DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need some help. Scared to fly again.

1radman

Reactions
I'm a brand new Mavic 2 owner and things have been going pretty well until today. On my first flight today my Controller disconnected about 150 ft out. Nothing happened, it just hovered in place. Some how it reconnected, I'm not even sure how but it did and I landed it. Checked everything, turn it all off and on and launched again. Same issue, disconnected and zero control over the drone, only this time it did the Return to Home but it didn't land, it just hovered like 8ft off the ground. I didnt know what to do, it was too high for me to grab (not something I really want to do with the blades spinning anyways). The up arrow (take off) was active even though it was flying. I had to go under settings, apps, and force stop the DJI go 4 app and then reconnect to it in order to land it. Im using Samsung S9+. I don't know if this has nothing to do with it but the altitude seems way off even though I have calibrated the compass and IMU a few times. I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with it but it's between 100 and 110 where I'm at. Hot.

Anybody have this happen? What should I do if this happens again? What do you do when the controller disconnects? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm a brand new Mavic 2 owner and things have been going pretty well until today. On my first flight today my Controller disconnected about 150 ft out. Nothing happened, it just hovered in place. Some how it reconnected, I'm not even sure how but it did and I landed it. Checked everything, turn it all off and on and launched again. Same issue, disconnected and zero control over the drone, only this time it did the Return to Home but it didn't land, it just hovered like 8ft off the ground. I didnt know what to do, it was too high for me to grab (not something I really want to do with the blades spinning anyways). The up arrow (take off) was active even though it was flying. I had to go under settings, apps, and force stop the DJI go 4 app and then reconnect to it in order to land it. Im using Samsung S9+. I don't know if this has nothing to do with it but the altitude seems way off even though I have calibrated the compass and IMU a few times. I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with it but it's between 100 and 110 where I'm at. Hot.

Anybody have this happen? What should I do if this happens again? What do you do when the controller disconnects? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Make sure before you take off that you have your settings as to either hover in place, or return to home upon disconnecting. Check the altitude at which it will return to home. If the bird is in front of you 200 feet, 60 foot off the ground, and your RTH is set to 80 meters, it will climb up that high, then return to home.
In regards to disconnect, try pairing your RC to the bird again. My guess is your RC is overheating.

To rule out air temperature at the times you flew, you should try another flight during your coolest part of the day - typically just after sunrise. I would suspect your issue is temp related until you rule that out. The range you gave is at the top end, and even over, what DJI recommends.

Thanks...I have it set to RTH at 50 meters which why it was weird the first time it disconnected it just hovered and didnt go through the whole RTH process like it did the second time. The second time it returned home but didnt land...just hovered 8ft over landing pad. If you have it "set to hover" for a disconnect what happens if you can't ever connect back to it? Just curious.

It is really hot here....yesterday I kept getting the "charging stopped because phone too hot" message. I can't seem to find where I can turn phone charging off.... I know where it's supposed to be on the app but I don't see that option...

Thanks again.
Make sure before you take off that you have your settings as to either hover in place, or return to home upon disconnecting. Check the altitude at which it will return to home. If the bird is in front of you 200 feet, 60 foot off the ground, and your RTH is set to 80 meters, it will climb up that high, then return to home.
In regards to disconnect, try pairing your RC to the bird again. My guess is your RC is overheating.

To rule out air temperature at the times you flew, you should try another flight during your coolest part of the day - typically just after sunrise. I would suspect your issue is temp related until you rule that out. The range you gave is at the top end, and even over, what DJI recommends.

Thanks I'll do that! It's hot here. It's not too fun to fly when it's that hot out anyways but it's brand new and I'm pretty excited about it.

Flying yesterday, I kept getting the "charging stopped, phone too hot" message. I thought you could turn phone charging off but maybe that's just for iOS. I couldn't seem to find that option.

Basically, if it disconnects and it doesn't return home like it's set do or returns home but hover 8ft over the pad like it did the second time, I should just do the same thing which is force stop the app and restart it and hope it connects? Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Imagineimagery
Thanks...I have it set to RTH at 50 meters which why it was weird the first time it disconnected it just hovered and didnt go through the whole RTH process like it did the second time. The second time it returned home but didnt land...just hovered 8ft over landing pad. If you have it "set to hover" for a disconnect what happens if you can't ever connect back to it? Just curious.

It is really hot here....yesterday I kept getting the "charging stopped because phone too hot" message. I can't seem to find where I can turn phone charging off.... I know where it's supposed to be on the app but I don't see that option...

Thanks again.
It will hover until critical battery level and land where it is hovering. You can also choose dynamic home point, it will return to the RC. I am seeing a lot of folks having issues out of the blue on the forum and the common thread is heat.

Great...Thank you. I'm going to only fly in am or evenings going forward during the summer.

What would happen if while flying I lost RC signal I turned off the controller and turned it back on? Is that an option? Would it recconect?

What are you supposed to do in that instance?

Thanks.
It will hover until critical battery level and land where it is hovering. You can also choose dynamic home point, it will return to the RC. I am seeing a lot of folks having issues out of the blue on the forum and the common thread is heat.

Reactions: gothicm3rcy
Yes, it will hover long enough no matter what your settings, you can reconnect back to the app. Within a reasonable time that is. I haven’t tested RTH ever. I do everything manually. Taxing on my nerves I must add, but I guess I am just used to it.

every other landing for me is a rth landing. i use it often and i use it alot. not wanting these things to be my first experience during a crisis. just wish i knew how to disable that audio warning on the sc.

Reactions: Drgnfli
every other landing for me is a rth landing. i use it often and i use it alot. not wanting these things to be my first experience during a crisis. just wish i knew how to disable that audio warning on the sc.
where are you in Texas?

Yes, it will hover long enough no matter what your settings, you can reconnect back to the app. Within a reasonable time that is. I haven’t tested RTH ever. I do everything manually. Taxing on my nerves I must add, but I guess I am just used to it.
I bet it is....Its all a little taxing on my nerves right now....lol.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Will do. Thanks.

I saw where you can use the USB port. That would be good because I dont want the RC controller to charge my phone.... I kept getting a pop up saying "charging was stopped because of phone overheating"

Reactions: Dave Maine
I have had phone overheating issues before. Last month flying in Utah. It was only around 95-98f but that was enough. Morning and evenings flights were fine. One day I decided to do a midday flight. Took off. Within a min or two the app started to freeze. Laggy. F'd up video. Brought it back. Tried again. Same problem. Waited until later that evening and everything worked fine. I started to fly from the inside of the a/c in the truck when it was really hot. But mainly elected to try to fly only during cooler hours.

Never could figure out if it was the RC or the phone. I suspect the phone as the app was so unresponsive.

Get that RTH figured out! Test in an open field and get used to it before you send your drone off far away or over objects. In open field try the scenarios out. Disconnect RC. Turn off RC. Try to reconnect. Etc. That way when it fails in the field your pucker factor will be somewhat less!

Not the same problem but was flying in hot weather and told me batteries temp to hot did you check batteries temperature?

Thanks.

Max operating temp is 104 So I would think it is overheating

Speaking from a Mavic Air owner's viewpoint, I get weird messages on both my Mavic Air when I fly above 93°
Lots of IMU data errors.
Come to find out the next critical message is "CPU Overheat - Shut down in 10 seconds"
So I am not going to play around with that :D

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Sounds like it may be a cord issue. This happened to me several times before I figured it out. I also use the usb connection because I also use my tablet for a monitor. Phone is just too small to see obstacles like wires, etc, at least for an old guy like me.

Related to some of the comments above, is there an easy way to ascertain the temperature of the drone as well as the RC? At 104F max temp, that's pretty limiting! I've had my MA in the air at around 100F ambient temp with no issues

Thanks.
Are you putting your phone in airplane mode first? Could a call or app be interfering and causing the disconnect?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki