DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In Door Flying ??'s

Dagwood_55

Reactions
So, I don't have a 2 Pro just yet. But thinking about one for my Bizness.

I make and sale very high end wood trim and architectual mouldings. These usually go in very large, very expensive houses and other buildings. For instance: we are doing a Catholic church, with large beams and stacked crown with 60 ft ceilings. If I take pictures then I'm either too far away or too panoramic to capture any detail. If I get too close then there is no sense of the total project.

So I was thinking of using a 2 Pro and making a video. First a 360 pan then then flying high for close up details, all in one shot or vid. Of course I don't need a crash, damaging my drone and possibly a ceiling or window.

What do you think??

Reactions: Luckyroo
Indoor flying has its challenges even in large spaces. No gps for a start so you may end up in Atti mode. Nothing wrong with this per se but you have to actually fly the drone rather than have it doing the bulk of the work.

If you are in the US you will also need your Part 107 and in the UK your PfCO.

Would love to see some of your work if you do go this route though.

If you do that make sure to turn off rth! Probably turn off most safe landing options also. Do you own a micro whoop? If not maybe look into that. Get one with a dvr. Great for indoor flying and little chance of hurting anything.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but DON'T DO IT!!
It's really easy to lose GPS hold inside, so the drone can drift. Once it strikes that molding of yours, you're gonna have to replace it. A far cheaper option is a gimbal on a monopod or an extendable pole. I have a gimbal for my gopro, and one for my phone. Unless you're doing magazine work, a competitive cell phone has a good enough camera. You're going to find that good lighting is more important than a drone inside.

I use a Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal on a 6' extendable monopod and a Galaxy S8. It does take some practice to make your gimbal movements look purposeful, but not as much practice as flying a Mavic. Also, the gimbal and the monopod are about $140 with zero liability, compared to a $1500 accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: Rich55
If you're going to do this consider a Spark with the prop guards installed
It's a bit smaller and I think you'll have an easier time and like RTKD said, correct lighting will be a challenge

Reactions: buddb55
I purchased the M2P partly for indoor video for real estate. There are prop guards available for the M2P (check the DJI store).
I have practiced flying it here inside a regular house until DJI locked me out with the new maps putting me in a NFZ. I can't even start the props inside my own house.
I was just about to try my first waypoints flight using DJI GS Pro when I got locked out. GS Pro will do waypoints as close as 1 meter and is supporting the Mavic 2's..
And most important, turn off the sensors. they are your enemy inside or in tight spaces.
Also, it does churn up a good wind...

So, I don't have a 2 Pro just yet. But thinking about one for my Bizness.

I make and sale very high end wood trim and architectual mouldings. These usually go in very large, very expensive houses and other buildings. For instance: we are doing a Catholic church, with large beams and stacked crown with 60 ft ceilings. If I take pictures then I'm either too far away or too panoramic to capture any detail. If I get too close then there is no sense of the total project.

So I was thinking of using a 2 Pro and making a video. First a 360 pan then then flying high for close up details, all in one shot or vid. Of course I don't need a crash, damaging my drone and possibly a ceiling or window.

What do you think??
If you live in the US you will need commercial pilots license (Part 107 in the States).

I fly indoors a lot. Prop guards on, obstacle avoidance off, lost signal hover in place and return to home altitude less than the ceiling height. As long as you go slow and be careful, it can be done.
That being said, the idea of a camera on an extendable pole would probably give you better results for what you're trying to do. The new DJI Osmo Pocket looks like it might be perfect.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Though definitely a good idea, I don't believe that's required for indoor flights. FAA only regulates outdoor airspace.

In the UK you’d still need your PfCO I think but good point about it being indoors. Would need to check that point.

I use a Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal on a 6' extendable monopod and a Galaxy S8. It does take some practice to make your gimbal movements look purposeful, but not as much practice as flying a Mavic. Also, the gimbal and the monopod are about $140 with zero liability, compared to a $1500 accident waiting to happen.

The OP mentions 60 foot ceilings. That would need a mighty long pole...

Also, I usually still have 10 to 12 satellites inside. If you have multiple floors above you, it may need more manual flying.

Reactions: Aussie Oldtimer
The OP mentions 60 foot ceilings. That would need a mighty long pole...
Think about that for a second though... If you had to install the moulding, that means you likely have scaffolding set up :) Just sayen

1: Buy propeller guards. No matter how good a drone pilot you are, they will save your butt, other people and the property your flying in. No shame in using them for safety.
2: Set RTH when connection is lost to "Hover". You don't want it flying 60 feet throw the roof because that's the lowest you can set RTH as minimum height.
3: Always start of at the lowest point in the room. Since the M2P flying indoor is only relying on it's ground sensor, it acting strange if you start at a counter top and then fly out over the floor or a staircase. Start of the floor even in a large room, then manurer up to where you want to film.
4: Start in P mode - once off the floor, switch immediately to T ( Tripod) mode. That will limit movement in any direction to 3 m/s and thereby avoiding catastrophe if you by mistake press the sticks full down. Remember the M2P is quite a powerful drone.
5: If it's very tight spaces you will have to switch off the obstetrical avoidance completely. But know by doing so, you are in full control - no help from the drone.
6: Walls, furniture and other obstetrical will influence (drift) your craft because of the turbulence from your own propellers. Stay as much as possible away from them and minimum 3 feet off the floor and cournes in the room.

Indoor flying has its challenges even in large spaces. No gps for a start so you may end up in Atti mode. Nothing wrong with this per se but you have to actually fly the drone rather than have it doing the bulk of the work.

Minor correction. In the US he will not need the 107 if he is doing INSIDE work ONLY. If he plans top fly it outdoors for his work, then yes he will need the 107.

What is wrong with just using a tripod and camera with a medium telephoto lens, most can also take videos too. Much safer and cheaper than buying a drone and will produce great photos! Won't be as much fun a flying a drone though.

What is wrong with just using a tripod and camera with a medium telephoto lens, most can also take videos too. Much safer and cheaper than buying a drone and will produce great photos! Won't be as much fun a flying a drone though.

You'd be looking UP at higher decorative work from some angle below rather than straight on, or nearly straight on. Of course, it would be a more normal viewing angle for those not looking at it from a drone's height!

Reactions: pbj_dk
My 2 bobs worth
using the drone would be lots of fun but could be very costly

I assume that you are only in the quotation stage so scaffolding etc is not viable.

I don’t think you would be able to control a 60’ pole with camera attached under any circumstances

See if you can get hold of a hi-end camera with long telephoto lens (hire) and a couple of good led spot lights. I often take very detailed pics of wildlife from 50m (150’) away and you can see details in their feathers from that range.

Failing that, hire a tall scissor lift and that will get you to your location easily. If you are scared of heights, don’t do the job

Actually, you only need your 107 License to fly in the National Airspace System. This does not include indoors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52