DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm having trouble with these flying rats! Any suggestions on how to remediate this problem?

CarltonNYC

Reactions
I'm having trouble with these ( Mod Removed Language)Remflying rats! Any suggestions on how to remediate this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
@CarltonNYC
Only saw them at the start.... nuisance for sure though. Nothing I’ve seen tried and reported on the forum seems to work.

Could be worse... here’s a short vid of a raptor making multiple passes (4) at my drone... getting progressively closer each time. I abandoned my flight plan and brought the drone home...

@CarltonNYC
Only saw them at the start.... nuisance for sure though. Nothing I’ve seen tried and reported on the forum seems to work.

Could be worse... here’s a short vid of a raptor making multiple passes (4) at my drone... getting progressively closer each time. I abandoned my flight plan and brought the drone home...
That is seriously unnerving! I think my dumb birds may have been nesting on the gable of a home on that corner. That's where they kept meeting before coming back around for another attempt at attacking my drone. I already ordered a bright orange neon skin and angry eyes. I'll see if that helps. Flying in the city is tricky enough without worrying about bird strikes.

I'm having trouble with these ( Mod Removed Language)Remflying rats! Any suggestions on how to remediate this problem?
Easy, find a place to fly other than inside the city. ?

Notwithstanding your choice of take off/landing site close to a built up area with vehicles and people in close proximity, perhaps you could enlighten me on the word "remediate" which is a new one on me that I can't find in my English language dictionary. Do you mean "remedy"? Or are you a "PhillyDroneLife" wannabe?

You are not flying in the best drone environment, for sure! Trees with fine branches! Overhead wires!! Congested neighborhood! You are really looking for trouble, and of course, to evade these birds you need to take quick action, which is difficult in the place you are flying. Do yourself a favor and get out into some clear areas.

Birds own the sky. Period. I've had a few close ones. The most recent was right over my house. Was doing some drone footage of the surrounding neighborhood and this one raven/crow (not sure what...just large black bird...was too high to be sure) was circling about 25-30ft above the drone. I call it a day and bought it down. No sense in taking a chance. Others are right though. The birds are just protecting their territory.

Birds are curious. Pigeons are just dumb. They are basically just flying rats.

When I have a pigeon issue, I just hover for a few seconds. They'll usually circle a few times and move on.

Raptors on the other hand will not. The best thing to do there is elevate as fast as possible and leave the area.

I've also heard of people putting googley-eyes on their drones. That seems to help. I have no experience with that though.

Notwithstanding your choice of take off/landing site close to a built up area with vehicles and people in close proximity, perhaps you could enlighten me on the word "remediate" which is a new one on me that I can't find in my English language dictionary. Do you mean "remedy"? Or are you a "PhillyDroneLife" wannabe?
re·me·di·ate

/rəˈmēdēˌāt/

verb

provide a remedy for; redress or make right.

"the most serious flaws are easy to remediate"

restore by reversing or stopping environmental damage.

"use of plants to remediate soils contaminated with heavy metals"

Definitions from Oxford Languages

All I had to do to find this was enter Remediate in Google search, and the first thing that appeared was the definition.

Birds (individually and by flock) are territorial. I always bring my drone down.

How about Psycho Crows. Shot from my back yard. Notice the evil look in its eye. Happened over several days. Eventually, they used to patrol the house from morning till dusk, even pooped all over my car. Guess that's the crow equivalent of stay off my patch! Neither crows nor drones were injured in these encounters. Also, these are original and not zoomed photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_173802.JPG
    IMG_20200910_173802.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200910_173426.JPG
    IMG_20200910_173426.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 40
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads