DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Incident

bvsolutions

Reactions
I was not able to bring my drone back from Coldfish Lake.

My MP was flying over the lake. I saw an bald eagle approaching, and was trying to get the camera turned around to take video of the eagle.
The eagle hit the drone, (perhaps it thought it was prey) the video feed and control feed vanished.
The drone fell into the lake, not recoverable.
The eagle flew away.
All I have is the memory of the spectacle.

How deep is lake ?? Not worth recovering ??
No video cache ??

How deep is lake ?? Not worth recovering ??
No video cache ??
About 140’ deep at this spot
Video not active at this point
Another recovery difficulty is remoteness.
This is a 25 min floatplane trip from the nearest road

That's such a sad story. [emoji24]

I agree. BUT, the one good thing is if you are a Mavic to be taken out by an apex predator ? must be one of the most honorable and respected ways to go amongst your peers. Way better than having to slowly descend into water against your will because your owner messed up RTH and misjudged battery power. Be strong bv be strong. We honor the memory of your Mavic who died with his boots on doing what he loved.

Last edited:
I agree. BUT, the one good thing is if you are a Mavic to be taken out by an apex predator ? must be one of the most honorable and respected ways to go amongst your peers. Way better than having to slowly descend into water against your will because your owner messed up RTH and misjudged battery power. Be strong bv be strong. We honor the memory of your Mavic who died with his boots on doing what he loved.
May he rust in pieces.

Reminds me of a poem I was required to memorize (by nuns armed with rulers):

The Eagle, Lord Alfred Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;​
Close to the sun in lonely lands,​
Ring'd with the azure world, he stands.​
The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;​
He watches from his mountain walls,​
And like a thunderbolt he falls.​

My MP was flying over the lake. I saw an bald eagle approaching, and was trying to get the camera turned around to take video of the eagle.
The eagle hit the drone, (perhaps it thought it was prey) the video feed and control feed vanished.
The eagle flew away.
sad...sorry you lost your drone

I have seen LARGE Black Birds (crows ?) eyeball my bird when up but that Eagle has some pair of Coulhonnes (some NERVE !

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Chip . . . I love this response. If I lose my bird, this is how I want her to go.

Reactions: Bob1956 and Chip

The eagle flew away.
BV I feel so horrible for you. MAN, I really do. Chip is right; this is the most honorable way to lose her. I had a hawk spying me out on labor day at Lytle Creek in San Bernardino County, CA. My bird (M2P) has a yellow skin so I guess that's dinner to them. I immediately banked left and went low over trees. Those predator birds are everywhere. Sorry bro . . . I know you are getting another one.

I flew with a pack of seagulls the other day. They seemed inquisitive and I got nervous about a collision, especially if someone thought I was trying to do so intensionally. Figured it was going to be some great footage but they didn’t even appear close.

I've heard that when a predatory bird is near the best maneuver is sport mode...straight up and away from the threat.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Wow, thats pretty scary since I recently had a bald eagle do 5 flybys of my Mavic Pro on a flight. Glad he didn't decide to attack as I was over salt water at the time.

Just a word of caution....although you might be flying in a "legal" area...there are special laws around "molestation of wildlife", particularly bald eagles or other migratory birds. Fines can be quite steep, even if you unknowingly violate the law. Fish and Wildlife officials can be monitoring the birds from miles away.

From the sound if it, you might be risking more than your drone by continuing to fly in the conditions you describe.

Reminds me of a poem I was required to memorize (by nuns armed with rulers):

The Eagle, Lord Alfred Tennyson

He clasps the crag with crooked hands;​
Close to the sun in lonely lands,​
Ring'd with the azure world, he stands.​
The wrinkled sea beneath him crawls;​
He watches from his mountain walls,​
And like a thunderbolt he falls.​
Thanks for sharing this fine poem, John. I used it [unarmed] in English classes many years ago to teach several poetic devices. It's right up there with Archibald Macleish's "Ars Poetica."
So sorry about abuse done by nuns on children.

Reactions: Chip and passedpawn
Here at 1:10 a very close encounter with a seagull. Mavic Air. Would have torn the Mav to shreds if it had caught it. Lucky me.

Last edited:
Really? That's what you got from that? did you see me at any time molest any wildlife? I was just flying in a place I have flown dozens of times before. JFC, is there anything someone can post that the "perfect flyers' out there can't find fault with? I'm out of here.

haha, I know. I'm afraid to post here anymore, too. The scolding is pretty awful. For certain, I'm not posting any video.

The eagle flew away.
I've heard of that thing happening. Maybe we pilots need to know what birds of prey are in our neighborhoods. Now... and underwater RDV would find that drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki