DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm buying the Pro because I can use it to zoom too

Apocalypso

Reactions
OK, bear with me. I'm a photographer at heart, and currently own a MP I. At first I was not decided on which MP II to "upgrade" to, when I do. Then I slowly realized for my needs and desires, the MP Pro II is the way to go for me, and that doesn't mean I can't get the benefits of "some" zoom capability.

The zoom Mavic has essentially the MP I camera with a zoom lens on it. Still "only" 12MP resolution and a small sensor. The Pro II has a bigger 20 MP sensor - more dynamic range, more resolution, more light sensitivity and or course a very adjustable f stop. And one could assume a nicer lens. Because a zoom is a sacrifice on IQ compared to a fixed lens. Lots of very nice advantages over the zoom.

But what about cropping images and video when you want to have a zoom effect from the MP Pro II?

In many ways, cropping and zooming are equivalent, so you can easily calculate what's possible. Let's consider still photos. Cropping (zoom equivalence) by 2X is equivalent to zooming from 28mm to 56mm. 20 MP image is 5472 x 3648, so 2 X crop means image is 2,736 x 1,824 or 5MP. Now, 5MP is a lot worse resolution than the Zoom's resolution of 12MP, but still could be enough for "online" photos in some cases. Look at this another way... what crop factor could you get that would reduce the Pro's 20MP to 12MP, to compare directly to the MP Zoom? Well, the answer is 1.3. That yields a 4,209 x 2,806 image and a focal length equivalence of 28 x 1.3 = 36mm. Not the 2x of the zoom, but it does give you some zoom "capability" from 28mm to 36mm at the same resolution as the MP Zoom.

So, that's what I'm thinking, anyone else had similar thoughts or opinions on this?

OK, bear with me. I'm a photographer at heart, and currently own a MP I. At first I was not decided on which MP II to "upgrade" to, when I do. Then I slowly realized for my needs and desires, the MP Pro II is the way to go for me, and that doesn't mean I can't get the benefits of "some" zoom capability.

The zoom Mavic has essentially the MP I camera with a zoom lens on it. Still "only" 12MP resolution and a small sensor. The Pro II has a bigger 20 MP sensor - more dynamic range, more resolution, more light sensitivity and or course a very adjustable f stop. And one could assume a nicer lens. Because a zoom is a sacrifice on IQ compared to a fixed lens. Lots of very nice advantages over the zoom.

But what about cropping images and video when you want to have a zoom effect from the MP Pro II?

In many ways, cropping and zooming are equivalent, so you can easily calculate what's possible. Let's consider still photos. Cropping (zoom equivalence) by 2X is equivalent to zooming from 28mm to 56mm. 20 MP image is 5472 x 3648, so 2 X crop means image is 2,736 x 1,824 or 5MP. Now, 5MP is a lot worse resolution than the Zoom's resolution of 12MP, but still could be enough for "online" photos in some cases. Look at this another way... what crop factor could you get that would reduce the Pro's 20MP to 12MP, to compare directly to the MP Zoom? Well, the answer is 1.3. That yields a 4,209 x 2,806 image and a focal length equivalence of 28 x 1.3 = 36mm. Not the 2x of the zoom, but it does give you some zoom "capability" from 28mm to 36mm at the same resolution as the MP Zoom.

So, that's what I'm thinking, anyone else had similar thoughts or opinions on this?
That was exactly what I was thinking when I pressed the pay button for my M2P.

I just could not forgive myself for not getting the variable aperture and 1" sensor.

The increased clarity they yield are far and above anything anyone else offers and will likely maintain that lead for the foreseeable future.

If I need a closer shot, I'll fly in for it.

I am also a photographer that has been waiting to buy my first drone.

I have been meaning to do this exact mathematical gymnastics as I tried to pick between these two devices. I had been confused because I had seen the zoom capability of the Zoom to be either 2x or 4x. I was assuming that it was 2x optical and 4x electronic. I which case I could ignore the 4x.

I will still need some more information an actual sensor performance before I pull the trigger, but I'm leaning the Pro.

kbanes

Reactions: Elton Hammonds

That works fine for still images where you have access to the full resolution of the sensor. You can certainly crop in post to get lower res images that are still sharp. Technically, they could provide this ability in video such as Anafi has done, but apparently they have not. You do not have access to full res video to do it in post. You can crop 4K to 1080 though if that is your final output resolution.

That works fine for still images where you have access to the full resolution of the sensor. You can certainly crop in post to get lower res images that are still sharp. Technically, they could provide this ability in video such as Anafi has done, but apparently they have not. You do not have access to full res video to do it in post. You can crop 4K to 1080 though if that is your final output resolution.

With the Pro you can select HQ video mode which is a cropped video mode. (Field of View goes from 75 degrees to 55 degrees, equivalent of going from 28mm to 42mm)

so am I to understand the Pro doesn't even have digital zoom?

I've not found anywhere that says that the Pro II does, but plenty of places that say the Pro II Zoom has both physical and digital zoom. But, you have HQ mode on the Pro for video which is roughly equivalent to digital zoom and the ability to crop photos in post, which is what digital zoom is, basically.

I've not found anywhere that says that the Pro II does, but plenty of places that say the Pro II Zoom has both physical and digital zoom. But, you have HQ mode on the Pro for video which is roughly equivalent to digital zoom and the ability to crop photos in post, which is what digital zoom is, basically.

Understood, digital zoom on board would be nice for scouting.

Understood, digital zoom on board would be nice for scouting.
Absolutely! Ah, but life's a tradeoff. I can't help but think that DJI left off digital zoom from the Pro II because they thought it might render the Zoom less of a distinct choice. Because putting digital zoom in would have been trivial, there's absolutely no technical reason why they left it off.

i checked but didn't see any option for "zoom" on my menus when i tried to set it up on the 5D button on the remote control of my MAVIC 2 PRO...

option was present on the MAVIC PRO Original.

so i guess digital zoom does not exist of the MAVIC 2 PRO.

Anyway i also am ok with this as a trade off to a 1 inch sensor.

and also, about the dolly zoom, not a thing i'd use often but if i need it, it's fairly easy to execute in post...even for a beginner video-editor like me

I currently have a MPP and my favorite flying is scouting for wildlife at our place in Montana. We are in remote area at the base of the mountains. Of course the best time to scope for bears and other critters is early morning or a couple hours before dusk. You have to be able to find the critters to film them and I find it difficult with the MPP in low light. Of course a true optical zoom might help.

I will fly low to find animals but If I spot an animal worth filming I will not get so low as to bother the animal.

What do you guys think would be a better choice for spotting bears or other animals? 1" sensor for low light or the optical zoom?

Finally I'm not crazy about the reports that the MP2 is louder than the MPP (update: some people saying it's louder but sounds softer so not as annoying).

Last edited:
With the Pro you can select HQ video mode which is a cropped video mode. (Field of View goes from 75 degrees to 55 degrees, equivalent of going from 28mm to 42mm)

It reduces the field of view so "crops" but it doesn't/cant recreate the perspective compression you'd get from optically zooming in.

I can see people using HQ a lot because its the only one to provide the 10 bit video data anyway.

I currently have a MPP and my favorite flying is scouting for wildlife at our place in Montana. We are in remote area at the base of the mountains. Of course the best time to scope for bears and other critters is early morning or a couple hours before dusk. You have to be able to find the critters to film them and I find it difficult with the MPP in low light. Of course a true optical zoom might help.

I will fly low to find animals but If I spot an animal worth filming I will not get so low as to bother the animal.

What do you guys think would be a better choice for spotting bears or other animals? 1" sensor for low light or the optical zoom?

Finally I'm not crazy about the reports that the MP2 is louder than the MPP (update: some people saying it's louder but sounds softer so not as annoying).
It has more surface area on the props, which is required for the extra weight and that's what creates the additional 2db of noise.

My undestanding is the HQ mode is higher quality video because it's scaling down the image too. I thought I read that.

Reactions: marin849
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu