DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IDIOTS with DRONES!

Cookedinlh

Reactions
Some people are just acting like "Idiots"

This morning CBC Halifax (Canadian Broadcasting Corp., radio and website) posted a well written article by staff reporter David Burke who interviewed me last Friday by phone. It's about the risks posed by irresponsible people with drones . . . I called them "IDIOTS" in the interview. To clarify . . I was referring to guys like these . . .
Typical Drone Idiot #1 This guy even shows exactly where he took off from
Typical Drone Idiot #2 start it the 1:30 Mark. you can see him even moving to get closer

For clarification, my comments were to emphasize that "no drone is a threat unless it's in the hands of an irresponsible person who knows little about aviation . . and those people are the only REAL threat to bringing down an aircraft and killing people when they intentionally go above 400 ft or try to capture dramatic shots of airliners taking off and landing" Fortunately, that risk is still extremely low . . Unfortunately, it is a measurable risk that is growing all too quickly.
I've posted this on my website "drone issues" page but here's a direct link to the CBC website

If you ever come across one of these "pilots" talk to them nicely but ask them why they are being so irresponsible!

Last edited:
Your Idiot #1 & #2 links are to the same video.

Some people are just acting like "Idiots"

This morning CBC Halifax (Canadian Broadcasting Corp., radio and website) posted a well written article by staff reporter David Burke who interviewed me last Friday by phone. It's about the risks posed by irresponsible people with drones . . . I called them "IDIOTS" in the interview. To clarify . . I was referring to guys like these . . .
Typical Drone Idiot #1 This guy even shows exactly where he took off from
Typical Drone Idiot #2 start it the 1:30 Mark. you can see him even moving to get closer

I've posted this on my website "drone issues" page but here's a direct link to the CBC website

If you ever come across one of these "pilots" talk to them nicely but ask them why they are being so irresponsible!

Them you have the quote from the pilot that he observed a drone following him, 20 ft from his wing at 3000 ft. That must have been one seriously hyped up quadcopter and extremely experienced qc pilot! Or, possibly a fixed wing jet uav.
I mention this because all the drone images in the article appear to be DJI Phantoms and Mavics. I agree that the idiots are out there and potentially ruining it for all of us but it seems that one in control of a uav that can keep up with a manned aircraft and maintain 20 ft distance at 3000 ft altitude is in a class of their own.
Too bad we're all lumped together as "drone" pilots. I would hope that in any legislation there is appropriate differentiation between types of uav.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Them you have the quote from the pilot that he observed a drone following him, 20 ft from his wing at 3000 ft. That must have been one seriously hyped up quadcopter and extremely experienced qc pilot! Or, possibly a fixed wing jet uav.
I mention this because all the drone images in the article appear to be DJI Phantoms and Mavics. I agree that the idiots are out there and potentially ruining it for all of us but it seems that one in control of a uav that can keep up with a manned aircraft and maintain 20 ft distance at 3000 ft altitude is in a class of their own.
Too bad we're all lumped together as "drone" pilots. I would hope that in any legislation there is appropriate differentiation between types of uav.
I agree, there are many fixed wing drones with the legs to do that. You might have noticed the first guy looks like a fixed wing type that probably heard the jet coming and was all set to intercept just try and get something viral to post. I wonder if he ever goes back to that same spot and tries again.

I agree, there are many fixed wing drones with the legs to do that. You might have noticed the first guy looks like a fixed wing type that probably heard the jet coming and was all set to intercept just try and get something viral to post. I wonder if he ever goes back to that same spot and tries again.
Part of our problem though is how reporters present their story. After reading that article, most people not familiar with Phantoms and Mavics will see one of us with our qc and think that we are playing with a lethal device.
This is NOT responsible reporting.

Part of our problem though is how reporters present their story. After reading that article, most people not familiar with Phantoms and Mavics will see one of us with our qc and think that we are playing with a lethal device.
This is NOT responsible reporting.
Again I can agree with that . . .It seems very hard to discuss drones with media because they find no place for articles that focus on the good they do unless you save a life. . everything else "column fodder" and does not sell, so they revert to sensationalizing everything. My comments were to emphasize that For clarification, my comments were to emphasize that "no drone is a threat unless it's in the hands of an irresponsible person who knows little about aviation . . and those people are the only REAL threat to bringing down an aircraft and killing people when they intentionally go above 400 ft or try to capture dramatic shots of airliners taking off and landing"
Fortunately, that risk is still extremely low . . Unfortunately, it is a measurable risk that is growing all too quickly.

Unfortunately, a phone interview never get's that precise and the interviewer hears what they want to. I will have to take a course on dealing with the media. I don't think Dave Burke, the reporter, was being irresponsible in his reporting but I think he already had a story line in mind when we spoke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken K

Yeah, that drone took off just in time to intercept that jet. He defiantly did it on purpose. And it did climb a lot fast than my Mavic Pro. Plus the way it was filming at the end didn't seem like a quad type drone could perform that maneuver. Total idiot.

Reporters doing a story on "idiots" and drones are seeking to confirm a narrative, "confirmation bias," and they never have to go far to find someone eager to be on TV to satisfy it.

1538957202195.png

It's not my job, or my desire, to correct the actions of others. 1538957202195.png

Reporters are indeed selective. I used to work for animal control. Kid got bitten by a big dog. Reporters were all set to make a big story about it, believing it was a pit bull. If I remember right, it was a chow, who are a very unpredictable breed. As soon as reporters found out, they backed off interviewing us.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair