DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm a noob.why download offline maps

saltcodnewfie

Reactions
Hi, what is the reason to download offline maps ? I just got the mavic pro.
I'm using the Samsung S7 , any helpful tips to use with this phone.

Some of the best places to fly and photograph are away from civilization, where the cellular signal may be weak or non-existent. The live maps will not work in these places.

Also, many people like to turn off their phone's wireless features by putting it in "airplane mode" so that no incoming calls, emails, or texts can interfere with their flying. Again, no live maps in this case either.

And then there are people like me who have a dedicated device that is only used for flying the Mavic. It has no SIM card, so downloading offline maps is it for me ... when they work. But that's a different matter.

Hi, what is the reason to download offline maps ? I just got the mavic pro.
I'm using the Samsung S7 , any helpful tips to use with this phone.
I'm not sure if flyers actually use the maps or just feel they should have them.
I think I've used the map twice in four years and think the radar display is much more useful.
If you don't need the map, there's no need to worry about it.

Some of the best places to fly and photograph are away from civilization, where the cellular signal may be weak or non-existent. The live maps will not work in these places.

Also, many people like to turn off their phone's wireless features by putting it in "airplane mode" so that no incoming calls, emails, or texts can interfere with their flying. Again, no live maps in this case either.

And then there are people like me who have a dedicated device that is only used for flying the Mavic. It has no SIM card, so downloading offline maps is it for me ... when they work. But that's a different matter.
Thanks for the reply, do I need a cell signal to fly? I thought it just used GPS ? thanks.

Thanks for the reply, do I need a cell signal to fly? I thought it just used GPS ? thanks.
You can fly in the middle of the desert or the ocean.
You don't need a cell signal to fly.
The drone has its own GPS receiver and doesn't even need to GPS in your phone (because what's important is knowing where the drone is - not your phone).

Ok, so I'm still curious why I'd need to download maps if the drone uses GPS ?
GPS only provides position data (lat&long) to the app which can plot the position on the map.
If you don't have the map data, the position will plot on a blank map.
You don't NEED to download maps but some flyers like to use them.

GPS only provides position data (lat&long) to the app which can plot the position on the map.
If you don't have the map data, the position will plot on a blank map.
You don't NEED to download maps but some flyers like to use them.
Oh ok.....thanks., a different topic, is there a SD card (make / size ) that works best in the mavic pro drone ?

I use the map, but not as main focus. I particularly find the line between AC and H point useful.

I like to have the satellite maps available just as an emergency way of keeping situational awareness. I've had a time or two where I've briefly lost sight of the drone on accident (had to look away at one of my kids or something or other...) and with some visual cues on the map it was a bit quicker to locate. Could you do the same without the maps? Sure, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have them available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jspeer2