DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inadvertant Landing/Crash

Coyyote

Reactions
Having flown my Mavic Pro 2 for a couple days with excellent performance from the bird today i was having it creep around the yard at low altitude and low speed to observe how the obstacle avoidance worked while I was carefully watching both control and drone. After several good episodes of the drone stopping I inched it up to a small pine tree and it announced "Obstacle", then immediately the remote flashed "Landing" and the bird crashed into the lower limbs of the tree and fell 4 feet to the ground. Although I did not see any visible damage, ESC error (not recoverable by re-flashing firmware), so its on its way back to DJI.

The perplexing issue is I was not attempting to land or descend and the drone had just moved forward to announce obstacle when it automomously decided to land and hit the broader lower branches of the pine tree. Any thoughts on why this would occur, or anyone else note this behavior. One thought I had is rather than the drone getting close to the ground and initiate landing as it moved forward the lower branches below the drone increased in their proximity to the bottom and initiated a landing sequence?

[Admin I posted this in Mavic General before I saw this new section]

Reactions: ElJefe
Check out page 22 of the manual. It discusses which sensors are active in which mode plus the various things that it can't detect. For the lateral sensors, it mentions it cannot see tree branches. Not sure about the downward sensors and their limitations.

I know that unless I'm in tripod or active track mode, not all sensors are active.

My drone crashed tonight after losing altitude whilst I was on an embankment with equal slopes either side. I never touched altitude once after it was above ground and given I reported I could not calibrate IMU to DJI with no response before this mine is going back too. The leg on my drone is now damaged but I reported a fair few issues including the gimbal behaving erratic and overheating it makes no difference about the now damaged leg, I had enough documented issues. It seems this drone is plagued with issues for some unlucky buyers.

I have seen the info about when sensors are active. What is unexplainable is how did the system go from "Obstacle" to "Landing" and crash in less than a second or two - certainly before I could make an active crash avoidance response.

If it would have merely responded with "Obstacle", as it did with the 3-4 other evolutions of similar testing I was doing, I would have merely backed away and continued flight. The unanticipated and autonomous "Landing" was the causitive factor in the crash.

I know someone on here can read your logs and find out exactly what happened. Not sure who it is but I understand everything is in there. I feel for you man!

You might want to do a search of this forum to understand how to get the logs then post them on this thread. Otherwise, it will all be speculation about what happened.

Good thought. Are logs in the drone (now on its way to DJI) or where do I find them? Tnx

The .txt logs will be on the mobile device. Upload them to Phantomhelp.com

Was the battery low? It will auto land BEFORE the battery shows 0

Just to add to this, two days ago my drone was indicating low battery so I brought it in close to me ready for a manual land and with only a few minutes left battery power it took off into RTA which is set at 120M if I had not stopped it, it would have climbed to 120M and no doubt fell from the sky. I've had nowt but trouble with mine.

If you waited until it was below 15-20% battery, then you are taking the risk. If you flew it until it only had enough battery to land, then I understand why you have had problems.

You should not fly the battery that low. When its drained its drained. The lower the charge the faster it loses charge percentage. If you are pushing flight time, change the RTH feature before you start.

I dont recall the battery being low (no warning on remote) and I used a newly charged battery and was just fiddling around my yard, no long missions.

Am still trying to find the txt log on the iPad I used (flying with Litchi) but no joy in locating it. I did sign up to UAV and they have the logs for my old Mavic Pro but no logs for the dozen and a half flights from my Mavic Pro 2. Any help on how to find the logs on my iPad would be appreciated.

I dont recall the battery being low (no warning on remote) and I used a newly charged battery and was just fiddling around my yard, no long missions.

Am still trying to find the txt log on the iPad I used (flying with Litchi) but no joy in locating it. I did sign up to UAV and they have the logs for my old Mavic Pro but no logs for the dozen and a half flights from my Mavic Pro 2. Any help on how to find the logs on my iPad would be appreciated.
You had not mentioned Litchi before, that may impact DJI analysis.

Litchi beta? I use the beta too but fly at least two mistakes high when I do. It's not stable yet and I have reported 4 issues so far

Litchi beta? I use the beta too but fly at least two mistakes high when I do. It's not stable yet and I have reported 4 issues so far

What issues did you have , I am using beta as well but not noticed any problem in recent beta update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d