DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impact of a US Federal Government shut-down and expiration of the FAA authorization?

Paint Rock Drones

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.mintz.net
Does anyone know what the impact on UAV operations will be when the US Federal Govt. shuts down on Saturday? Will LAANC still work? Will it still be possible to register a drone?
Since the FAA authorization will likely run out at the same time, will that introduce further complications?

I tried posting this as a reply to what I thought was a related thread, but did not get much traction, so I'm starting a new topic here.

I think you will have to wait and see. Pretty sure the FAA and airspace is critical infrastructure and nothing is impacted. I seem to recall there being some sort of emergency process that kicks in. I dunno anymore, I used to keep up with this stuff but these days, it's purely political and just a game for some people so many of us don't have time for games.

The government doesn't really just shut down. Congress will be in session. Essential payments, like Social Security will be made. Funding will still go to Ukraine. A lot more funding will continue to flow under various department and Presidential authorizations. I believe the FAA will continue to operate. Some federal employees would be out of work temporarily. And... life goes on.

Does anyone know what the impact on UAV operations will be when the US Federal Govt. shuts down on Saturday? Will LAANC still work? Will it still be possible to register a drone?
Since the FAA authorization will likely run out at the same time, will that introduce further complications?

I tried posting this as a reply to what I thought was a related thread, but did not get much traction, so I'm starting a new topic here.
Interesting read here:

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
I'm thinking about, for example, passport processing. Border agents are essential, so someone will still check passports when you enter the country. In the past, any administrative work, e.g. issuing new passports, ground to a halt. National Park services closed, and even park websites shut down. So I can imagine ATC running while other functions paused. But you are all right, we'll have to wait and see.

The government doesn't shut down. Politicians threaten to for political reasons.
So true. That's what I meant but tired to be less direct about the politicians.

I remember being in the Army during one of these shutdowns. They held our pay until the next month not when the closure was over but we had to wait until the next month to get our back pay. Everyone was mad and wanting to go awol. Glad it only happened the one time.

The government doesn't shut down. Politicians threaten to for political reasons.
Yeah, and since ALL of them are filthy rich already, they don’t worry about the stock market losses because of it. THAT’S for us low life’s to do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne