• Yes

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Not worth it stick to DSLR.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mattw996

Reactions
Hi all,
I'm going to Iceland for a long weekend next month and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the drone?
Apart from all the all the national parks being NFZ's there's the high winds and magnetic fields. Have been told I'll be lucky to get in any flights.
Really wanted it for the waterfalls. What are your experiences?

Reactions: DinoYYC
Hi all,
I'm going to Iceland for a long weekend next month and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the drone?
Apart from all the all the national parks being NFZ's there's the high winds and magnetic fields. Have been told I'll be lucky to get in any flights.
No experience but it sounds like a really cool place to fly!

Best of luck!

Hi all,

I had no issues flying mine there in November.

Didn’t get any interference but there were some high winds sometimes. Nothing sport mode couldn’t handle.

Seljalandsfoss & Skógafoss are both no fly zones though.

I got great footage there and is defiantly worth taking the drone!

Reactions: Mattw996
Hi all,

Hi Mattw996,

I went to Iceland in 2016 in early November (beginning of winter, known as the windy season.. I think). I did not have a drone back then however, did take my DSLR and had it out every 2 seconds.

Thinking back now, literally 85-90% of the time it was ridiculously windy. I wouldn't think it'd be suitable drone weather. Although, even knowing that now, I'd definitely still have taken it if I had my Mavic back then. As for the National Parks/waterfalls, I remember seeing a couple of no drone signs but there's far more beauty out there

I'm not smart enough to know how it'd be affected in the magnetic fields ;)

Can't wait to get back there. Very jealous! Keen to see some footage.

Tim

If it's not a hassle, perhaps bring it with you. If you see "No drone" sign or its very windy, then leave it in the bag. And if you take it out, turn on and it says mag interference, turn off and put in back in its bag.
Better to have it than to find you are in a beautiful place, in perfect weather and no restrictions, and regret having left your drone at home.

A colleague of mine shot the most amazing iceland images on his pro. Definitely take it with you....

The National Park's are not no fly zones but it takes months to receive the permits to fly there. This is a relatively recent policy. I had a two month open permit. I've been flying there for 6 years working on a climate change exhibition. It's unfortunate that so many people go there and fly in an unsafe and sometime reckless manner. I've had no technical difficulties flying there. Make sure you perform calibrations upon arrival prior to flying. If you don't take your MP with you you will wish you had however "a long weekend" is not enough time to get where you should go...far from the maddening crowd. Svinafellsjokull DJI_0164.jpg

Reactions: Simmo and Mattw996
Take it.. I was there this time last year, no magnetic interference, didn't even have to calibrate the compass, it's an incredible place, you'll regret not taking it if you get lucky with the wind..

Take it.. I was there this time last year, no magnetic interference, didn't even have to calibrate the compass, it's an incredible place, you'll regret not taking it if you get lucky with the wind..

Great video, also great choice of music.

Reactions: Pedro
Can you save the rest of us the time of digging, and link to where we'd apply for the right permits?
The parks are broken into districts you need to apply to the head of each national park district that you wish to fly in. They will ask for proof of insurance and your license and size and weight of your drone, you have to state to them in advance when you will be flying and what hours of the day you will be flying as well as the specific area you will be flying. Most importantly they want to know what is the purpose of your flying which must be clearly spelled out on the application. The day of your flight you phone the local park person and notify them you will be flying and informing them as to where and what time. The permits are only issued on a day by day basis, weeks in advance in most cases. I got a variance because of the work I do and who I'm working for. It seems detailed doesn't it. That's because of all the complete morons who've gone to Iceland without a clue about how to fly with courtesy and safety in mind. The parks are trying to protect wildlife habitat and make the parks enjoyable for people who have no interest in drones and are annoyed by them. You cannot fly in any areas where groups of people congregate.

The parks are broken into districts you need to apply to the head of each national park district that you wish to fly in. They will ask for proof of insurance and your license and size and weight of your drone, you have to state to them in advance when you will be flying and what hours of the day you will be flying as well as the specific area you will be flying. Most importantly they want to know what is the purpose of your flying which must be clearly spelled out on the application. The day of your flight you phone the local park person and notify them you will be flying and informing them as to where and what time. The permits are only issued on a day by day basis, weeks in advance in most cases. I got a variance because of the work I do and who I'm working for. It seems detailed doesn't it. That's because of all the complete morons who've gone to Iceland without a clue about how to fly with courtesy and safety in mind. The parks are trying to protect wildlife habitat and make the parks enjoyable for people who have no interest in drones and are annoyed by them. You cannot fly in any areas where groups of people congregate.

That's an incredible change in 12 months.. Last March we didn't see one drone sign and there was no requirement to pre-register, nobody approached us and nobody batted an eyelid when we were flying.

I do always fly courteously and the dozen or so other drones we saw were also flown considerately but I guess it's always the minority that spoil things for the majority.

That's an incredible change in 12 months.. Last March we didn't see one drone sign and there was no requirement to pre-register, nobody approached us and nobody batted an eyelid when we were flying.

I do always fly courteously and the dozen or so other drones we saw were also flown considerately but I guess it's always the minority that spoil things for the majority.
It is indeed a seismic shift from the way things used to be. However it is completely necessary given what I've witnessed. Those of us like yourself are a tiny minority of drone owners these days. Many of the other owners have complete disregard for others and lack basic common sense. They do not know how to operate a drone responsibly and we are all paying the price.

Hi again,

I'm contemplating going back to Iceland maybe in the summer this time. Can you apply for permission to fly from the heads of the national parks in advance?

It's strange there's nothing about this on this page: https://www.icetra.is/aviation/drones/

Thanks.

Reactions: zero1981

Epic! What a truly fantastic production. Love the bit in the middle where the visuals quickly change with the beat - heart-thumping stuff. If I could produce something like that I would die happy.

Epic! What a truly fantastic production. Love the bit in the middle where the visuals quickly change with the beat - heart-thumping stuff. If I could produce something like that I would die happy.

That's very kind of you to say that, thank you.. :)

I have to admit to being pretty proud of that video although I wish I had been more daring with my flying and used more of the Mavic's other photo functions that I was unaware of when we went hence me wanting to go back again albeit with an Air now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing..

Hi all,
So how did it go?
Did you bring your Mavic Pro?How was it?
I am travelling to to Iceland this weekend April 21 for 10 days circling the island and I can’t
wait to fly my Mavic Pro there. Hoping the weather would cooperate

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin