DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I need some help. Scared to fly again.

If the phone keeps disconnecting. As with most computers that run all the time, some times the memory in them gets garbage up, and they have to be shut down for a few minutes, and then powered backup, so they can get a fresh load of the operating system, and other programs. I have had my phone get hot before even when I was not using it, and the battery drain was quite significant to. Usually its the sign of a runaway app on the phone, and you need to go through you phone and find out what app is causing the problem. Most phone have in the setting where you can look at what is using the battery the most. If it is a program you normally use and do not have problems with in the past. It may because the app has gotten corrupted and need to be uninstalled and reinstalled to fix the problem.

Hi,

I would stop using the DJI supplied cables and buy Anker cables as youre method of connecting. This was often reported as a problem with the original Mavic Pro and it seems DJI may not have solved the problem. The Anker cables are not cheap but worth it. Watch this YT vid regarding signal loss with the original Mavic. BTW since I switched to Anker cables and use middle USB on controller Ive never had any issues.

Sorry I forget to say you can get the Anker cables from many sources, I got mine from Amazon.

Reactions: paul050079
Related to some of the comments above, is there an easy way to ascertain the temperature of the drone as well as the RC? At 104F max temp, that's pretty limiting! I've had my MA in the air at around 100F ambient temp with no issues
Use an infrared thermometer. I check motors, batteries and the heatsink plate on bottom.

every other landing for me is a rth landing. i use it often and i use it alot. not wanting these things to be my first experience during a crisis. just wish i knew how to disable that audio warning on the sc.
Press the power button on the remote controller one time and the audio warning is silenced!!!!!

I'm a brand new Mavic 2 owner and things have been going pretty well until today. On my first flight today my Controller disconnected about 150 ft out. Nothing happened, it just hovered in place. Some how it reconnected, I'm not even sure how but it did and I landed it. Checked everything, turn it all off and on and launched again. Same issue, disconnected and zero control over the drone, only this time it did the Return to Home but it didn't land, it just hovered like 8ft off the ground. I didnt know what to do, it was too high for me to grab (not something I really want to do with the blades spinning anyways). The up arrow (take off) was active even though it was flying. I had to go under settings, apps, and force stop the DJI go 4 app and then reconnect to it in order to land it. Im using Samsung S9+. I don't know if this has nothing to do with it but the altitude seems way off even though I have calibrated the compass and IMU a few times. I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with it but it's between 100 and 110 where I'm at. Hot.

Anybody have this happen? What should I do if this happens again? What do you do when the controller disconnects? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Your problem is almost certainly your device. All Mavic drones are designed for Apple devices.Just read the box again.Believe me, Android and other platforms are not reliable. Some pilots will tell you different, but they will also have problems if not using an iPhone product. I initially had these same issues when trying a beautiful LG phone as my controller device. I solved all the issues by getting an iPhone 6. Why risk a $1,000-or-whatever drone on a smartphone or tablet just to save a hundred dollars? Go iPhone and your problems will disappear.

I use samsung s10+ with cable to usb port. I have about 20% flights do the disconnect and hover so I have been changing cables. Now had 4 flights with no issues. My m2z requests compass calibration every flight. I suspect the phone is the weak link bec when I use friends iPhone everything works quicker and better.

I'm a brand new Mavic 2 owner and things have been going pretty well until today. On my first flight today my Controller disconnected about 150 ft out. Nothing happened, it just hovered in place. Some how it reconnected, I'm not even sure how but it did and I landed it. Checked everything, turn it all off and on and launched again. Same issue, disconnected and zero control over the drone, only this time it did the Return to Home but it didn't land, it just hovered like 8ft off the ground. I didnt know what to do, it was too high for me to grab (not something I really want to do with the blades spinning anyways). The up arrow (take off) was active even though it was flying. I had to go under settings, apps, and force stop the DJI go 4 app and then reconnect to it in order to land it. Im using Samsung S9+. I don't know if this has nothing to do with it but the altitude seems way off even though I have calibrated the compass and IMU a few times. I don't know if the temperature has anything to do with it but it's between 100 and 110 where I'm at. Hot.

Anybody have this happen? What should I do if this happens again? What do you do when the controller disconnects? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I definitely have problems with heat affecting my iPhone and crystal sky I don’t know what to do about Bad and I are use both back-and-forth when one heats up I switch to the other

Why do DJI use Android as the OS on the smart controller and Crystalsky if it's unstable, fairly new to DJI myself so I may be missing something?
Your problem is almost certainly your device. All Mavic drones are designed for Apple devices.Just read the box again.Believe me, Android and other platforms are not reliable. Some pilots will tell you different, but they will also have problems if not using an iPhone product. I initially had these same issues when trying a beautiful LG phone as my controller device. I solved all the issues by getting an iPhone 6. Why risk a $1,000-or-whatever drone on a smartphone or tablet just to save a hundred dollars? Go iPhone and your problems will disappear.

Reactions: okw

Thanks.
was it a controller disconnect or a phone/ tablet disconnect?
It has happened to me on the original mp where it said disconnected but I could still move ledt right etc with the controller.
I changed out the socket of my nexus 7- its easy on the nexus 7 as its a small pcb , and changed the cable..... it was fine after that up to the day I sold my mp.

Your Issues are related to heat and Long recognized issues in all platforms. One or all possible: Heat of RC, Aircraft, Battery and Tablet/Phone... if Sunny and hot, even worse... temp by "weather report" is in the Shade, much higher in direct Sunlight.

Keep in mind, you don’t require a screen, or App to fly any DJI platform... they all fly basic flight control with just the RC and Aircraft, no extra device required for “flight”; the tablet is only for enhanced flight operations... video, pre-programed missions, etc.

Try it... just leave all devices off the RC... take off and fly, land and perform RTH, cancel RTH, and flip into Sport mode. All functions will operate fine with just the RC. If a tablet (Apple or Android) is ever thought to be giving incorrect instructions... just pull the USB cable off the RC and see how it flies. The Tablet NEVER has control of the Aircraft, it passes instructions through the RC. The Aircraft control is Thumbs to Sticks, RC to Craft.

The Tablet, type of cable, port of cable, hardware device, Screen size or type, App or OS hardware being Android vs Apple won’t stop craft performing basic flight operations. The RTH is a RC firmware embedded procedure, it’s not an App feature; but can be “called” by the App similar to a “shortcut” icon.

I do find it interesting discussion when it comes to Apple or Android... that normally comes from USA. Android is more popular outside the USA than Apple for sUAV control systems. Actually, Android is a flavor of Unix and most high end sUAV systems operate on some fashion of Unix OS... PIX, etc. Several very high end expensive software from several Countries for DJI and other sUAV are Android based. As example: UgCS works beautifully with DJI and only Android, Drone Harmony is another example of many.

The software dictates the hardware, I use both Android & Apple depending on the software needed. Regarding extreme Cold, heat & direct sunlight, I've had my iPad Pro's lock up faster than my Tab S4's in both extremes.

Once you reach an "out of spec" overload in heat, predictability and expectations to operate correctly decay. Most likely the FW will provide some form of stability to avoid out of control crash, but it may not respond correctly. If you turn OFF the RC, the craft goes into a self maintained mode, when you power RC back on, if in range it will reconnect. But if heat has caused the RC to malfunction, restarting RC probably won't correct the situation. As mentioned above, if it's failing... to "rule out" any incorrect App instruction unplug the tablet to terminate app instructions and see if you can regain basic flight control. If you don't have basic flight control, all the app & tablet suggestions are useless. If you regain basic flight control, then reboot your tablet and reconnect if desired.

My suggestion, once a major App or flight failure.... disconnect tablet and obtain basic flight control and bring it home.

Reactions: Mossiback
Far too many instances of DJI drones disconnecting, and it is something that DJI should be acknowledging and also fixing. I lost my Mavic 2 Pro due to a disconnection and a failure to return-to-home, but the customer 'support' from DJI has been terrible. But the number of cases of disconnections that I am reading about leads me to think that there is a deeper problem which DJI seem to be ignoring.

Put

Thanks.
put your phone in airplane mode and issues should stop with the disconnect messages. I had same issues my first 4-5 flights and then I put my phone on airplane mode...never has happened again. I have made about 50 flights.

Samsung has very weird contol over USB devices as it asks to set one app as default for the app so it is ok if using only DJI Go but try DJI Pilot or Pix4D and it starts act weird and disconnects if trying to use other app instead which is set as default. Also with Huawei it is problematic as it doesn't allow direct USB connection without popping multiple warnings. Seems stock Android like Android One would be best for this task. Not sure if it the same for newer Samsung devices. If the device is showing "overheating" message like it is typical for LG I would not use it either for flying as it clearly has no good temperature control. Seems best to use some dedicated device for RC which can be set in Airplane mode.

Android OS by design is more flexible to meet multiple devices and functionality. The default selected app can easily be deleted or changed in Setup section. I personally don't assign any flight app as a default and use multiple apps without issues. I simply select the option to use once / this time.

I"m not following why airplane mode is a solution... if not just flying and actually using craft for various missions: waypoint, pano, survey grid, etc the airplane mode isn't applicable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock