DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU calibration error 50

The other thing to reiterate is that people shouldn’t carry out unnecessary calibrations of any type. I’ve flown my Mavic Pro, yes the same drone, for 30 months, and only needed to calibrate the IMU once after some work on the firmware, the visual sensors twice when requested and the compass as required due to travel. A bad unnecessary calibration can be worse for your drone than no calibration.
Unfortunately not possible on the Mavic Air.

Once the aircraft has travelled 39miles (50km) from its last locational GPS fix it will ask for a compass calibration and will not allow take off until completed. Even if the bias is within tolerance it will still insist on a calibration.

This was another DJI attempt to weed out the idiot gene.

As I said, I calibrate my compass if required due to travel. But I take every precaution to make sure that there is nothing to corrupt that calibration, no magnetic metal on my person, (uk coins are magnetic), no mobile phone or tablet, no controller near me and an area clear of metal and rebar.
I certainly don’t calibrate just for the sake of calibrating!

The other thing to reiterate is that people shouldn’t carry out unnecessary calibrations of any type. I’ve flown my Mavic Pro, yes the same drone, for 30 months, and only needed to calibrate the IMU once after some work on the firmware, the visual sensors twice when requested and the compass as required due to travel. A bad unnecessary calibration can be worse for your drone than no calibration.
Bob, I totally agree, but in this case the app is requiring the calibration and the drone can't be flown without it.

It won't 'hurt' but one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
The Inertial Measurement Unit consists of solid state Mems Gyroscopes/accelerometer and is immune to magnetic interference.
The Magnometer (compass) is a magnetic field measuring device that IS directly affected by magnetic influence (since that's what it is designed to measure).

I was simply pointing out that your advice was incorrect and may have some people searching out a place away from metal object to conduct an IMU calibration which is totally unnecessary.

I appreciate the depth of your knowledge on the internal functions of the various sensors. Please re-read my post.
I'm not one to argue, but my advice was not incorrect in this particular case. I was merely erring on the side of caution to assist the poster in the process of elimination. As I said previously, I have had the experience where the IMU Calibration is not completing properly when the compass was experiencing interference.

Unfortunately not possible on the Mavic Air.

Once the aircraft has travelled 39miles (50km) from its last locational GPS fix it will ask for a compass calibration and will not allow take off until completed. Even if the bias is within tolerance it will still insist on a calibration.

This was another DJI attempt to weed out the idiot gene.
A mile is 1.6km where I come from.

Reactions: The Editor
Has anyone sent one into DJI service for this? Curious as to whether or not they own up to the defect or how much they charge...?

While I am thoroughly enjoying the quibbling...

The answer to the question is a ridiculous $189 (59 for the GPU and 65x2 for labor).

I would follow the previous advice and do it yourself.

I checked that the batteries were fully charged before powering it up. Also have tried IMU calibration outside without any success.

Note LiPo batteries are fickle things. They may well show 100% charge but may also drain incredibly quickly when under load if they’ve been stored for over a year. It all depends on how they’ve been stored.

I would fly each pack at least twice and just hover just to check the cell voltage doesn’t suddenly collapse leading the drone to crash.

Hi,

I have to replace my IMU module and was wondering if you could tell me exactly how you did it? Any help would be appreciated.

Guys, changing the IMU Module in the Mavic Pro is basically plug and play, no soldering. It literately took me (and I have Essential Tremor and Couldn't solder if my life depended on it!) 20 minutes to take the drone apart, remove the module and replace it. NO SOLDERING. BTW, use the IMU Module from the Mavic 2 (the module is the same, the mount is different) that I bought from Amazon for $29.00.

Once reassembled, I did a IMU calibration via the DJI Go 4 app and it passed the 1st time!

Hi,

I have to replace my IMU module and was wondering if you could tell me exactly how you did it? Any help would be appreciated.
Assuming you have a Mavic Pro.
Remove the metal bottom from your drone (8 screws), then unplug all the flat cables from the board (3 in front and one in the rear left). The Rear Left one connects differently, again remove the glue (carefully, don't cut that cable) and slide the cable out of the white connector. Then unsnap the 4 antenna cables from the bottom of the board, moving the longer ones out to the side. Then remove the 3 screws holding the board. Pry up on the right side of the board with a flat tool gently while pulling the board up and towards the front. Once the board is out, you will see the IMU Module.
You don't need to replace the whole board, all you need is the IMU Module shown here: Amazon.com: DJI Mavic 2 Service Part - IMU Module(Pro/Zoom) - Original OEM: Toys & Games
This is actually the IMU Module for the Mavic 2, but is the same module used in the Mavic Pro. You just need to remove the module from the Mavic 2 square mounting frame.
Remove the rubber mounts from the Square Frame and discard. There are 4 screws holding the IMU into the "X" shaped frame. They can be removed, allowing the module to slide out under the X Frame. Do this with the broken module in your drone and replace it with the NEW module you just removed from the X Frame and re-attach with the 4 screws (highlighted in the picture below).
IMU Module Screws.JPG
Using a reasonably sharp PLASTIC edge (a picnic knife will work, don't use anything metal), simply cut the white silicone along the edge of the plug on both sides of the plug, leaving the glue in place, and pry up on the plug to unplug the broken module. The "glue" is there to keep vibration from loosening the plug. When re-plugging the New module, simply push the glue away from the plug with the tool used to cut it and plug in the module. When it's well seated, the silicone will move back over the plug edge helping to hold it in place. Be sure to plug in the new module the exact same direction as the old one. I took a Picture of the module to use as a reference before I began so I wouldn't screw it up.
Then reassemble the bottom board in reverse order. Be sure to calibrate the IMU when you are done.
I hope this was helpful, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Assuming you have a Mavic Pro.
Remove the metal bottom from your drone (8 screws), then unplug all the flat cables from the board (3 in front and one in the rear left). The Rear Left one connects differently, again remove the glue (carefully, don't cut that cable) and slide the cable out of the white connector. Then unsnap the 4 antenna cables from the bottom of the board, moving the longer ones out to the side. Then remove the 3 screws holding the board. Pry up on the right side of the board with a flat tool gently while pulling the board up and towards the front. Once the board is out, you will see the IMU Module.
You don't need to replace the whole board, all you need is the IMU Module shown here: Amazon.com: DJI Mavic 2 Service Part - IMU Module(Pro/Zoom) - Original OEM: Toys & Games
This is actually the IMU Module for the Mavic 2, but is the same module used in the Mavic Pro. You just need to remove the module from the Mavic 2 square mounting frame.
Remove the rubber mounts from the Square Frame and discard. There are 4 screws holding the IMU into the "X" shaped frame. They can be removed, allowing the module to slide out under the X Frame. Do this with the broken module in your drone and replace it with the NEW module you just removed from the X Frame and re-attach with the 4 screws (highlighted in the picture below).
View attachment 86501
Using a reasonably sharp PLASTIC edge (a picnic knife will work, don't use anything metal), simply cut the white silicone along the edge of the plug on both sides of the plug, leaving the glue in place, and pry up on the plug to unplug the broken module. The "glue" is there to keep vibration from loosening the plug. When re-plugging the New module, simply push the glue away from the plug with the tool used to cut it and plug in the module. When it's well seated, the silicone will move back over the plug edge helping to hold it in place. Be sure to plug in the new module the exact same direction as the old one. I took a Picture of the module to use as a reference before I began so I wouldn't screw it up.
Then reassemble the bottom board in reverse order. Be sure to calibrate the IMU when you are done.
I hope this was helpful, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

This is very helpful, thank you. You say to discard the rubber mounts from the frame and discard, does the new module come with new rubber mounts?

This is very helpful, thank you. You say to discard the rubber mounts from the frame and discard, does the new module come with new rubber mounts?
Discard the rubber mounts from the new module, you are going to unscrew the IMU from the New X frame and install it in the X frame of the IMU in your drone. It's most important to remember that you are taking the IMU Module out of the Mavic 2 IMU Frame by removing the 4 screws, it's just easier to get it out of the Mavic 2 module frame by removing the rubber mounts. The X-Frame in the Mavic pro has rubber mounts, you will have to maneuver the New IMU module into the X-Frame of your drone and then replace the 4 screws, so DON'T remove the rubber mounts from your drone. Again, be sure to put the module into the X-Frame in the same direction of the old one or it won't plug in.

Last edited:
Discard the rubber mounts from the new module, you are going to unscrew the IMU from the New X frame and install it in the X frame of the IMU in your drone. It's most important to remember that you are taking the IMU Module out of the Mavic 2 IMU Frame by removing the 4 screws, it's just easier to get it out of the Mavic 2 module frame by removing the rubber mounts. The X-Frame in the Mavic pro has rubber mounts, you will have to maneuver the New IMU module into the X-Frame of your drone and then replace the 4 screws, so DON'T remove the rubber mounts from your drone. Again, be sure to put the module into the X-Frame in the same direction of the old one or it won't plug in.

Got it, thanks so much.

Hi Everyone

I have had my Mavic Pro sitting on a shelf doing nothing for almost a year as I have been away a lot for work. Now that things have settled down I thought I would take it for a flight. I powered it up, and it asked to do the IMU calibration. I started to do the IMU calibration and it keeps failing on error code 50 within 10 seconds of commencing the calibration. I have googled the fault but there are a myriad of answers from upgrading the firmware to its screwed.

I have tried upgrading the firmware, no success. I could not communicate with the drone in DJI assistant 2. At the moment I have a useless $1000+ drone. Can anybody help?
did you figure out what was wrong im having the same problem

You probably need to take it outside and do the IMU calibration - just use the DJIGo4 app to update everything. Check your batteries they might likely be dead if they sat idle for a year
What.. Those two things have nothing to do with an Imu calibration you need to do it on a nice flat level surface indoor or outdoor your imu one of them stuck there are two.. you need to take your Mavic pro take the battery out of it please sit in one hand and smack it with the other and try it again usually on a stick and I am you that stuck

did you figure out what was wrong im having the same problem
Hi there.

Unfortunately I have not yet fixed the drone. It has sat around doing bugger all. I tried the IMU calibration away from my driveway as per the reccomendation at the time but no luck. The drone is still unflyable which is annoying.

I am guessing the next step is to replace the IMU board.

Reactions: DDS
Hi there.

Unfortunately I have not yet fixed the drone. It has sat around doing bugger all. I tried the IMU calibration away from my driveway as per the reccomendation at the time but no luck. The drone is still unflyable which is annoying.

I am guessing the next step is to replace the IMU board.
Why not let @DDS have a look at it? (DJI Drone Service)

Reactions: DDS
Are they in Sydney, Australia?
Negative however that error for the MP the only fix is an imu swap. Saga......DJI does not sell the IMU stand alone. They do sell the main core board which is expensive and includes the IMU. We do have stripped ones for sale here. We can do this however shipping a drone from the south pacific to the states is not cheap...you can order the part and install yourself or give to your local repair shop. Not too much involved as the imu screws directly into the core board.

Hope this helps

Reactions: dirkclod
Estou tendo um problema idêntico no meu Mavic Pro. Mesma situação e mesmo resultado. Contatei o suporte e eles querem que eu envie por e-mail ... o cara via chat não hierarquizar.

Eu atualizei e atualizei ... mas o resultado não mudou. Código de erro 1 da IMU 1 e código de erro -50 da IMU sem nunca me pedir para mudar

Estou tendo um problema idêntico no meu Mavic Pro. Mesma situação e mesmo resultado. Contatei o suporte e eles querem que eu envie por e-mail ... o cara via chat não ajudou.

Eu atualizei e atualizei ... mas o resultado não mudou. Código de erro 1 da IMU 1 e código de erro -50 da IMU sem nunca me pedir para mudar de posição.
Você conseguiu resolver seu problema? estou com a mesma situação e estou quase jogando meu drone na parede.
Ele tem horas de voo e apareceu essa mensagem logo após ter realizado um pequeno voo.
Muito obrigado!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98