DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you like old trains:

The day before I was 20 feet away from it at a road crossing where it sounded it's whistle, my closest ear hurt for half an hour. The old saying "they don't build like that anymore" sure applies.

It is wonderful that the Union Pacific RR takes the time and expense to bring it out for so many to enjoy. People reported driving 700 miles to see the beast and many drove hours for the experience. Some spend a few days following it from stop to stop. It is a Rock Star of US RR.

Last edited:
As much as we have these incredibly advanced modern DJI drones and such in our lives, something like this old steam loco is just so beautiful in its own right.

They will endure in peoples fascination with them.
Just look at the build, both the solidness and intricacy of the parts in your early stills, magnificent.

Loved the early shots from behind as all you could see was the smoke / steam.

What are they burning in that ?
Coal / coke is a lot darker smoke, that was almost pure white ?
Maybe some sort of modern environmentally friendly steam train fuel, or they have a diesel hidden in there and pump out clean fake smoke !!

As much as we have these incredibly advanced modern DJI drones and such in our lives, something like this old steam loco is just so beautiful in its own right.

They will endure in peoples fascination with them.
Just look at the build, both the solidness and intricacy of the parts in your early stills, magnificent.

Loved the early shots from behind as all you could see was the smoke / steam.

What are they burning in that ?
Coal / coke is a lot darker smoke, that was almost pure white ?
Maybe some sort of modern environmentally friendly steam train fuel, or they have a diesel hidden in there and pump out clean fake smoke !!

If you watch towards the end as it is going away it is plain that there is a diesel locomotive in the train. I imagine it is doing much of the work to save wear and tear on the old guy. It now burns # 5 oil/diesel to create steam, not as much black smoke and no cinders to catch the woods on fire.

Last edited:
That would make sense but so nice to see the old locos in action. No matter how much modern tech we have it’s nice to revisit the past and the drones let us see that from a new perspective. What better way to show the positive side of drone use.

Reactions: parkgt
Awesome! Didn’t want to fast forward that one, beautiful flying and video. Especially enjoyed the parts before the train reached civilization.
Thank you. Capt

Best train video I’ve seen on this site. Living on the Pacific Coast has something to do with it. Also good choice of music ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121