DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I practiced flying in the wind (3 Batteries) it was well worth it....Mavic Mini, nice little unit...

Wind can be vary unpredictable. Flying in winds that can gust to 35mph in my mind would NOT be recommended for a drone that has a top speed of 29mph (published maximum speed with a fresh battery at 100%). Forget about panic. The wind doesn't care if you're calm or in a panic. If the wind speed is greater that the maximum speed of the drone it doesn't matter if you are calm or in a panic, the drone flies away from you.

Many interesting situations .

Going into the wind at angles (or tacking) was the only way I was able to bring my drone home
I don't want to be argumentative about this approach but at the same time, I feel we owe the readers accurate information. I am not saying I am an expert but I believe I understand the physics behind tacking with a sailboat and tacking with an aircraft. I do not see how it can work with a drone, plane or even a "powered" boat.

But I could be wrong. I feel the best solution is to post a separate thread addressing the question and see if there is a consensus as to the correct answer. Here is the link -

Is Tacking A Viable Solution To An Overpowering Headwind?

I don’t want to argue. But I do want to clear up the term tacking. I agree tacking a drone isn’t possible. The principles of flying and sailing are different. My original post did not include the term. I mentioned hitting the wind at an angle. I just seem to have better luck making up ground into a heavy wind by attacking it on an angle. If another reader wants to try this I don’t see how it would hurt anything. If it doesn’t work for them they can try it your way. Have fun

I don’t want to argue. But I do want to clear up the term tacking. I agree tacking a drone isn’t possible. The principles of flying and sailing are different. My original post did not include the term. I mentioned hitting the wind at an angle. I just seem to have better luck making up ground into a heavy wind by attacking it on an angle. If another reader wants to try this I don’t see how it would hurt anything. If it doesn’t work for them they can try it your way. Have fun

Maybe I do have my "EyesWideShut" on this matter but along with @Dmascot I agree with the way the term tacking has been used and there still might be something here that the analogy with sailing and aircraft that only fly in one direction compared to a drone that can change its flight orientation.

The mini isn't tacking but presents a much different wind profile (drag) when flying nose on to the wind lifting it's rear end and tilting forward compared to flying into the wind at an angle. Adding more forward thrust just lifts the rear end higher and the drag becomes worse.

When advancing into the wind at an angle, the near arm drops, the far rear arm lifts but it appears to me the drag profile is greatly reduced. Rather than having a flat frontal area it now is somewhat pointed. It looks much more streamlined and aerodynamic.

I too suggest getting out there in the wind and seeing how it handles in a different orientation. If the winds aren't blow away strong maybe try P or C mode. I have yet to try it only calm winds lately - Damm.

Actually, wasn't there a thread about the mini doing better flying backwards into the wind or in RTH??

Have at it guys...

Reactions: Dmascot
Maybe I do have my "EyesWideShut" on this matter but along with @Dmascot I agree with the way the term tacking has been used and there still might be something here that the analogy with sailing and aircraft that only fly in one direction compared to a drone that can change its flight orientation.

The mini isn't tacking but presents a much different wind profile (drag) when flying nose on to the wind lifting it's rear end and tilting forward compared to flying into the wind at an angle. Adding more forward thrust just lifts the rear end higher and the drag becomes worse.

When advancing into the wind at an angle, the near arm drops, the far rear arm lifts but it appears to me the drag profile is greatly reduced. Rather than having a flat frontal area it now is somewhat pointed. It looks much more streamlined and aerodynamic.

I too suggest getting out there in the wind and seeing how it handles in a different orientation. If the winds aren't blow away strong maybe try P or C mode. I have yet to try it only calm winds lately - Damm.

Actually, wasn't there a thread about the mini doing better flying backwards into the wind or in RTH??

Have at it guys...

Must be nice flying around Kamloops, such a beautiful area.

I honestly do not believe is a workable answer with a drone. A sailboat has the side resistance of the water that allows this to work. An aircraft does not.

Think of it this way. You are swimming upstream in a river. The current is moving exactly as fast as you can swim. Would zig-zagging back and forth diagonal to the current allow you to make any headway? No, in fact, you would be pushed downstream. Stop tacking and swim straight and you would at least hold your position.

Tacking it should definitely work. Think of it more in terms of slimming the drone profile and reducing resistance. When the drone is moving forward it tilts forward, exposing greater surface area on the flat top of the MM to the wind. Flying at an angle would reduce this profile and should decrease resistance

Tacking it should definitely work. Think of it more in terms of slimming the drone profile and reducing resistance. When the drone is moving forward it tilts forward, exposing greater surface area on the flat top of the MM to the wind. Flying at an angle would reduce this profile and should decrease resistance
I disagree. I believe when flying at full throttle a drone travels at the same "air" speed no matter which way it approaches the wind. Yes, the speed over ground will vary but not the air speed. Therefore, the drag should be the same. Zig zagging doesn't change that or help.

I disagree. I believe when flying at full throttle a drone travels at the same "air" speed no matter which way it approaches the wind. Yes, the speed over ground will vary but not the air speed. Therefore, the drag should be the same. Zig zagging doesn't change that or help.

Its the difference in pointing drone blunt side into the wind vs slimming the profile/surface area to actually gain ground. Going directly into the wind may push you back, cutting it at an angle you may be able to avoid losing ground because there is less resistance on the drone. Just look at the flat top of the mavic mini, then look at its profile from a lateral perspective

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Yes practice makes perfect but it's hard to stay cool when you have low battery and the R starts beeping loudly at you when the battery is at 20%. That's when the mistakes start happening. Some have taken to extremes by running a drill right through that annoying component in the RC (little piezo buzzer?) While some have found an elegant solution disabling it in firmware (silencio for MP).
Too often people find themselves in this situation when they send the drone abroad and don't realize the wind is much stronger than it really is and only find out on the return trip home.

When I fly my Tello or Syma, if I can't make ground flying forward, I can at an angle to the wind. It may have something to do with gaining momentum and attack angle. To get thrust on a drone, it has to tilt. Increased prop RPM alone doesn't do it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure