DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Impossible to open top of drone

Reactions
I can’t open the top of my drone to see what is wrong with the “stuck” camera gimbal … The fourth screw is stuck and it doesn’t come out, even with the appropriate screwdriver… Well, I got the other screw out but not the fourth. It is also impossible to remove the top of the drone, even with sharp tools. I also used power to open it, but it is impossible. The top is just stuck on there. Can someone please 🙏 help me?

Attachments

• 9120A777-BEE0-4481-8DBD-6110FD760533.jpeg
    9120A777-BEE0-4481-8DBD-6110FD760533.jpeg
    940.4 KB · Views: 33
@flyingwithkris have you checked that there is nothing in the screw head preventing the driver from going in all the way ,DJI used to put a anti tamper substance in one or two of the screws around different parts of the drone ,so they could tell if it had been opened up ,or they may have put a left hand thread on one screw to prevent an unauthorised person from being able to remove it ,just try and see if it will turn clockwise ,you never know

I can't really see what's in there, but I can try and turn clockwise. The 3rd screw (backside of the drone) was hard to get out too, but it somehow worked. I do not know how to remove the anti tamper substance because I can't see it, but it must be a way to open the top. I will try and turn it clockwise after I get home, thanks for the tip!

@flyingwithkris have you checked that there is nothing in the screw head preventing the driver from going in all the way ,DJI used to put a anti tamper substance in one or two of the screws around different parts of the drone ,so they could tell if it had been opened up ,or they may have put a left hand thread on one screw to prevent an unauthorised person from being able to remove it ,just try and see if it will turn clockwise ,you never know
I tried to move it clockwise, but it did not work, it only got deeper in. I tried to move it out, but it does not come out. It rotates, but it is still stuck.

I tried to move it clockwise, but it did not work, it only got deeper in. I tried to move it out, but it does not come out. It rotates, but it is still stuck.

Is the screw loose enough to put a loop of dental floss, fishing line, etc, around the head and pull while turning with the screwdriver.

Sounds like the threads aren't stripped all the way since it tightens, just might be the final thread that's being a PIA when trying to remove it.

Just a thought.

I tried to do that, but it was hard to put the fishing line deep in, because of the incredible deep screw hole. Maybe I can put oil or something down there?

Maybe I can put oil or something down there?

I really don't know if that would help.

Do a search on YouTube for a teardown of the MINI SE.

Maybe there's a trick?

The videos may be dated but have useful information if you're wanting to dig into it.

Good luck. 👍

I bought a set of tools on Amazon for $8, a small electronics set with plastic prying tools. Check out the ifixit site. It was very informative for me.

I bought a set of tools on Amazon for $8, a small electronics set with plastic prying tools. Check out the ifixit site. It was very informative for me.
Those are great sets to have for such repairs. I personally use the pry tools from my auto interior tool set…they are wider and stronger. Also, a good quality screw driver set which we all agree on.

If you don’t want to send it in then get the latter tools 🧰. My only suggestion is to 1) insert as wide a spreader at that screw with a reasonable amount of prying 2) with the body laying hard on the work bench try to unscrew CCW (there is no reverse thread)

Hopefully, the upper frame will give what I feel is the lower female insert rotating…some grip/friction . Just a thought. 🥸

Good luck 🤞

OBTW…if you can’t get the “top” off, then try taking the bottom off. 🤣

I can’t open the top of my drone to see what is wrong with the “stuck” camera gimbal … The fourth screw is stuck and it doesn’t come out, even with the appropriate screwdriver… Well, I got the other screw out but not the fourth. It is also impossible to remove the top of the drone, even with sharp tools. I also used power to open it, but it is impossible. The top is just stuck on there. Can someone please 🙏 help me?
try pulling
try prising the top of while unscrewing the screw

Reactions: Aairon
Those are great sets to have for such repairs. I personally use the pry tools from my auto interior tool set…they are wider and stronger. Also, a good quality screw driver set which we all agree on.

If you don’t want to send it in then get the latter tools 🧰. My only suggestion is to 1) insert as wide a spreader at that screw with a reasonable amount of prying 2) with the body laying hard on the work bench try to unscrew CCW (there is no reverse thread)

Hopefully, the upper frame will give what I feel is the lower female insert rotating…some grip/friction . Just a thought. 🥸

Good luck 🤞

There were only a couple of videos about the SE model, and someone ripped of the top and made a hole in the SE video. Someone used electric screwdrivers. Maybe I can put glue at the tip of the screwdriver and put it on the screw?

That is very nice, but I live in Norway. I will at least try that if it does not work.

Good luck 🤞

Thanks for the tip! You said that I could try taking the bottom off, but am I going to take the small part or big part off? Because I can try to take the bottom off?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS