DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Image stacking for evening skylines with my Air 2s

Results look very good👍
What software did you use to stack/layer/flatten to the final result?
Any other tweaks to the final image ?

Your 7 shots, on a burst I get that, what changed with each one please? I don't really know what this 'image stacking' is and Google is as clear as mud! Yes, I am thick, but then that is why I am a mere labourer.

It was 7 identical exposures. I set the iso to 400 and shutter speed to what ever it took for a properly exposed image. Each one was exposed correctly but with plenty of noise. The image stacking was to reduce that noise. If you search for drone image stacking on YouTube, you will find several videos.

Reactions: KingRat
It was 7 identical exposures. I set the iso to 400 and shutter speed to what ever it took for a properly exposed image. Each one was exposed correctly but with plenty of noise. The image stacking was to reduce that noise. If you search for drone image stacking on YouTube, you will find several videos.
Thank you. I shall try and see if On1 Raw can do that type of thing.

Results look very good👍
What software did you use to stack/layer/flatten to the final result?
Any other tweaks to the final image ?
Here is a really great video on stacking. It's 15 minutes or so but very well explained. You will need to use software that can handle layers, which, of course includes Adobe Photoshop, which is my "Go To" software.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: Wumpus_NJ
Here is a really great video on stacking. It's 15 minutes or so but very well explained. You will need to use software that can handle layers, which, of course includes Adobe Photoshop, which is my "Go To" software.

Dale
Miami
Thanks Dale - I appreciate your response. I was hoping the OP would respond with the software he/she is using. I am reluctant to go with Adobe PS due to cost. I currently have GIMP installed and it handles layers.

Thanks Dale - I appreciate your response. I was hoping the OP would respond with the software he/she is using. I am reluctant to go with Adobe PS due to cost. I currently have GIMP installed and it handles layers.
Yes- that's why I put in the disclaimer. I have been through this discussion hundreds of time. I am fortunate to be retired and have no difficulty affording the Adobe package. I manage to talk them into a discount every year of $26.00 a month. It one of my "vices." Certainly better than drugs or liquor. For my money it is the best product around and I thank heaven for it. especially with the new masking tool. I simply cannot understand how I have lived without that masking tool all my years of using Photoshop.

Reactions: Wumpus_NJ
Yes- that's why I put in the disclaimer. I have been through this discussion hundreds of time. I am fortunate to be retired and have no difficulty affording the Adobe package. I manage to talk them into a discount every year of $26.00 a month. It one of my "vices." Certainly better than drugs or liquor. For my money it is the best product around and I thank heaven for it. especially with the new masking tool. I simply cannot understand how I have lived without that masking tool all my years of using Photoshop.
😊 I hear ya...almost retired here...but I always look for open source/free options before jumping to the monthly pay model as a final option if open source options are lacking.

I do have an Adobe Acrobat subscription, so I will check out incremental cost to add Photoshop...or do some other combo.

Thanks for helping me re-think this.👍

My apologies to the OP for the slightly off-topic comments.

😊 I hear ya...almost retired here...but I always look for open source/free options before jumping to the monthly pay model as a final option if open source options are lacking.

I do have an Adobe Acrobat subscription, so I will check out incremental cost to add Photoshop...or do some other combo.

Thanks for helping me re-think this.👍

My apologies to the OP for the slightly off-topic comments.
Life is too short, my friend. Like I mentioned, I've been through this discussion for years, especially since I was very angered by the subscription model rather than buying the disc every few years. Now, Adobe sends nearly weekly upgrades and the improvements are amazing. There is no masking tool in the cheaper version I think. The masking tool uses AI (artificial interlligence) to find the sky, subject, etc. and allows you to edit any single portion of your image independently of the remainder of the image. I'd rather spend my $ on Adobe suite than leave it in my will. It is truly one of the best inventions ever. I own Luminar, One, NIK suite, etc. Rarely use them. Call Adobe and ask them for a break on the annual suite. It will drop from over $50 to about $26/month. You get everything-Adobe PDF maker (you can write and alter other people's PDF's- great for traveling), as well as Premiere Pro, LrC, etc.

For droners- the masking tool is especially helpful for sunrises and sunsets because I can ISOLATE foregrounds (which are alway under-exposed , and bring out the details in them). I could go on and on.

Presently spending the entire next 4 weeks at this iMAC editing my latest travels (a wonderful trip to Chile- The Atacama Desert, the Chiloe region in the south, Santiago, Valparaiso etc.). Here is an example
In this image, I masked the sky first and edited it to get the stars, then I masked the foreground and got details in the courtyard at our hotel (Explora Atacama), then individually masked the trees with an adjustable sized brush to get color and details.

www.explora.com check their web site. It is one of the darkest places in the world for astrophotography (which was my reason for going there).

Dale
Miami

Attachments

• Explora Atacama Night View with stars.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads