DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I wish DJI sold drone only packages!

Chrislaf

Reactions
It's too bad that DJI doesn't sell just drone only packages that include the drone and a battery for those people who already have a controller or who are upgrading their controller. For example, I will likely be purchasing the RC Pro to go with my Mavic 3 and that will leave me with the extra standard controller. I would love to replace my Spark with a Mini 2 (drone and battery) and use the standard controller that came with my M3. This is not only environmentally friendly but it is much better than having to buy a standard Mini 2 package which comes with another standard controller. Sure, I could buy a Mini 2 drone only off eBay but the cost of the drone plus a battery and shipping would be just as much or more than buying a brand new Mini 2 standard package.

I imagine that DJI probably does not sell drone only packages except as replacements for crashed drones because it is not something they would make money on. Oh well, one can always dream!

Chris

It is clear to me that DJI is milking margin. The fact that they use the exact same controller from the MIni 2 through the M3 has little logic as far as value to the consumer is concerned. OK... They now have Occusyn 3 or whatever they call it. And perhaps a budget controller like the Mini 2 sports is warranted, if nothing else to push folks to one of their higher end model without having to go over $3k to get there. How did they manage to get all those buttons and LED in the Mavic 2 and still keep it reasonably priced? You can't tell me that the budget controller is largely battery and they couldn't get the electronics in smaller form factor like the Mavic 2.

Reactions: Jam0ne and Chrislaf
It's too bad that DJI doesn't sell just drone only packages that include the drone and a battery for those people who already have a controller or who are upgrading their controller. For example, I will likely be purchasing the RC Pro to go with my Mavic 3 and that will leave me with the extra standard controller. I would love to replace my Spark with a Mini 2 (drone and battery) and use the standard controller that came with my M3. This is not only environmentally friendly but it is much better than having to buy a standard Mini 2 package which comes with another standard controller. Sure, I could buy a Mini 2 drone only off eBay but the cost of the drone plus a battery and shipping would be just as much or more than buying a brand new Mini 2 standard package.

I imagine that DJI probably does not sell drone only packages except as replacements for crashed drones because it is not something they would make money on. Oh well, one can always dream!

Chris

Couldn't agree more. I have an RC-Pro (no confirmation that it will work with the Mini 3 yet but I'm hopeful). And I have my original RC1 controller from my A2s. I just don't need to pay for another controller just to sit and collect dust. *shrug*

Reactions: Chrislaf
Although the previous controllers that came with the fold out arms like the one that comes with my Spark are more compact, I like the RC1 controller better. It feels better in my hands and reminds me of my P3S controller and I like the fact that the phone sits up top.

I guess if there was a market for DJI just selling the drone and controllers separately, then they would be doing so but from an environmental standpoint they seem to be doing it backwards.

Chris

Chris
You can buy just the drone, I’ve done it twice,you have to call and ask

You can buy just the drone, I’ve done it twice,you have to call and ask
But do you have to have previously owned the drone you are purchasing and is the price reasonable?

Chris

I’m not sure I did buy them to replace what I had, one was the FPV drone and the other was the mini2 ,I had no refresh on them

I’m not sure I did buy them to replace what I had, one was the FPV drone and the other was the mini2 ,I had no refresh on them
I think if you are replacing a lost drone or a crashed drone they will allow you to buy a replacement but I haven't heard of them allowing one to buy a drone they haven't previously owned. If I could buy a Mini 2 and battery from DJI for a reasonable price, I would consider it.

Chris

It doesn’t hurt to ask

It doesn’t hurt to ask
True. Once I get the RC Pro, then I will talk to DJI about it. However, I do think DJI is missing out on a whole sub-market. Instead of customers having to search sites like eBay, they could get what they want from DJI or and approved vendor.

Chris

Chris
Try Thunderdrones Duluth Georgia.He often has mint used aircraft or possibly new.Fair pricing and expert advice.https://www.thunderdrones.org/

Reactions: Faster
I've seen 'Drone Only' sales at B&H for models such as the Phantom Series Mav Pro's and so on, currently they have the FPV drone only on sale. They are not always there but they do exist.DroneOnly.jpg

Thanks @offtheback and @Ty Pilot, but the problem is I am in Canada and often once you factor in shipping, exchange and duty you are often at more than the cost of just purchasing the standard drone package, whereas if DJI sold or sanctioned vendors to sell just the drone to consumers then it would be easier and more cost effective.

Chris

Reactions: offtheback
mini 2 has pretty garbage image quality
I am not going to get into an image quality debate with you. I have the Mavic 3 which I find has great image quality. For what I would want the Mini 2 for, it’s image quality would be just fine plus image quality is not the topic of this thread.

Chris

Reactions: Clipper707
I am not going to get into an image quality debate with you. I have the Mavic 3 which I find has great image quality. For what I would want the Mini 2 for, it’s image quality would be just fine plus image quality is not the topic of this thread.

Chris
Just tried to say there are sub-250 gram options where you don’t compromise that much on quality. There are sub-250 gram options btw that absolutely destroy your mavic 3, good thing the mavic 3 image quality is good enough for you!

What did you pay for the FPV "drone only" replacement?

My FPV should arrive today, and while I plan to fly timidly for a few weeks, it would be good to know what it would cost me to replace it if I did happen to whack it into the other side of the canyon!

Thx,

MM-FPV!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair