DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where Can I Download / Print Off No Fly Zones Maps USA?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi, Since B4UFLY isn't available anymore, is there anywher online you can download / print off no fly zone maps? I'm taking a trip through Utah, Colorado and South Dakota through some National Forests. I would like to have some no fly zone maps on hand. At the very least, National Forest with boundry lines including streets / highways. If anyone knows, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you. Ray

Reactions: davidarmenb
Why the need to print?

Reactions: sarahb
Hi, Since B4UFLY isn't available anymore, is there anywher online you can download / print off no fly zone maps? I'm taking a trip through Utah, Colorado and South Dakota through some National Forests. I would like to have some no fly zone maps on hand. At the very least, National Forest with boundry lines including streets / highways. If anyone knows, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you. Ray
Have you downloaded Aloft Air Control app on the apple app store?

Dale
Miami
Airloft Air control app.jpeg

Reactions: MA2 317
Why the need to print?
Just want to have some printed maps as I go through these areas as I approach them for reference. Biggest things are the No Fly Zones, Airports and the boundries of the National Forests. Thanks. Ray

Air Control currently has the most complete inventory of no fly zones, including state parks and local restrictions. I have always found the whole kittyhawk/b4ufly/aloft (and now the new one) evolution confusing, but Aloft is what you want.

I recommend the App over a printout. In Colorado there are so many overlapping land authorities -- especially on the front range -- that you'll never be able to effectively figure out where you can fly without the ability to zoom in and determine which side of the road is good.

Reactions: DoomMeister
As far as I know, there are no prohibitions against flying over national forests except over designated wilderness areas therein or when there are active fire suppression operations underway. Other exclusions would be covered by NOTAM. Are you perhaps confusing national forests with national parks (and the numerous other categories of national parklands, like national monuments, etc.)? The forest service (USFS) and park service (USNPS) are two different agencies with entirely different management philosophies, the latter more restrictive in terms of allowable public uses.

Reactions: MS Coast
For anyone interested in airspace in the U.S.:
VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts
It’s a great map, except there are no legends or the margin notes for military airspace, have to get that info elsewhere.

Air Control currently has the most complete inventory of no fly zones, including state parks and local restrictions. I have always found the whole kittyhawk/b4ufly/aloft (and now the new one) evolution confusing, but Aloft is what you want.

I recommend the App over a printout. In Colorado there are so many overlapping land authorities -- especially on the front range -- that you'll never be able to effectively figure out where you can fly without the ability to zoom in and determine which side of the road is good.
Thank You for the great information! I will go ahead and get Aloft. Thanks again, appreciate it. Ray

As far as I know, there are no prohibitions against flying over national forests except over designated wilderness areas therein or when there are active fire suppression operations underway. Other exclusions would be covered by NOTAM. Are you perhaps confusing national forests with national parks (and the numerous other categories of national parklands, like national monuments, etc.)? The forest service (USFS) and park service (USNPS) are two different agencies with entirely different management philosophies, the latter more restrictive in terms of allowable public uses.
Thanks for the help... I'm just looking at National Forests. I won't be flying in any of the National Parks or Monuments.
Thanks, appreciate it. Ray

Most recreational pilots don’t use VFR Sectionals, but for UAS pilots that do use them SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts is a great online resource that does include the legends when you scroll to the appropriate edge of the map.

I also second using Aloft Air Control for checking airspace before a flight. If LAANC clearance is needed it does a great job of allowing you to plan your flight area and submit the LAANC request.

Reactions: Grandpa and SethB
Most recreational pilots don’t use VFR Sectionals, but for UAS pilots that do use them SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts is a great online resource that does include the legends when you scroll to the appropriate edge of the map…
I was initially confused when I hit the Skyvector link, as I didn’t see the margin information. But, if you select “Charts” in the upper left menu you can view individual sectionals with all the info! A great resource.

Of course FAA has online sectionals as well, but they are huge pdf files that are difficult on a tablet or phone.

I was initially confused when I hit the Skyvector link, as I didn’t see the margin information. But, if you select “Charts” in the upper left menu you can view individual sectionals with all the info! A great resource.

Of course FAA has online sectionals as well, but they are huge pdf files that are difficult on a tablet or phone.
You can also leave it in World VFR to scroll around and zoom in/out. If you need to check legend data you can then select the appropriate local sectional displayed on the upper right of the page. You can also open another tab and have the legend data displayed there so you don’t have to scroll back and forth on the map.

Reactions: SethB
I live in Colorado. Can't tell where the boundaries between national forests and wilderness areas are using the Air Aware map. Air Control seems to show the boundaries.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ifish4bass