DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I want to map 2 square miles of woods.

VenomXts

Premium Pilot
Reactions
At about a 100 feet up. However, I only have a Mavic Air 2 and a mini (that's not up for the job with range).

Am I pretty much unable to do this effectively until litchi fully supports the air 2?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Sean

At about a 100 feet up. However, I only have a Mavic Air 2 and a mini (that's not up for the job with range).
Am I pretty much unable to do this effectively until litchi fully supports the air 2?
There are several problems in what you are hoping to achieve..
Mapping 2 sq. miles (that's 1280 acres) is a big job.
To give you an idea, my biggest mapping exercise was 120 acres, which involved two flights and 380 images.
Processing the images took a few hours computer time.

Mapping forested areas is difficult because tree canopy doesn't have much hard detail for the mapping software to find common points to match between adjoining images.
To have any chance, you'd need to fly at 400 ft (or higher) and use larger overlaps than normal (like 80%)
Litchi isn't a mapping program.
You would need to use one of the dedicated mapping apps (that don't support the AIr 2).

Mapping, or a photo mosaic?

I do the latter, and find the Microsoft Image Compositor Editor does the mosaic well, as long as you overlap and the site is fairly flat. You can scale the mosaic using a CAD programme, if you know a distance between 2 points. You could use Google Earth for that. QCad is a good free CAD programme...

good luck

To give you an idea, my biggest mapping exercise was 120 acres, which involved two flights and 380 images.

Mapping forested areas is difficult because tree canopy doesn't have much hard detail for the mapping software to find common points to match between adjoining images.
To have any chance, you'd need to fly at 400 ft (or higher) and use larger overlaps than normal (like 80%)
You would need to use one of the dedicated mapping apps (that don't support the AIr 2).
You can use Litchi for mapping if you send videos to Hivemapper. That also does not require a lot of computer time for you.

Really what you are asking about would be a major project for someone that does mapping professionally.
I'd suggest trying a much smaller area .. say 20 acres to see what's involved before getting too wrapped up in it.

I just set up a 2 sq. mile mapping flight to see how it looks with DroneDeploy.
i-sFtBRgQ-M.jpg

Using their default settings at 400 ft altitude, it's estimating almost 3000 image files.
Forest canopy is always difficult for mapping and tends to give lots of blurred areas.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Really what you are asking about would be a major project for someone that does mapping professionally.
I'd suggest trying a much smaller area .. say 20 acres to see what's involved before getting too wrapped up in it.

I just set up a 2 sq. mile mapping flight to see how it looks with DroneDeploy.
i-sFtBRgQ-M.jpg

Using their default settings at 400 ft altitude, it's estimating almost 3000 image files.
Forest canopy is always difficult for mapping and tends to give lots of blurred areas.
Do you have NINE batteries all charged?

Reactions: pelagic_one

As regards the difficulty of stitching images by common features, I understand that some stitching programs rely on gps coordinates and camera orientation, in addition to the common features.

As regards mapping acts supporting (or not) the MA2, Dronelink web page says that Air 2 is supported now. It's not free but requires a reasonable one-time payment.

As regards the difficulty of stitching images by common features, I understand that some stitching programs rely on gps coordinates and camera orientation, in addition to the common features.

As regards mapping acts supporting (or not) the MA2, Dronelink web page says that Air 2 is supported now. It's not free but requires a reasonable one-time payment.
I just started to register "Mapping" in Dronelink...and their web site stated that

"The DJI Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 are not supported yet."​

I just started to register "Mapping" in Dronelink...and their web site stated that

"The DJI Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2 are not supported yet."​

Confirmed that in beta version 140 all support for MA2 is now gone as of last report 6 days ago. Awaiting DJI release of updated SDK with known fixes to bugs reported. Dronelink states: Mavic Air 2 compatibility has been removed but will be re-added in the next build.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007