DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If I wanted to get into building an fpv acro or racing quad...

mrwagdog

Reactions
Hey all,

Watching the Johnny FPV videos got me thinking about getting into fpv flying.

I've been flying toy drones for many years. I finally got a MP at the beginning of April of this year and have been having a blast with it. The point of mentioning that is I realize I still have a lot to learn, but I'm not a newbie either. I also have extensive electronics building and debugging experience and have built several transceivers and amplifiers from scratch. i.e. I have an oscope and know how to use it.

I think I'd like to build an fpv racing drone. Not necessarily something high performance, but something fun to play with.

Has anyone here done this? Would it be good to start with a kit? Which one? Any recommendations or resources you could share?

Thanks in advance.

Mine started when I had an OcuSync Air Module with nothing to attach it to, so I built a drone around it. Now my racer has a 7km range as well. :D
Lol - that's awesome. Is there a build thread about it? Do you have any pics or video?

Lol - that's awesome. Is there a build thread about it? Do you have any pics or video?
I do not have a thread about it, but I can show you a pick. Not the cleanest build, being my first one of course, but it flies, fast. The theoretical speed is about 160 Kph, or 100 mph. Haven’t tested it yet though.

I do not have a thread about it, but I can show you a pick. Not the cleanest build, being my first one of course, but it flies, fast. The theoretical speed is about 160 Kph, or 100 mph. Haven’t tested it yet though.
A pic would be great! Thanks!

Hey all,
Has anyone here done this? Would it be good to start with a kit? Which one? Any recommendations or resources you could share?

Thanks in advance.

I have a Mavic, Phantom and several long range quads and wings. For building a racing quad I have 2 recommendations, both on YouTube:
Look up Painless360 and Joshua Bardwell

How far of range do you have . I want something that can do ten miles . Our family trapline is 6 townships in size so I have endless space to play

RC Groups is a great forum and resource.
Hobbyking sell a host of stuff.
Mark my words, FPV racing drones cost!!! You will constantly be repairing it, and finding bigger/smarter ESC's motors etc!!
But its darn good fun!

Really good info on this thread here. I didn't know you could get into it so cheap after buying the MP. Thanks for the new addiction! =/

Canuk, I share your desire to do 10 miles, but must say you have a bit of a road ahead of you to get there. My gear has only been tested to around 3 miles. You will need to do some studying, probably need to research control and video frequencies, build a ground station, etc. The DJI products have made a complex process very easy, but not to 10 miles... This forum is really not the best place to talk about DIY long range. You might do some searching about Vector units and INAV for quads and wings. Also, to build a quad that makes it 10 miles you will be limited by battery capacity and weight. Guys have done it, but well its a long road to get there. Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98