DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm kinda known

Sprocket

Reactions
for wondering about strange things. Does it seem odd to anyone else that drones have the capability to flyover and basically stalk people while in the Active track mode? The FAA recommends and demands that drone pilots don't fly over people. I guess that means people have their own NFZs directly above them. How big is an individuals ' area? On a serious note, how far away from a person is considered safe at any given altitude and airspeed?

Here CASA states 30 metres (100'), unless party to the operation which does not include spectators at a sporting event or players but can include an individual who wants images of themselves performing.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
I'm not convinced that FAA bands drone flights over people for hobbiest.

It's my understanding in the USA that part 107 pilots may not fly directly over people who are not participants.

Active track tends to keep mavic behind or beside the subject but not directly over. Also, if the person being flown over was a participant in the flight, like a visual observer, or the pilot in command, then there would be no issue.

Yeah, it's more about groups of people than individuals. But it does apply to hobby/recreation flights in addition to Part 107 flights.

Getting Started

Drone Safety Tips
  • Register your drone
  • Fly your drone at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your drone within your line of sight
  • Be aware of FAA Airspace Restrictions
  • Respect privacy
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people, public events, or stadiums full of people
  • Never fly near emergencies such as fires or hurricane recovery efforts
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol

Reactions: Jerry
Here CASA states 30 metres (100'), unless party to the operation which does not include spectators at a sporting event or players but can include an individual who wants images of themselves performing.

Where is this written mate??

Here's some additional interpretation of the law regarding flying over people in the US National Airspace.

Section 107.39 Operation over human beings. (2018)

I read as much of that as I could. Good info, but is for 107 certificate. I don't see how it would make any difference in control ability during a complete failure whether I was flying 336 or had a piece of paper in my back pocket saying I'm an certified pilot. I wish the FAA wouldn't treat them differently as far as whether purely recreational or commercial.

Imagine a clock on the wall with only the minute hand. A human beings' NFZ is at the 12 o'clock position. Move the minute hand to the 12 o'clock position. How far do I have to move it clockwise to be safely out of danger? 5 minutes? 13 minutes? Obviously, altitude would make a difference. I would like the FAA to define it more precisely. BTW, thanks for the info.

In Aus it is clearly stated that it is a 30 mtr on ground distance from the drone above with height not taken intop account

Mate you really need to read that back to yourself, and then write it....
It makes no sense as is...
@Bunyip ?

I hope he is talking about Austria and not Australia cause I don't speak any Australian, but I understand what he said. It is 30m horizontal distance irregardless of altitude. I think.

sorry you must be american. take a perpendicular height from the drone to the ground and measure out 30 metres. another way to make it a bit simpler for you is if the drone fell to earth from any height it must not fall any closer to you than 30mtrs. sorry cannot make it any more simple than that

sorry you must be american. take a perpendicular height from the drone to the ground and measure out 30 metres. another way to make it a bit simpler for you is if the drone fell to earth from any height it must not fall any closer to you than 30mtrs. sorry cannot make it any more simple than that

Is that not the same thing I just said? Irregardless of altitude you must maintain 30meters horizontally of the person.

Reactions: chazzm
Does it seem odd to anyone else that drones have the capability to flyover and basically stalk people while in the Active track mode?
If you know anything about Active track mode, you know a) It doesn't fly over people; it flies behind them, usually quite far away; usually too far away, and b) It can be quite flaky and needs to be adjusted quite frequently to get good shots.
If stalking people is your objective, you're better off walking behind them with an iphone. Forget the Mavic.

Mate you really need to read that back to yourself, and then write it....
It makes no sense as is...
@Bunyip ?
Makes perfect sense. Regardless of the height of the drone it must be a minimum of 30 meters out from the subject/person. In all directions... not that hard to understand

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue