DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In flight CSC shut down, possible?

This might help.

I ve been thinking about possible crash causes whether Mini 2 or others and wonder if it is possible to accidentally shut I wonder why the software doesn’t alert the user before it actually shut down the motors in flight. It just feel like when shooting sports or any action, you could shut down your motors...

Or am I over thinking this?
I am deaf so I hear no warnings but I have CSC'd a mavic mini, MM, (fly app) at about 6ft over longish grass, by the time the motors stopped the MM was about 18" off the ground, I do not remember any visible warning.
BTW, to do that I had switched the CSC response to "anytime" or whatever the alternative to "Emergency Only" is called.
Bear in mind that the CSC position commands something like maximum reverse, maximum left, maximum clockwise yaw and maximum descent BEFORE the motors stop i.e. it is a fairly radical maneuver.

I have also tried it with the CSC response set to "Emergency Only", I was fairly confident the motors would not stop and I started at a height of 100m+. I held the sticks in the CSC position throught out the descent. The MM descended in a CONTROLLED helix all the way down to maybe 2m AND it slowed its descent as the ground came within range of the downward looking sensors.
I released the sticks at around 2m and the drone hovered.
Why was I fairly confident the motors would not stop? Previously, with the CSC response set to "Emergency Only", I had held the MM in my hand and started the motors, a good grip is required. Then I waggled the hand holding the MM (to simulate the jostling it gets in flight) and tried the CSC command, the motors did not stop whilst I waggled my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EyesWideShut
I ve been thinking about possible crash causes whether Mini 2 or others and wonder if it is possible to accidentally shut down the motors in flight. I lost an Anafi (my previous drone before the Mini 2) when it suddenly fell out of the sky for no obvious reasons.

I was recording a friend in a Lyft eFoil (electric foiling board) and was possibly panning right while moving left and backing out. This would be pretty close to the shut down command and all it would take is pulling the left stick down a bit.

I wonder why the software doesn’t alert the user before it actually shut down the motors in flight. It just feel like when shooting sports or any action, you could shut down your motors...

Or am I over thinking this?
Your not overthinking this at all. It seems like this happend to me while I was flying moving left and backing out. (see video and flight logs) 1636155585086.png

But not at full stick.
You aren't corkscrewing downwards at full speed while also flying backwards-sideways at full speed.
Despite the concerns of inexperienced flyers, it's just not something you need to worry about.
It just isn't happening.
This is not true. It happend to me when I was just flying normal. See Video

This is not true. It happend to me when I was just flying normal. See Video
So you've mentioned several times this week.
But you weren't flying in Normal Mode, which would have had the drone making crazy extreme moves.
You did it in Tripod Mode, and I've never seen that reported before.
Even then, it's hard to imagine why you'd be be doing that.

Your not overthinking this at all. It seems like this happend to me while I was flying moving left and backing out. (see video and flight logs)
With your joystick held in that position, the drone was doing more than just moving left and backing out.
It was moving backwards + descending + rotating anti-clockwise +flying sideways to the right, all at the same time.
It's not often that anyone would make that move or a reason you would.

Last edited:
So you've mentioned several times this week.
But you weren't flying in Normal Mode, which would have had the drone making crazy extreme moves.
You did it in Tripod Mode, and I've never seen that reported before.
Even then, it's hard to imagine why you'd be be doing that.
I was flying in cinematic mode (slow mode). You can see this clearly on the video. The speed and manouvers were very normal. I am waiting for DJI to analyse the flight data. will let you know what they conclude and whether it is on me to blame or not.

With your joystick held in that position, the drone was doing more than just moving left and backing out.
It was moving backwards + descending + rotating anti-clockwise +flying sideways to the right, all at the same time.
It's not often that anyone would make that move or a reason you would.
Again: you can see very clearly on the video how relaxt and normal the aircraft movements were when I used the joystick in that combination. You describe it as if it were a very uncommon and weird move that I made but the video proves that this is not the case. I mean you didnt saw my drone flying upside down and backward with the speed of light traveling back in time, do you? Thát would be highly uncommon….

Again: you can see very clearly on the video how relaxt and normal the aircraft movements were when I used the joystick in that combination. You describe it as if it were a very uncommon and weird move that I made but the video proves that this is not the case. I mean you didnt saw my drone flying upside down and backward with the speed of light traveling back in time, do you? Thát would be highly uncommon….
We don't see what those movements would have done in flight because, the drone was moving slowly in cine mode and you killed the motors before it could begin the movements that would have happened if you had disabled mid-air stopping of motors.

The manual explains quite clearly what would happen in your situation.
i-N4gcfWv-L.jpg

The joystick moves you made weren't just moving left and backing out and aren't something that anyone would normally make in flight.

It's possible to CSC in flight.
But it's not likely to happen accidentally.
You are never going to have your joysticks in that position in normal flight.
And if you fly in a way that you could accidentally CSC, you were going to crash pretty soon anyway.
Clearly you're not that experienced on actions scenes for example. And if you're a FPV pilot, even more easier to activate by mistake the CSC, once I was going downward and rotating slowly to catch a car in movement, but half way I realised I didn't wanted to go that close, so went backward and side to frame better the car. And boom almost did it if I had hold it for 3seconds(actually not sure how many seconds I should hold it).
It's really not that difficult to do it by mistake, obviously if you wanna flight very basic like forward backward and sideways, yeah its hard to do it.
I would suggest increase the sensibility of both joysticks, that way it would be more difficult to hold the 3 seconds on the edges.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky