pictures being posted are really sharp , where as with the Pro I am always expecting something even better but realize its in the magic and of the editing is where that takes place.

You got votes for both:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

It depends on what you will be doing mostly with the drone. For me, I take still photos only so I will go for M2P.

If you shoot video mainly or just want to fly around for fun, get the Air 2 for sure.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I have experience only with the Mavic Mini and the M2P... If that happens to me, I should go for another M2P. You don't how long takes to sell all your stuff in eBay...Just my 2 cents. Be Safe.

It depends on what you will be doing mostly with the drone. For me, I take still photos only so I will go for M2P.

If you shoot video mainly or just want to fly around for fun, get the Air 2 for sure.

This is what I was going to ask, I primarily use my M2P for photos and appreciate the headroom the 1in sensor offers but if photos aren't a priority then the M2P loses a lot of its advantage.

What update for the smart controller are you referring to?

As advertised from the release and on the DJI homepage (MA2), DJI plans to incorporate the SC with a firmware to accept the MA2 into it's short list of compatible aircraft. Rumor is the new M3 will also be adopted. ;) They have already released a firmware to the M2 series to change it's occusync to that of the MA2, so I am thinking the new firmware for the SC is on the horizon. :)

As I already fly a SC, if DJI gives me the option for a MA2 Aircraft only option as they have others in the past..I will grab one of those too.

Reactions: Seachief and Davyc

I would vote for a new Mavic 2 Pro, yes it would cost more but I think the M2P is abetter drone and more advantages with the camera!

Reactions: EricJT
I would vote for a new Mavic 2 Pro, yes it would cost more but I think the M2P is abetter drone and more advantages with the camera!
I would vote for M2P also not only is the camera a little better the drone itself is a little heavier a little more stable in wind The app is a little better one example is the battery progression bar I like a lot better than a number

I would vote for M2P also not only is the camera a little better the drone itself is a little heavier a little more stable in wind The app is a little better one example is the battery progression bar I like a lot better than a number
I think the jury is still out on battery longevity with the M a2. Time will tell if their batteries expand prematurely like the Mavic twos

But sitting here in August 2020... what do you think is a better play - the M2 Pro or the Air 2?
I enjoy both models for wherever I happen to fly, but here’s another take on your question:

If you’re looking to do some novice commercial work down the road, like with Dronebase, they haven’t yet certified the MA2. So your choices with them are the M2P or P4P. Otherwise you cant go wrong with either MA2 or M2P.

If you've already got the accessories and extra batteries for the M2, then perhaps you should consider a refurbished M2P. $1279 no shipping and in some cases no tax. The one I got came packaged as new and would be indistinguishable from "new" in every regard. By all reports and reviews the MA2 is a great drone. But I would think instead of having a short sale on used accessories you just replace the drone.

I am curious as to the circumstances related to your fly-away? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15