DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In Door Flying ??'s

I know we are all drone pilots, and prefer to work with our drones, but consider a Matterport scan. UNless you do a lot of these, you will probably want to contract this out, but I think it might meet your needs better. Wiht that said, I would assume that you has scaffolding setup when you did the installation, you might want to start the scan as you start taking the scaffold down.

Look at the Nikon P900 camera on amazon. It has a 2000mm zoom, takes awesome photos and it will give you excellent details far beyond 60 feet. And you could use it elsewhere in your work.

Part 107 does not cover flying indoors, unless you have a waiver, and then it might not get approved. I would not do it with a drone. I have hear about too many individuals crashing their drones indoors.

What is wrong with just using a tripod and camera with a medium telephoto lens, most can also take videos too. Much safer and cheaper than buying a drone and will produce great photos! Won't be as much fun a flying a drone though.

There's nothing wrong in using a good DSLR and lens. I been doing that for decades when filming/photo real estate. But you either have to have a pole (for close op/down angle pictures) and a long slider/lift and at least a 3D gimbal set up (and very steady walk) set up to achieve that cinematic "flying" throw the new home, that a drone with a good operator can do in minutes with no setup.
But yes - it is riskey, if you don't know what your are doing or are inexperienced. You need to have precise control over your drone and stay very calm even when the drone reacts strange and it will eventually do so- just a matter of the wrong circumstances.

Reactions: RTKD
I used my GoPro on a commercial pool cleaning pole and boomed up nice and high using that once - pole was only like $100 :) the guy with the Nikon 2000mm idea is also good otherwise I’d try My trusty canon 100-400mm first- not sure how you’d go with the low light no doubt in some of those vaulted ceilings but sounds like a fun challenge - could be handy for quoting too and inspections etc :)

...I have practiced flying it here inside a regular house until DJI locked me out with the new maps putting me in a NFZ. I can't even start the props inside my own house...
I don't know how or if this works on the M2, but you can cover the rear of MP with aluminum foil to force it into Atti mode to get around your NFZ problem at home. Worked for me anyway.

Reactions: lolo780
1: Buy propeller guards. No matter how good a drone pilot you are, they will save your butt, other people and the property your flying in. No shame in using them for safety.
2: Set RTH when connection is lost to "Hover". You don't want it flying 60 feet throw the roof because that's the lowest you can set RTH as minimum height.
3: Always start of at the lowest point in the room. Since the M2P flying indoor is only relying on it's ground sensor, it acting strange if you start at a counter top and then fly out over the floor or a staircase. Start of the floor even in a large room, then manurer up to where you want to film.
4: Start in P mode - once off the floor, switch immediately to T ( Tripod) mode. That will limit movement in any direction to 3 m/s and thereby avoiding catastrophe if you by mistake press the sticks full down. Remember the M2P is quite a powerful drone.
5: If it's very tight spaces you will have to switch off the obstetrical avoidance completely. But know by doing so, you are in full control - no help from the drone.
6: Walls, furniture and other obstetrical will influence (drift) your craft because of the turbulence from your own propellers. Stay as much as possible away from them and minimum 3 feet off the floor and cournes in the room.
I think you mean "obstacle" avoidance! Don't want any pregnant females in the flight path!
LOL

Indoor flying has its challenges even in large spaces. No gps for a start so you may end up in Atti mode. Nothing wrong with this per se but you have to actually fly the drone rather than have it doing the bulk of the work.

If you are in the US you will also need your Part 107 and in the UK your PfCO.

Would love to see some of your work if you do go this route though.
Indoors?

So, I don't have a 2 Pro just yet. But thinking about one for my Bizness.

I make and sale very high end wood trim and architectual mouldings. These usually go in very large, very expensive houses and other buildings. For instance: we are doing a Catholic church, with large beams and stacked crown with 60 ft ceilings. If I take pictures then I'm either too far away or too panoramic to capture any detail. If I get too close then there is no sense of the total project.

So I was thinking of using a 2 Pro and making a video. First a 360 pan then then flying high for close up details, all in one shot or vid. Of course I don't need a crash, damaging my drone and possibly a ceiling or window.

What do you think??

Easier option is a 360 spherical camera on an extended selfie pole. Small price for s 270cm selfie pole and use camera Insta 360. I recorded their tutorial video here insta360 - Bangkok SM Hub

The gain work spherical vid is Insta app allows u to output standard vid from any view angle within the sphere (spherical) The results are astonishing

Droning inside is not easy for all the reasons mentioned by other members

The bonus is the spherical camera is great pics or vids on selfie pole or attach the selfie pole to drone to reduce risk of crashing drone to object

Easier option is a 360 spherical camera on an extended selfie pole. Small price for s 270cm selfie pole and use camera Insta 360. I recorded their tutorial video here insta360 - Bangkok SM Hub

The gain work spherical vid is Insta app allows u to output standard vid from any view angle within the sphere (spherical) The results are astonishing

Droning inside is not easy for all the reasons mentioned by other members

The bonus is the spherical camera is great pics or vids on selfie pole or attach the selfie pole to drone to reduce risk of crashing drone to object

If u want to attach camera and a pole to drone it’s easy. Use my 3D prints harness (the cradle) designed to carry anything above or below the drone
The Cradle - Bangkok SM Hub

M2 seems to seriously limit altitude when in vision mode (no GPS). Found this out recording our mobile model train layout at an expo hall. The limit was around 10-15ft. It was quite stable but created quite a bit of prop wind that some scenery objects got blown out of place.
This was after we set up, not too many people around as the actual event wasn't until the next day

I don't know how or if this works on the M2, but you can cover the rear of MP with aluminum foil to force it into Atti mode to get around your NFZ problem at home. Worked for me anyway.
It works, but the M2 seems to have much better GPS reception than any other DJI product. Be careful is if the GPS gets a fix while flying it will immediately go into landing mode.
Screenshot_20181214-200923_Video%20Player.jpeg

Don't want to rain on your parade, but DON'T DO IT!!
It's really easy to lose GPS hold inside, so the drone can drift. Once it strikes that molding of yours, you're gonna have to replace it. A far cheaper option is a gimbal on a monopod or an extendable pole. I have a gimbal for my gopro, and one for my phone. Unless you're doing magazine work, a competitive cell phone has a good enough camera. You're going to find that good lighting is more important than a drone inside.

I use a Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal on a 6' extendable monopod and a Galaxy S8. It does take some practice to make your gimbal movements look purposeful, but not as much practice as flying a Mavic. Also, the gimbal and the monopod are about $140 with zero liability, compared to a $1500 accident waiting to happen.
Agree. I have flown inside and sometimes it is smooth and comfortable. But dam it when it drifts and goes completely **** and then I fight it to get it to land. Yes, I have run into walls and it is just **** scary to find out did I break something or do damage. I am giving up the indoor shooting thing. Take a stupid drone and manually fly is easy compared to the Mavric pro 2. It gets a mind of its own. Then your like holding on to the bull's horn waiting to get stabbed.

I was asked to do a video for a motorsports dealership. I used my Mavic Air with prop guards. Turned off the sensors and flew in Tripod mode. The dealership is not complete yet, and I did some test flights to gain more confidence

(here is the test video
The entire video was shot using my Air)

I feel pretty confident with my flying skills, but I dont think that I would use my M2 Zoom indoors for the same purpose.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos