DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If no manual ATTI mode, then returning Mavic

Lol - coming from the P3p to the Mavic I felt the same way initially. I have had mine since November. I was one of the first to own one and I can tell you ... you won't need ATTITUDE mode. I think it's a nice feature to have. I used it to gauge wind direction and wind speed every flight with the phantom but only once did I swap to ATTI mode in an emergency.

Just remember the Mavic is essentially a P4. It has some redundancy that the P3s don't have. To be honest, I have had rock solid DJI products. No complaints here.

Reactions: sorka
Lol - coming from the P3p to the Mavic I felt the same way initially. I have had mine since November. I was one of the first to own one and I can tell you ... you won't need ATTITUDE mode. I think it's a nice feature to have. I used it to gauge wind direction and wind speed every flight with the phantom but only once did I swap to ATTI mode in an emergency.

Just remember the Mavic is essentially a P4. It has some redundancy that the P3s don't have. To be honest, I have had rock solid DJI products. No complaints here.

Thank you. That's very encouraging.

The Mavic has been very reliable craft for me. I refused to buy a P3 for years after watching video after video of flyaways. They were actually quite comical.

Mavic has dual IMUs, dual compass, and an error checking processor to make sure the received data is right.

On firmware .700 and below you may be able to modify flight parameters like NFZs, height restrictions, etc. It DJI assistant program has a back door that basically allows you to set up your craft as if you were building one. There is an attitude mode switch that can be enabled. It'll probably replace Sport or GPS mode.

The Mavic has been very reliable craft for me. I refused to buy a P3 for years after watching video after video of flyaways. They were actually quite comical.

Mavic has dual IMUs, dual compass, and an error checking processor to make sure the received data is right.

On firmware .700 and below you may be able to modify flight parameters like NFZs, height restrictions, etc. It DJI assistant program has a back door that basically allows you to set up your craft as if you were building one. There is an attitude mode switch that can be enabled. It'll probably replace Sport or GPS mode.
Anyone try that setting?

Would be nice if you could put it on c1 or c2 or like hold pause or something like that ...

I have a P4P and a Mavic. Flying the P4P in ATTI mode is pretty easy, but the Mavic? Not again. Unless I am in a wide open space, I would not take off in ATTI mode. I believe there is a very good reason why DJI don't let us have ATTI with Mavic.

Anyone try that setting?

Would be nice if you could put it on c1 or c2 or like hold pause or something like that ...

I did and the only option is to use the sport mode switch and change this to ATTI switch.

The issue with ATTI on the Mavic is that (at least in my unit) it wants to move back wards and slightly left (about 2 mph).

Reactions: TheLightSpeed!
I did and the only option is to use the sport mode switch and change this to ATTI switch.

The issue with ATTI on the Mavic is that (at least in my unit) it wants to move back wards and slightly left (about 2 mph).
Even if you have IMU calibration?

Even if you have IMU calibration?

Tried IMU calibration to the point where I built a small glass table that I adjusted x and y to be within a 0.3 degree

I am waiting on another tool from russia called cFixer to see if I can further improve the calibration by degaussing the Mavic then recalibrating it.

Ugh! I can't believe I didn't scope this out prior to buying my mavic. I've just learned there's no way to switch to ATTI mode manually. This is totally unacceptable. I've had 3 fly aways with my P3P where immediately switching to ATTI mode saved my aircraft. Having 200+ hours on manual quads, I'm very comfortable removing the nannies and flying manually.

I understand that it will switch to ATTI mode in the event of a detected compass or GPS error, but I've had fly aways start where I switched to ATTI mode and saved the aircraft from hitting something *before* the aircraft realized that there was an error.

Did DJI improve something about the Mavic that makes it much faster to detect compass or GPS errors? I see the forum is still filled with the occasional fly away sad stories just like the phantom sections.

My guess is that DJI did this to prevent inexeperienced pilots from losing control of their aircraft and that they did this believing they'd prevent more crashes by inexeperienced owners than the crashes that experienced owners ould prevent by having instance access to full manual control.

Is there any work around for this? I saw that some had programmed the sport mode button to switch to ATTI mode but that is now been prevented in the latest firmware update.

You can change the sport mode button to an ATTI mode button with parameter changes. You'll need to look for Digdat0's youtube videos on how to change parameters in DJI Assistant. We cannot give details on hack in the forums.

ATTI = Attitude Mode. The barometer keeps working, in an attempt to hold the craft at altitude, but that's about the only thing helping the operator during flight. The craft is otherwise fully at the mercy of wind, updrafts...etc.

Not at all . Attitude gives much more help to the operator than altitude . We are not talking Manual mode here as a race drone would be flown in . In Atti-mode the barometer holds altitude while the accelerometers/gyros etc keep the craft in level flight . It simply does not have GPS to hold the craft in one precise location over the earth . ALL the operator has to do is account for wind drift which is basically moving (1) stick in the opposite direction that the wind is blowing it . It's really not that difficult folks .

Wow some of the comments on here against ATTI are surprising and quite frankly just ignorant. It's not an ego thing at all especially when you've come from past DJI aircraft or any GPS/compass based drone for that matter. All of those systems have situations where they work against the user and can cause flyaways. Yes, things have evolved and they have gotten more reliable than on past aircraft. That said there are still situations I read about regularly on the forums where the cause of a crash was from an environmental situation where the GPS or compass were confused and added they're own inputs to cause a loss of control which resulted in loss or crash of the aircraft. How many times have we read about crashes from people trying to fly in indoor locations where they lose or can't acquire GPS? How about flying under a bridge where the magnetic interference can be an issue? How about flying in between tall buildings or objects where the GPS signals are reflected and tries to fly to a confused position?

Second thing is if you have practiced and are comfortable flying in ATTI mode it can be a much more enjoyable flying experience. Flying in GPS has its place but there are things it does that feels like it's fighting your inputs and has a sticky feeling. Not to mention there are shots and camera moves that that can be accomplished that are much more difficult to achieve in GPS mode.

I've setup my Mavic with the switch based ATTI mode and it responds as ATTI mode should respond. It does have a slightly different feel to say a Phantom on ATTI mode but from what I suspect it just comes down to the way the gyro gains have been tuned as well as the distribution of mass differences between the two. It never acted in a way that was unexpected so far.

You can change the sport mode button to an ATTI mode button with parameter changes. You'll need to look for Digdat0's youtube videos on how to change parameters in DJI Assistant. We cannot give details on hack in the forums.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that loophole was just closed in the last firmware update, right?

Is yours moving back and left even with the correct stick inputs to prevent that? Does it do that no matter which orientation to the wind you are?

Go to the mods section and you will find how to change firmware. Digdat0 has a nice post there on how to downgrade firmware.

Edit: Actually, here is the link:

How to rollback Mavic firmware

Ugh! That would mean I have to stare at the "firmware update" required warning every time.

Do you know if they disabled being able to change flight parameters in debug mode such as max pitch and roll angle in sport mode?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada