DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I was excited about this drone (2hr flight time) until I saw the price.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
^This. I can buy multiple Mavics with that, or better yet, I can buy one Mavic and a ****-load of batteries.

That works out to a Mavic and 66 or so batteries. Assuming 20 minute flight time per battery and you have a total of 22 hours flight time. Better yet buy a second Mavic, fewer batteries and buy several chargers and charging hubs and you can fly non-stop.

Yeah, I never understood why flight time at an extremely high cost was attractive to anyone.... just get a couple Mavic's or Phantoms and just do 25 minute rotations over whatever the incident is.... I mean would YOU want to fly for 2 hours without a break?... especially if you really needed to focus on what you were doing...

Reactions: JDawg
Yeah, I never understood why flight time at an extremely high cost was attractive to anyone.... just get a couple Mavic's or Phantoms and just do 25 minute rotations over whatever the incident is.... I mean would YOU want to fly for 2 hours without a break?... especially if you really needed to focus on what you were doing...

I think their primary use would be in Natural Disasters, over large areas, such a forest fires or the upcoming Hurricane. Of course with proper waivers and coordination with the appropriate command agencies. Or even with mapping of extremely large areas. Just a SWAG.

Reactions: IronReel
Impossible Aerospace is already selling the US-1, which includes thermal and optical sensors as well as GPS tracking, to firefighters, police departments and rescue teams in the US.​

Well of course. Color me surprised.

Reactions: AzBill
Hahaha.... I build custom carbon frames with trussed carbon wings; with a Navio2, Pi, T-Motor MN3508’s, large/slow carbon props (look at the MN3508’s efficiency chart as the RPMs go low), and a 4s battery dominating the vehichle’s weight you can get comparable results for around $800 of materials (plus dramatically more in learning curve, build equipment, and doing it wrong/smaller for a couple years)

Really, the main issues with building super-long flight time drones are (secret) and (other secret)... Right up to the point you just feel like you’re taking paychecks and putting them in a blender...

Need to just figure out a simple method to use one Mavic for the mission itself, and configure a second Mavic as a "tanker." Run an umbilical from the second Mavic with a magnetic connection that plugs into a receiving coupler mounted on the first drone - Presto! mid-air refueling!

Or, generate on-bird power with a hydrogen fuel cell, which would have the advantage of offsetting drone weight, at least for a while.

Last edited:
Ya gotta love this part.

"Homeland Security has claimed Chinese company DJI is using its drones to spy for China. "

I guess we must all stop buying things from China. OH dear, that will put a lot of people out of work and make your cost of living triple.

Ya gotta love this part.

"Homeland Security has claimed Chinese company DJI is using its drones to spy for China. "

I guess we must all stop buying things from China. OH dear, that will put a lot of people out of work and make your cost of living triple.
If you think about, hate it or not, almost everything in your home, including some parts of your own car are made in China.

Huawei are banned in Australia and New Zealand 5G networks due to security concerns. Plus our military here grounded all of their DJI drones for some time to lock them down from calling home

Surveillance. Throw it up, leave it there for an entire 2 hour event with just a guy operating the camera. Doing rotations without a break in coverage needs a lot more crew and logistics.

Reactions: CactusJackSlade
Huawei are banned in Australia and New Zealand 5G networks due to security concerns. Plus our military here grounded all of their DJI drones for some time to lock them down from calling home
I have BOTH a DJI drone and a Huawei. Love them both. Unless you roll your own equipment, you can never be sure it isn't spying on you. Since everything seems to be made in Guangdong, China even an iPhone is suspect. Where are the memory chips and processors made? Where is the F/W developed? OH, how about "home grown" terror? Yep, better build my own stuff now!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty