DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If at first you don't succeed....

tccrouch

Reactions
Just wanted to post a story about recovering my drone to give people with "unrecoverable" drones some hope. I was flying around some wooded areas this winter, over unpopulated property, and my M2P started drifting slightly towards trees and I screwed up and pushed the stick to the wrong side. Suddenly my bird was permanently nested in branches. Leaves were gone, so easy to see, but about 110 feet up. I don't have any equipment to get that high, and was unable to figure out a way to pull it down with my second drone without risking loising it as well. And unfortunately DJI Care is useless without something to send back. So I left, dejected. No idea who's property it is, so didn't really feel comfortable hiring someone to come out with equipment onto someone else's place. Well I went back about a week ago, about 6 months since the crash, after spring growth and leaves coming out and a couple good storms, and what do you know....there it was laying on the ground next to the tree it was previously stuck in. Obviously it was dead, water logged and not sky worthy, but all I had to do was send it in and DJI is sending a replacement. Moral of the story, if you have DJI care, make sure you go back at a later time and see if it may have come out of the tree or washed up on shore...you might just save a few hundred dollars on replacing it.

Just wanted to post a story about recovering my drone to give people with "unrecoverable" drones some hope. I was flying around some wooded areas this winter, over unpopulated property, and my M2P started drifting slightly towards trees and I screwed up and pushed the stick to the wrong side. Suddenly my bird was permanently nested in branches. Leaves were gone, so easy to see, but about 110 feet up. I don't have any equipment to get that high, and was unable to figure out a way to pull it down with my second drone without risking loising it as well. And unfortunately DJI Care is useless without something to send back. So I left, dejected. No idea who's property it is, so didn't really feel comfortable hiring someone to come out with equipment onto someone else's place. Well I went back about a week ago, about 6 months since the crash, after spring growth and leaves coming out and a couple good storms, and what do you know....there it was laying on the ground next to the tree it was previously stuck in. Obviously it was dead, water logged and not sky worthy, but all I had to do was send it in and DJI is sending a replacement. Moral of the story, if you have DJI care, make sure you go back at a later time and see if it may have come out of the tree or washed up on shore...you might just save a few hundred dollars on replacing it.
Glad you got taken care of!

Did you get the replacement yet?
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the replacement went well, just came in yesterday, going to bind with my remote today. Nice part of DJI care is it doesn't matter how much the screwup was your fault, if you recover the drone to return, then you can get a replacement. The DJI Care Refresh Express thing was great...new one (with props and battery) shipped the day after my return got to DJI. Maybe would be an issue for a professional who can't have downtime, because it was about 1.5 weeks from submitting the ticket to a new M2P, but I would think anyone on that tight of a timeframe would have a backup anyways. For a recreational pilot like me, it wasn't a problem at all and was actually faster and less hassle than I thought it would be.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, the replacement went well, just came in yesterday, going to bind with my remote today. Nice part of DJI care is it doesn't matter how much the screwup was your fault, if you recover the drone to return, then you can get a replacement. The DJI Care Refresh Express thing was great...new one (with props and battery) shipped the day after my return got to DJI. .....

Very good to hear. Well played and good luck with your new one.

......Maybe would be an issue for a professional who can't have downtime, because it was about 1.5 weeks from submitting the ticket to a new M2P, but I would think anyone on that tight of a timeframe would have a backup anyways. For a recreational pilot like me, it wasn't a problem at all and was actually faster and less hassle than I thought it would be.
Very true!!

When you rely on this as a "tool of your trade" you don't have just one. We learned this the hard way a few years ago.... when it matters you have a backup and in many cases we have backups for our backups LOL

1 is none and 2 is 1 when it's about getting the job done :)

Allen

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
I am exper
I am going through a similar situation now...........See the thread "Death Of A Mavic 2 Pro" on this forum for details. I lost my craft at the bottom of a waterfall in the National Forest, at a well visited site, so I hope the finder will respond to the ID and phone # attached to the craft if they find it before I get back there. No DJI care on this one. If I can retrieve the SD card, I will be very happy.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54