DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

In your own opinion how reliable is DJI Mavic?

Bole,

I love my Mavic. I put at least six hours on it today, just swapped batteries and changed some settings. I'm by no means a professional but I've been flying these things since the "old days" (2 years ago)! I still fly my P2V3, my P3Pro's, my 3DR Solo and all of my (12) race drones. There is a little bit of salt to go with the sugar though. It is imperative that you understand the bird inside and out. The firmware and DJI Go updates can sometimes cause great discomfort. When I find a combination that works for me and it does what I want it to do, I stay with it. I just push past the upgrade nags. On the Mavic, I'm currently on .400 firmware and DJI Go 4.0.3 and I have no interest in moving beyond. Same with my P2, P3P's and Solo, once you like what it does, stay there, lock it down. Don't buy into the "you must upgrade hype".

Read the heck out of these forums. Ignore the BS but look for the real issues. I have one now, I can't get the horizon straight on every video shot. I'm still reading to try to figure it out but I won't upgrade until I know that's the only way to solve the issue. Just trying to keep up and pushing through the BS is a chore in itself. Look at alternative apps. I fly mostly with Litchi on all of my DJI products. You still need DJI Go for some settings but as far as I'm concerned, Litchi is a very good and reliable product. There are many others but I stopped "testing" all of them once I found Litchi (I was an Alpha and Beta tester for many of them and I'm still a Beta tester for Litchi iOS but I don't contribute much).

You need to decide on Apple iOS, Android or both. Whatever you decide, go high-end on your tablet or phone, don't try to skimp here. I use iOS devices in my daily life but chose Android as my primary flying platform. On a daily basis, I use a Motorola Moto Z phone and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet with my Mavic and an Nvidia Shield with my P3P's.

Bottom line, I've never "crashed" or had a "fail" on any of my DJI products. My P2 had an abortion once and dove into the ground (cause still undetermined, pilot error or bird?) but I got her up and going again. Short of that, I haven't experienced the many issues you'll read about on these forums (short of upgrades).

It takes a bit of work to keep these things safely in the air but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything and I don't know of a better aerial photography bird that can compete at this level.

Good luck!

Jerry

Last edited:
Greetings,

I am obviously new to this forum but not new to quads. I have a simple question for existing Mavic owners of all experience levels.

I am close to buying one but I was a lot closer before I started reading Mavic user forums. I know that all internet forums will mostly draw negative comments or bad experiences. It seems everytime there is a thread where the user claims Mavic fault there is a lot gatekeeping (drones are not for everyone...) and user blaming/shaming (RTFM) unless there is video proof. Logs are mostly overlooked and inconclusive. Advice is abundant but mostly not very helpful (calibrate ICU/compass everytime and far away from magnetic interference). I understand perfectly the importance of preflight checks and precautions but seems that even with all that a lot can and does go wrong for no apparent reason or users fault.

My point being, does this product deliver the features it is selling? "The DJI Mavic Pro is a small yet powerful drone that turns the sky into your creative canvas easily and without worry" "When you tell the Mavic to fly home, it will return to that coordinate, match the video, and land back at your feet."
I have only one complaint. They claim to have Livestream to FaceBook. I have tried just about everything that can be done. Still dose not work.

Tony

Greetings,

I am obviously new to this forum but not new to quads. I have a simple question for existing Mavic owners of all experience levels.

I am close to buying one but I was a lot closer before I started reading Mavic user forums. I know that all internet forums will mostly draw negative comments or bad experiences. It seems everytime there is a thread where the user claims Mavic fault there is a lot gatekeeping (drones are not for everyone...) and user blaming/shaming (RTFM) unless there is video proof. Logs are mostly overlooked and inconclusive. Advice is abundant but mostly not very helpful (calibrate ICU/compass everytime and far away from magnetic interference). I understand perfectly the importance of preflight checks and precautions but seems that even with all that a lot can and does go wrong for no apparent reason or users fault.

My point being, does this product deliver the features it is selling? "The DJI Mavic Pro is a small yet powerful drone that turns the sky into your creative canvas easily and without worry" "When you tell the Mavic to fly home, it will return to that coordinate, match the video, and land back at your feet."
I have never had any issues. Never even calibrated the compass. I am a pilot for 35 years. In my opinion crashes and run aways are pilot error.

Love the Mavic Pro

Reactions: Dunczyk
I've flown over 1,600 miles in 10 months with only minor or user related issues. Mavic is (in my opinion) a flight workhorse.

...In your own opinion how reliable is DJI Mavic?...
My MP is very reliable. DJI hardware is great but their software is not. Litchi is a good alternative. I have been flying my MP for over a year and am still impressed with it.
...My point being, does this product deliver the features it is selling? "The DJI Mavic Pro is a small yet powerful drone that turns the sky into your creative canvas easily and without worry" "When you tell the Mavic to fly home, it will return to that coordinate, match the video, and land back at your feet."
I don't know where you got your quote, but my MP does deliver. In my opinion DJI still needs to fine tune the software/firmware for the new M2. For instance, they added a landing light but eliminated the precision landing feature that would use it (so it may not land "back at your feet"). They also added more collision avoidance sensors but they only work in a couple of flying modes. The M2 a solid machine and the hope is that DJI will improve the functionality in future software/firmware updates.

My first mavic was from the first batch made - preordered etc, had a compass problem, occasionally switched to ATTi, I learnt fast how to fly a toilet bowl! About 4 months in compass gave in completely, wouldn’t take off. the insides where repaired under warranty, since then never had a problem until I recently landed it in the ocean... (through no fault of the mavic)

When I did get signal loss, normally due to being 1000m out and only 8m up, it would like clockwork rise up to RTH altitude and once signal regained I could fly as usual. Or RTH.

Second mavic never had any problems.

The only other early issues I had were from not understanding some intelligent flight modes eg active track, and having mavic almost fly into obstacles due to using modes in wrong way. Once I learnt how the intelligent flight modes work and what their limitations are, those issues also ceased to be an issue.

So very reliable in my opinion, after the initial teething.

No. My Mavic never freaked out on me.
On a few occasions in a city I flew behind a very tall building and lost RC connection.
After a few seconds the Mavic would start the RTH sequence and rise up to the set RTH altitude to re-gain RC connection within short time.
Everything worked for me as you would expect it so far.

Hi. Before my MP I had a Phantom 4 that precisely lost RC connection behind a tall building and unfortunately my RTH altitude was short, maybe by a couple of meters. Never saw it again... :-(
But yes, everything worked as should.

it's very dependable my mavic pro has over 2,000 miles on her still going strong.. I will not ever get rid of her.. she's that good!!

MP is good, the GO4 app can suck a lot of times and ruin your flight experiences.

DJI makes a decent bird but their App designs always in Beta really suck imo. Several app updates rendered the bird not even flyable. I think it took DJI about 6 months to do something about it other than tell people to buy more expensive mobile devices to use their app. Confused many users that said why buy a new device to work a single app? So some just bought other products like the Anafi, Evo etc. DJI is good, but the customer support is not their strongpoint. Out of 3 drones I have from DJI, none have not given me problems with the app or firmware updates that really made me want to say I'm done. At the time, DJI was really the only game in town. Today there are several really good options that seem to have much better customer support.

Thus forum covers many countries from the us to the uk to Australia , as with all electrical devices there are a few defect units that get to retail , some are caused by shipping issues as to how they are handled but to be honest I’ve had no major issues with the pro , if you don’t have any problems you generally don’t write into forums, so don’t read into this to much, my experience with dji products in general has been very good and most issues have been down to app updates that normally get sorted pretty quick , so take the plunge and click buy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03