DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm Furious! Mini 3 Pro Can't Fly Waypoint Missions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That settles it. I've been considering upgrading from my M2 Pro to either MP3 or Mini 3 Pro. I'm not buying either until the E versions (or the SDKs are available. And the Mini 3 E only if it is still under 250 grams (it would be my foreign travel drone).
The recently-announced Mini 3 is still <250g, & the ability to fly waypoints is simply a matter of software, so if & when DJI either makes that ability or the SDK available, you should be good to go.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting, though.

Reactions: pyrolator
Stay on topic people. Just deleted a couple and will close this thread if it continues.

Reactions: old man mavic
I purchased a Mavic Pro many years ago when they first came out. I LOVED IT! I found that the most valuable and most used feature was to fly waypoint missions using Litchi and DroneDeploy for automomous mapping and scenic smoothly flowing cinematic videos. When the Mini 3 Pro came out, I was excited about the new technology, smaller size, excellent camera capability etc and so I bought one. Now that I am becoming more familiar with the Mini 3 Pro, I find that DJI no longer provides waypoint capability and THAT MAKES ME FURIOUS!!!

There was nothing made clear in DJI's marketing of the mini 3 that waypoints were no longer included. Why did DJI eliminate that capability? I've seen many discussions on the possibility of DJI providing it in the future but can DJI confirm that it is in the works? If yes, when? This is a serious downgrade in DJI drone capability and if not addressed, I'm going to get rid of my mini and stick with my mavic pro.

Thoughts??
I had to check it out before a trade with air 2 and found it didn,t have enough , to hang with grand pa on missions don,t know what that means in tech but makes them kinda useless in search missions let us know if you get one to work

I purchased a Mavic Pro many years ago when they first came out. I LOVED IT! I found that the most valuable and most used feature was to fly waypoint missions using Litchi and DroneDeploy for automomous mapping and scenic smoothly flowing cinematic videos. When the Mini 3 Pro came out, I was excited about the new technology, smaller size, excellent camera capability etc and so I bought one. Now that I am becoming more familiar with the Mini 3 Pro, I find that DJI no longer provides waypoint capability and THAT MAKES ME FURIOUS!!!

There was nothing made clear in DJI's marketing of the mini 3 that waypoints were no longer included. Why did DJI eliminate that capability? I've seen many discussions on the possibility of DJI providing it in the future but can DJI confirm that it is in the works? If yes, when? This is a serious downgrade in DJI drone capability and if not addressed, I'm going to get rid of my mini and stick with my mavic pro.

Thoughts??
I was really excited when I read that the latest FLY app offered support for waypoints. I was a tad narked to discover that it was exclusively for hyperlapse. Waypoints "mission" planning is an incredibly useful feature that I use regularly for streamlining accurate shot captures when surveying a large area of ground. Use Drone Harmony in conjunction with my old(??) M2Z and end up with high definition stitched landscape and façade panoramics I am genuinely happy to hand over to a client. Sadly... no SDK for the Mini 3 Pro means no Drone Harmony waypoints surveys. I genuinely wish the DJI hackers would shoehorn the code for DJI GO4/DJI PILOT-style waypoints flights into the FLY app or release the SDK. All the hardware necessary for this function (proximity sensors) are bolted to the Mini 3 Pro as standard... so it's just a few hundred lines of code that are stopping everyone dead in their tracks.

Reactions: BroomRider
I was really excited when I read that the latest FLY app offered support for waypoints. I was a tad narked to discover that it was exclusively for hyperlapse. Waypoints "mission" planning is an incredibly useful feature that I use regularly for streamlining accurate shot captures when surveying a large area of ground. Use Drone Harmony in conjunction with my old(??) M2Z and end up with high definition stitched landscape and façade panoramics I am genuinely happy to hand over to a client. Sadly... no SDK for the Mini 3 Pro means no Drone Harmony waypoints surveys. I genuinely wish the DJI hackers would shoehorn the code for DJI GO4/DJI PILOT-style waypoints flights into the FLY app or release the SDK. All the hardware necessary for this function (proximity sensors) are bolted to the Mini 3 Pro as standard... so it's just a few hundred lines of code that are stopping everyone dead in their tracks.
I concur with the previous comments, re: the “Pro” in the M3P name, is merely for marketing purposes; it seems that the M3P is still, & will most likely continue to be, regarded as a “toy” by DJI.

It's evident that DJI wants people to buy the professional series of drones if they want the waypoint planning ability, or hold onto their older drones that came with the waypoint feature enabled.

I think it would be doing everyone who might be considering purchasing the M3P a favor by mentioning DJI's lack of support for that, not to mention, reneging on their promise, & giving DJI a bit of an eye-poke in the process.

Surely, if there were a market for a hacked software version enabling that, someone will certainly step up to the plate; sooner or later, DJI's incessant warnings of dire consequences will cease to have any meaning 1nce the warranty expires, as will other things such as antenna mods, etc. etc. etc.

It also opens a door for other brands & manufacturers to develop competing models.

Nothing promotes innovation like competition, & DJI has certainly shown their colors when it comes to keeping profit their singular goal.

Reactions: Jam0ne
This was one helluva thread and very enlightening. I just finished reading all 7 pages. There are some very wise commenters here.

I have used waypointing since it first became available w/DJI Naza and other flight controllers about 10 years ago and it's sad to see DJI drop this from the non-enterprise lines. I ran a dozen waypoint missions at a large wildlands preserve in NW Maine just a month ago. I love DJI machines, absolutely, and it's their right to give and take candy, and it's my right to go elsewhere if I decide to upgrade.

I work for non-profits but fly my own gear, and because I'm not wealthy, there will be no $5k buys for something as perishable as an RC aircraft (don't ask ;-). And that's OK, I don't have a '22 Porsche 911 Turbo S either and I don't begrudge those that do.

All of this is too bad, though, because having waypoints and the newer cameras for <$2k would be sweet.

This was one helluva thread and very enlightening. I just finished reading all 7 pages. There are some very wise commenters here.

I have used waypointing since it first became available w/DJI Naza and other flight controllers about 10 years ago and it's sad to see DJI drop this from the non-enterprise lines. I ran a dozen waypoint missions at a large wildlands preserve in NW Maine just a month ago. I love DJI machines, absolutely, and it's their right to give and take candy, and it's my right to go elsewhere if I decide to upgrade.

I work for non-profits but fly my own gear, and because I'm not wealthy, there will be no $5k buys for something as perishable as an RC aircraft (don't ask ;-). And that's OK, I don't have a '22 Porsche 911 Turbo S either and I don't begrudge those that do.

All of this is too bad, though, because having waypoints and the newer cameras for <$2k would be sweet.
DJI came through and released the SDK for the entire M3 family supporting autonomous waypoints. I believe this was done because DJI promised, and lived up to that promise. DJI deserves praise.

I also believe this will be the last time this feature will be supported outside the Enterprise class drones, so don't expect it in a Mavic 4, or any Mini class drone. Virtual Sticks is a poor substitute, and the fact that the VS waypoints made it in to the Mini 2 SDK was transitional moving to the new bifurcated business strategy.

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
Where did you see that? As far as I can tell, there is still no SDK for the M3 -- just onboard waypoints, which have limited functionality -- so it's still not possible to use any 3rd party apps.
My bad, that was in error. The SDK for non-enterprise versions has not been released.

It will be, and soon. Now that the feature is supported, DJI will not screw over their partners.

However, it may not be necessary... in a situation like this, the Enterprise SDK may work just fine, now that the aircraft supports the interfaces (like uploading waypoints).

My bad, that was in error. The SDK for non-enterprise versions has not been released.

It will be, and soon. Now that the feature is supported, DJI will not screw over their partners.

However, it may not be necessary... in a situation like this, the Enterprise SDK may work just fine, now that the aircraft supports the interfaces (like uploading waypoints).
Where are you getting your information? DJI flat out said and still say they are not going to release the SDK for the M3 consumer drone series. They saw all this frenzy of complaining about it and threw the dogs (M3 owners) a bone and made waypoints available in the Fly app in hopes it would calm things down. There's a lot more to the SDK than waypoints.

Where are getting your information?
I've seen that direct from DJI support in their forum and it's been mentioned and shown in this thread and few other threads.
You even mentioned in the second post and post 27 and post 95 it wasn't coming. The whole thread was created because it wasn't going to be released. What was your change of mind from then? You're bouncing from one side to the other. You're obviously trolling.

Edit: Here is one link for you that you even reposted in post 53 so you knew all of this but somehow your mind changed or you forgot or you're just trolling..

Last edited:
I've seen that direct from DJI support in their forum and it's been mentioned and shown in this thread and few other threads.
You even mentioned in the second post and post 27 and post 95 it wasn't coming. The whole thread was created because it wasn't going to be released. What was your change of mind from then?

They released the feature across the entire product line.

You're bouncing from one side to the other.

Not true. Circumstances changed, and so did my opinion.

You're obviously trolling.

Are insults really necessary? I explained why my opinion changed, and for substantial reasons.

My opinion re: Mini 3 Pro is unchanged... No waypoints, no SDK. Ever.

They released the feature across the entire product line.

Not true. Circumstances changed, and so did my opinion.

Are insults really necessary? I explained why my opinion changed, and for substantial reasons.
The feature being discussed in the topic was not waypoints. It was the SDK so the circumstances remain the same. Implementing waypoints did not mean the SDK was released.
You didn't explain why your opinion changed. Seems like when DJI threw the dogs a bone with waypoints built in that you took the bait.
I was just stating the fact that you just want to argue over something when what you are saying is untrue (trolling).

Last edited:
You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own variation of facts.

This thread is about waypoints on the M3P. Examine the thread title. The SDK naturally came up because it is a pre-requisite for implementing a waypoint feature in the entire system (like DJI Fly).

You can read the discussion, I don't need to explain how the M3 was brought in to the discussion, and the question of waypoints and SDK there.

It's unfortunate you don't seem able to follow this, and how the discussion – and facts – have changed. Finally, you don't define the context from which my opinions are formed, or evolve. I do.

• Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
Edit: Here is one link for you that you even reposted in post 53 so you knew all of this but somehow your mind changed or you forgot or you're just trolling..
Interesting... That thread is the fundamental basis of my opinion. William Wong, DJI Support, started the thread, with this post:

"The MSDK is gradually prioritising to the enterprise level aircraft, the priority level of product from high to low is enterprise level aircraft > consumer level aircraft > hanheld product.​
and this post:

"I am sorry that the plan was changing quite often. You need to know that the Mavic 3 is a consumer level products. As you may know, only the enterprise level products support the waypointMissions. Therefore, you need to purchase an enterprise level products for your starting company. All I can tell you is we will release a new enterprise level product recently and it will suit your demands. It will be supported by MSDK when it comes out. Since we spend so much time on the enterprise level products, the Mavic 3 and Mini 3 Pro's plan will be delayed. We havn't made any plans for next year yet. But at least they won't happen in this year."​

So, no SDK and no waypoints on the M3. Very clear.

Then, we're all pleasantly surprised when DJI releases waypoint functionality across the consumer class Mavic 3's. From an engineering standpoint, doing so was trivial, as there is already an SDK. very minor changes were necessary to make it work for the consumer class M3's. The major work was creating the system in Fly to set up and manage missions.

This why my opinion, drawn from statements by DJI changed. DJI's plans changed. Because I don't believe DJI will betray their 3rd party partners like Litchi, they will publish the SDK.

After all, it increases DJI sales.

However, this will be the last time. No more SDK for consumer drones, or, a seriously crippled version that makes unsuitable for any precision applications like mapping.

Thanks. My whole start of our conversation was the point that you had said that the SDK was released and DJI should be praised for it but you corrected that. I falsly said the thread was about the SDK being released, I apologize. Carry on. Thank you for all your clarification.

So? My point was that the original Mini has a camera "system on a chip" (SoC) that is capable of 4K and ActiveTrack -- an Ambarella H22 -- but DJI chose not to support those features. The Mini 2 also has an H22 with identical specs, but with 4K enabled (and still no ActiveTrack).
Sorry, I thought the conversation was about the Mini 3 and not about someone's issues with the Mini or Mini 2. I don't know where I got that idea from...

1671455076359.png

I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but before DJI thought up this brilliant new marketing strategy (which, I've been assured, was after exhaustive marketing analysis), automated return-to-home and waypoint missions were just what you did if you were a GPS-enabled drone. If you had any appreciation for how useful waypoints are, then you might understand why "disappointed" doesn't quite cover the surprise of discovering their omission. If neither DJI's marketing material nor the vast majority of YouTube reviews mentioned that waypoints were no longer supported, and you didn't live on one of the drone forums and happen to come across a post where it was discussed, then the only way to discover that the Mini didn't support waypoints was to download the user's manual and search for waypoints. I actually downloaded the Mini manual before I bought it, but I never thought to search for waypoints -- I just assumed there would at least be something primitive like every other GPS-enabled drone on the market, including DJI's. My first experience with them was around 2015 with a borrowed Parrot BeBop, which I believe was the cheapest GPS drone on the market at the time, and I really don't believe there was any GPS drone up until the Mini that didn't support waypoints. You betcha I was angry at DJI, your inability to understand why notwithstanding.
Well you can always go to the Mavic 3 if waypoints are so vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock