DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

IMU redundancy switch?

Jameslavis

Reactions
booted up and got this warning. Never seen that before. Wasn’t asked for any calibration and all sensors, gpd were solid. Turned off and turned on and didn’t come back. Ideas?

Reactions: Former Member
The Mavic has dual IMU's for redundancy as a failsafe as well as 2 compasses. If one of your IMU's is misbehaving, it will automatically switch to the other, but whenever I see that message, it means that the drone is relying on a single IMU, and its best to land asap. Sometimes the culprit is the accelerometer.

Also, best to do a full calibration including IMU, and other sensors and see if the error comes back. If so, it might be a mechanical problem and will need to be addressed.

Reactions: ksmusa
That’s what I’ve read. It was still in my hand as I hand launch and land. I hold it for a min or two to let all the connections get made. Controller with iPhone was under my arm but not sure why this error would come up without even taking off

The IMU's are responsible for various functions, and sometimes need a little while to initialize after power on. I get the IMU initializing message alot, but it usually goes away if the drone is untouched until the IMUs have gone through their routine.

Ya I hold and let it get gps lock, watch for compass calibration, check sensors and do the compass Facing check. About 1 min after power up that message fired up. So not sure what caused it as it had to errors anywhere, never took off. More worried about something on the inside acting up or just a fluke error?

The Mavic has dual IMU's for redundancy as a failsafe as well as 2 compasses. If one of your IMU's is misbehaving, it will automatically switch to the other, but whenever I see that message, it means that the drone is relying on a single IMU, and its best to land asap. Sometimes the culprit is the accelerometer.

Also, best to do a full calibration including IMU, and other sensors and see if the error comes back. If so, it might be a mechanical problem and will need to be addressed.
Thunder ~ could moving the drone around in your hand during its boot-up cause issues with the gyros or IMU? I remember on my P2, I had to leave it pretty still on the ground during boot, or it couldn't figure out which way was up.

Wonder if it’s related to latest firmware. I’ve done well over 200 flights with the air, 90 percent hand land and launch. First time
I’ve seen this error

could moving the drone around in your hand during its boot-up cause issues with the gyros or IMU

Yes absolutely. Sometimes when I start a drone I get an IMU message and it says "IMU Initializing. Do not move aircraft until initialization is complete." Sometimes it takes a few seconds and on some drones alot longer.

I hit up support just to let them know I
Got it. Will refresh firmware today and calibrate IMU from dji assistant

Yes absolutely. Sometimes when I start a drone I get an IMU message and it says "IMU Initializing. Do not move aircraft until initialization is complete." Sometimes it takes a few seconds and on some drones alot longer.
I asked this question, as I was wondering if the OP, @Jameslavis, who says he hand launches/catches, might be holding the drone while it's initializing.....?

Ya always. I’ve basically done all my take offs and initial Turn ins while in hand. Sure there is a chance it was maybe tilted or something covered. Just funny how 190 flights in and this happens.

I asked this question, as I was wondering if the OP, @Jameslavis, who says he hand launches/catches, might be holding the drone while it's initializing.....?

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The drone really needs to be started on a level surface until all systems have been initialized. Hand launching is one thing, but it should be started on a level surface first before launching.

After 190+ hand launches, my hand would be shaking too ;)

Reactions: Qoncussion
It shook more when I put it up the first few times! Pricey investment. Will initialize flat and see if it comes back

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato