DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I'm sticking with Polar Pro

For those not familiar with the characteristics of polarizer filters the previous video would be helpful. However a valuable bit of information left out of the video (and surprising not mentioned in this thread at all) is that the polarizing effect is at its peak when the camera is pointed 90° in relation to the sun. It will have no effect at all when pointed directly at or directly away from the sun. Therefore, if the drone is rotated 360° while hovering, the sky will change from a darker blue to a much lighter blue and back again as it passes 90°, 180°, 270° and back to 0°. So if your flight is more or less a straight line, perpendicular to the sun, a PL filter will indeed improve your shot. If your flight will include turns toward or away from the sun, you’re better off with a regular ND filter and dealing with blue skies and reflections in post production.

Okay, I get it. My filters can be on during startup, they do not interfere with the gimbal calibration. I know some filters can interfere, or if the filter isn't mounted straight.

What? What does "do not fit when gimbal live" mean?
I have 6 Neewer filters...They go on easily, no problems with them during calibration, and no problems what so ever any time after that. I typically just leave one on at all times, unless it is particularly cloudy, or I need to put a darker one on. Zero problems at any time.
That is what's he's asking. Can they be left on? So if they are left on, he's asking will they interfere with the gimble self-calibration when you first turn on the drone... I myself would want to leave my most used filter on at all times. Just so I won't have to be pulling it off and putting it on every time I fly. I'll check out the Neewers....

This "high quality glass" guerrilla sales pitch is BS, imho. I use Neewers (3x cheeper) and never noticed any image degradation or distortion. I won't be surprised if I learned the glass for all filters is actually made by the same supplier.

The Cinema Series uses an optical crown glass with a refractive index of 1.53. Additionally the Cinema Series glass is multi-coated which reduces flaring and ghosting. The Cinema Series glass is a much more expensive raw glass geared for production shooting. It is in fact a different glass :)

Happy to answer any specific questions you have.

-Jeff from PolarPro

The reason he is asking this is because Polar Pro states emphatically that you are to mount the filters after the gimbal calibration. I have always assumed the extra weight affects the calibration.
Anyway, thats why he is asking his question.
All of our Mavic Filters can be mounted before gimbal calibration.
Some of the early versions 14 months ago were to be mounted after gimbal calibration.
Everyone requested that they leave the filters on, so we changed the design 14 months ago and they will go through calibration.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff from PolarPro

[QUOTE="

-Jeff from PolarPro[/QUOTE]

Do you guys get free Mavs tickets? Box seats?

[QUOTE="

-Jeff from PolarPro

Do you guys get free Mavs tickets? Box seats?[/QUOTE]

That deal actually never went through, so more time flying and filming than watching sporting events :)

-Jeff from PolarPro

Do you guys get free Mavs tickets? Box seats?

That deal actually never went through, so more time flying and filming than watching sporting events :)

-Jeff from PolarPro[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I've heard that a lot of the deals don't. You guys seem to be doing fine regardless :)

Gimbal lock removed?
Yes, they were removed. I did a gimbal calibration (without gimbals attached) and the initial problem was still present. With a filter attached I get a gimbal warning message. To avoid damage, I immediately shut down the Mavic. Removing the filter makes warning go away. I do not think I mentioned this before, but this is the second set of filters I have bought. I thought the previous brand may have been too heavy for the gimbal.

Yes, they were removed. I did a gimbal calibration (without gimbals attached) and the initial problem was still present. With a filter attached I get a gimbal warning message. To avoid damage, I immediately shut down the Mavic. Removing the filter makes warning go away. I do not think I mentioned this before, but this is the second set of filters I have bought. I thought the previous brand may have been too heavy for the gimbal.
These are not our brand of filters correct?
-Jeff from PolarPro

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13