DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Improving Transmission Reception on iPhone 11 Pro Max

WesBPowell

Reactions
Hi Fellow Mavic Air 2 Pilots,

I'm a relatively new pilot to the Mavic Air 2 and drones in general and I've noticed in my local area, I'm having some transmission signal loss issues periodically. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max mobile device that I'm using with the DJI standard controller. Do you have any recommendations on improving signal transmission to the Drone during flight with my rig set up?

Thanks and here's hoping everyone is flying safe and well!

Cheers,
Wes

The phone you use won't make a real impact on your transmission. It's possible you'll see a slight improvement by going into airplane mode on the phone

That said, unless the drone is defective, the biggest things you can do:

1: Make sure your antenna ends (the end of the phone holder) is pointed directly at the drone. This is key!
2: Minimize or eliminate any objects between you and the drone
3: Elevate
4: Fly in areas with less interference.

If you want to describe your environment and what you are seeing, we can tell you if it is typical or not. There are a ton of people who fly with trees and stuff all around them, in a suburb with tons of wifi interference, and complain they are only getting XXX distance. You simply won't get that far in those types of environments (particularly in CE areas)

Reactions: WesBPowell
The Phone has nothing to do with signals between you and the drone, thats all in the RC and the AC, the phone is only the display device to show you what the AC is seeing and status of where it doing via the Fly App.

Where you fly maybe more of issue..

The phone you use won't make a real impact on your transmission. It's possible you'll see a slight improvement by going into airplane mode on the phone

That said, unless the drone is defective, the biggest things you can do:

1: Make sure your antenna ends (the end of the phone holder) is pointed directly at the drone. This is key!
2: Minimize or eliminate any objects between you and the drone
3: Elevate
4: Fly in areas with less interference.

If you want to describe your environment and what you are seeing, we can tell you if it is typical or not. There are a ton of people who fly with trees and stuff all around them, in a suburb with tons of wifi interference, and complain they are only getting XXX distance. You simply won't get that far in those types of environments (particularly in CE areas)
Thanks for the insight, info and advice. I do live in an area that is hilly and very populated with trees. The population isn't too dense but definitely there are wifi signals "flying" around from residential service. I will try pointing the end of the controller more towards the Air 2 when flying and see if that helps. Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply!!

The Phone has nothing to do with signals between you and the drone, thats all in the RC and the AC, the phone is only the display device to show you what the AC is seeing and status of where it doing via the Fly App.

Where you fly maybe more of issue..
Thanks for the info! I think it is likely the terrain and obstacles I'm navigating. I will have to try to find a more open area and see if I can crank her up to 10KM! :)

Reactions: vjpapa
Thanks for the info! I think it is likely the terrain and obstacles I'm navigating. I will have to try to find a more open area and see if I can crank her up to 10KM! :)
thats way beyond VLOS - and therefore not within the regs , at least in the uk... still dont get the lets fly this as far a possible 'just becuase' mentality ....

the other worryng thing is that you dont really understand how it works given your OP ..learn to fly it safely first , near to you , I suggest ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
thats way beyond VLOS - and therefore not within the regs , at least in the uk... still dont get the lets fly this as far a possible 'just becuase' mentality ....

the other worryng thing is that you dont really understand how it works given your OP ..learn to fly it safely first , near to you , I suggest ... :rolleyes:
Good advice which I will take and adopt. I am still learning how to fly my drone so will not do anything crazy to your point about beyond VLOS and keeping it closer as I learn the ins and outs. Thanks for your post and feedback!

Pointing the antenna points at the drone is exactly the wrong thing to do. The long flat parts should be aligned with the drone’s position. The manual has some good diagrams of this.
Thanks for the info Dave! I appreciate the assistance. Cheers brother!

Pointing the antenna points at the drone is exactly the wrong thing to do. The long flat parts should be aligned with the drone’s position. The manual has some good diagrams of this.
Suggest you verify what drone he is flying...It's antenna array is different from most previous DJI products.

Suggest you verify what drone he is flying...It's antenna array is different from most previous DJI products.

Maybe the terminology is confusing. As I noted, the end of the cell phone holder should point to the drone. Not sure who Dave was correcting, but I think everyone is on the same page...

1612968846897.png

Reactions: WesBPowell
I would suggest downloading the full manual from the dji website. There is a wealth of useful information in there. Never forget that trees and powerlines are evil.
Thank you and great point about the trees and powerlines! I love 80M high flying!!!

7 months later.......
You miss the point entirely.

If (like me) someone else has the same issue, they might read this thread it and take the advice (wrong in this case as the Air 2 doesn't have antenna points or adjustment).

Thanks for YOUR contribution though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast