DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"In NFZ" - Was not in NFZ

GA_Mavic

Reactions
Today I was unable to take off from an area I've flown in before. A few weeks ago flying in the same location I received a warning with two checkboxes and was allowed to fly. This time, I was unable to take off.

I was about 3 miles from an airport, and had permission from tower to fly in the area. Controller stated "In NFZ". I just checked with DJI's Geo Map, and it does not show a NFZ.

Using firmware .0700. Any idea what would cause this?

There is also a "No-Fly" map that comes into play sometimes if no internet access - could that have happened here?

Might be worth checking airmap app to see if there could have been a TFR - those have grounded a few people recently.

Reactions: GA_Mavic
I don't see anything there either. I spoke with the tower about 10 minutes before trying to fly and got clearance.

If you want to provide your exact flight location we can look at some additional maps for clues.

B4UFly shows that in five NFZ circles, one of which is an airforce base that flies C-130's and C-5's. The other four are all helipads, Kennestone, Calhoun, Galleria and Interstate North. That being said, B4UFly has me in five circles as well, one small prop airport, one hospital helipad and three farmer fields that don't actually fly aircraft at all.

Reactions: GA_Mavic and endr
The airforce base is the location I called to get permission to fly. Any reason flying here a couple weeks ago wasn't a problem, and now it is?

Is it because I haven't upgraded to .0800?

So, after looking closer at the location I see it is close to Sun Trust Park. If there was a game played on the day of the flight there would probably have been an NFZ with a radius of 3 nautical miles or about 3.5 statute miles from the stadium. I see that the Braves had home games June 23, 24, 25 so very possible DJI had this temporary limit in place over the weekend and may have even had it active longer than it should have been.

My attempted flight was yesterday, the 26th. I'll be around the same area again today so I'll see if I'm still grounded. Thanks for all your research and help.

Hey MPK, you got it! It was suntrust park. Just barely.

In the dji Go app it's showing I'm in a NFZ Authorization Zone, however the DJI geo map online doesn't show it. I updated the apps NFZ yesterday when prompted. Any way to force a NFZ update?

Do I have to update to the most recent firmware to authorize the authorization zones?

Attachments

• IMG_1232.PNG
    IMG_1232.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
If it is just an authorization zone and not the red NFZ, you should be able to use GEO part of the app to unlock on site - or go to the online GEO site and should be able to do an advance unlock from there. Seems weird that for a SunTrust event they would do a yellow zone but who knows? I'm pretty sure you can do all the unlocking on firmware .700. Not sure about forcing an update on maps I have not tried that.

I recall reading a thread where a person said he was getting different NFZ maps on his Android tablet vs what was showing on his Android phone. So since you seem to be having a map mismatch you might try using or borrowing a different device to see if the auth zone goes away -- it may be an app version/firmware version combo not handling it right.

Hey MPK, you got it! It was suntrust park. Just barely.

In the dji Go app it's showing I'm in a NFZ Authorization Zone, however the DJI geo map online doesn't show it. I updated the apps NFZ yesterday when prompted. Any way to force a NFZ update?

Do I have to update to the most recent firmware to authorize the authorization zones?

Authorization should work in .700. It did with mine. If you are already on .700 there is really no reason not to upgrade to .900, nor is there really a reason to if you don't want to. I had a NFZ issue when I first ubdated to .800, but DJI corrected it when I emailed them.

A quick way to get authorization is to try to start your motors in the Authorization zone. A window will pop up to start the quick authorization process.....

It may be an app/firmware conflict. I haven't updated either since the release of 0.0700.

When I tried to take off today I got the Authorization screen, but the OK button to proceed was greyed out.

I'm going to update software and app to the most current version and see if it corrects it.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000