DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I think the answer is no but,…….

The USFS has several documents about flying a drone in lands under their management.
This one gives you the basics for drones: USFS drone tips

While the USFS does not explicitly forbid drone overflights of wilderness areas as they have no authority to do so, it is discouraged.

The following quote I have seen in USFS documents in regard to drones and wilderness areas:
"Do not fly over congressionally designated wilderness areas or primitive areas, as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide."

Both the Bureau of Land Management and the US Fish and Wildlife Service have the same policy almost word for word.

I've never had any issues with interactions of the above agencies employees. Maybe it's the gray hair and beard that does it. ;)

Cheers!

Where would one find the relevant airspace regulations? Somewhere in part 107? Also do sectional charts indicate protected wildernesses?
On sectional charts, a blue line with blue dots indicate the boundaries of National Park Service areas, as well as Fish and Wildlife and US Forest service areas.

Cheers!

Reactions: MKurr
Where would one find the relevant airspace regulations? Somewhere in part 107? Also do sectional charts indicate protected wildernesses?
Wilderness areas are depicted on sectional charts.

... when government agencies are involved there are sometimes assumed restrictions that don’t exist in print. That’s my concern. I don’t want to make harder than it needs to be, just concerned about the “unwritten” rules.
There is a possibility that the lack of knowledge some officials have in regard to flying over wilderness areas or similar spots might be an issue when flying over. They often see boundaries on the ground as extending into the air. If I must fly (in compliance) to capture video close to a wilderness area, I try to be as stealthy as possible...something I rarely do. I don't like getting into an argument with enforcement agents even if I know I'm right but it just depends on who you're dealing with and what kind of chance you want to take. I went round and round with a ranger about metal detecting on national forest land, and while I was right, the ranger didn't think so. Until another official arrived, the first guy was planning on confiscating my detector and ticketing me.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt