DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm in Tucson where to fly?

JMagnus

Reactions
I'm on a family vacation in Tucson. I may be able to fly my drone this afternoon. Can anyone give me directions/street coordinates to a good spot to go fly my Mavic Pro? Thank you!

You are surrounded by open desert, pick a high point and fly. Just make sure you are not within 5 miles of the airport and watch for low flying military planes.

Thanks guys! I should clarify my question. I know I can fly around here where there isn't an airport etc. I'm looking for an interesting spot to shoot, not just go to the desert. I should have been more clear.

I have visited Tucson many times and one patch of desert looks pretty much like any other in the area. There is Mt. Lemmon NE of town that has a lot of beautiful spots. Do your research about drone use before flying.

Not for drone flying of course but if you like caves, Colossal Cave is SE of Tucson and worth driving to.

Reactions: JMagnus
Also, use the maps in your drone for no-fly zones as those surrounding airports do not show up on the DJI link above. It only shows airports and approach corridors. Your drone will likely warn you. North side of the Catalinas is beautiful, but it’s a bit of a drive to get there.

While not for drones, go down to Karschner Caverns and take one of the cave tours. These caverns wer dicovered by two guys who kept them a secret for decades until they could get state park designation. The story is almost as good as these living caverns. Also check out the observatory... clear night is best.

I have visited Tucson many times and one patch of desert looks pretty much like any other in the area. There is Mt. Lemmon NE of town that has a lot of beautiful spots. Do your research about drone use before flying.

Not for drone flying of course but if you like caves, Colossal Cave is SE of Tucson and worth driving to.
Thank you!

Also, use the maps in your drone for no-fly zones as those surrounding airports do not show up on the DJI link above. It only shows airports and approach corridors. Your drone will likely warn you. North side of the Catalinas is beautiful, but it’s a bit of a drive to get there.

While not for drones, go down to Karschner Caverns and take one of the cave tours. These caverns wer dicovered by two guys who kept them a secret for decades until they could get state park designation. The story is almost as good as these living caverns. Also check out the observatory... clear night is best.
Thank you,

Thanks guys! I should clarify my question. I know I can fly around here where there isn't an airport etc. I'm looking for an interesting spot to shoot, not just go to the desert. I should have been more clear.

I recommend Reddington road. You can park about a mile up the dirt part and take a very short hike and fly over the cliffs and waterfalls of Tanque Verde wash. Very scenic. Also, Windy Point on Mount Lemmon, but watch out for tourists scrambling on the rocks.

Last edited:
North end of Campbell Ave. parking area on left side of road. Fly from that spot. As close to the mountain as you can get.

some don't miss while you are there flying... there are two different Saguaro parks... one you have to pay to get into ( worth it ) and the other one out by the Desert Museum... both are super nice to fly at... there is a pass that you will also want to fly at.. it too is close to the Desert Museum... its called Gates Pass... to get there you want to take I-10 to W Speedway Blvd and go west... it will turn into West Gates Pass rd.... there is a park just at the top of the pass... and then on the other side of the pass (going west) is another pull out and you can fly that mountain... then still going west turn towards the Desert Museum and go past it and you will come upon the Saguaro Park... that pretty much does your day... and don't forget to go to the Desert Museum while there too... don't think they will let you fly there though... then the next day go to the other Saguaro Park on the east side of town... you could spend the whole day in there so bring water or snacks.. its worth the trip if the weather is good... while you are there you need to stop by at the
Silver Saddle Steak House on I-10 ... it doesn't look like much but the steak is fantastic... wood cooked right in front of you... and the prices are good too...

we drove out to Madera Canyon and it is nice but for me anyway there was too many tall trees so line of site was out of the equation.. the elevation was high enough that there isn't any cacti...

If you like history and architecture I’d recommend checking out Mission San Xavier del Bac.

Mission San Xavier del Bac is a historic Spanish Catholic mission located about 10 miles south of downtown Tucson, Arizona, on the Tohono O'odham Nation San Xavier Indian Reservation.

Mission San Xavier del Bac
1950 W San Xavier Rd, Tucson, AZ 85746
(520) 294-2624
Google Maps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member