DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

incompatible with my phone and tablet

After 3 days and shipping to and from the seller, I bought new phone that I didn't need with money I don't have. I spent all Sunday getting it up to running speed and the Mavic 2 still will not connect.

After 3 days and shipping to and from the seller, I bought new phone that I didn't need with money I don't have. I spent all Sunday getting it up to running speed and the Mavic 2 still will not connect.
Return the new phone and the Mavic. Maybe the Mavic is bad.
IF as you stated your old phones worked with a Mavic pro They should still work with a Mavic 2. Its the same software. Never mind the "list" because if your old stuff is not on the list now, it wasn't on the Mavic pro list either and still worked fine according to your post.
That list isnt the ONLY phones that work. The list is the ONLY phones DJI tested.

Update: The mavic pro works on Note9 only with an otg USB type c to micro USB adapter. With the USB type c cable it is not working...
Anyone to test the new (ver2) mavics with note 4 and note 9?
Did you completely remove the side cable when you tried to use the bottom USB port on the remote? Bottom port won't work if the side port has a cable plugged in, with exception of charging cable.

Let's not forget that the app gets bigger and bigger to support new products. Eventually the latest version of Go4 won't work on lower end devices even with older model Mavics.
Also, just because a device isn't on the list doesn't mean it isn't compatible. It only means it hasn't been verified by DJI to be compatible.
One item that might cause a device to have problems is resource managers trying to help conserve power. Make sure Go didn't get "managed", it is sure to fail if it is power managed.
My HTC started crashing all sorts of apps. I found them in power boost. I cleared them all and problems went away.
Go 4.3.0 (or was it 4.3.1) seemed prone to crashing on my HTC, Samsung Tab E (but that one always was trouble with both Go 3 and Go 4) and Tab S3.
When I get my M2Z, I'll see if Go 4.3.2 is more stable.

Let's not forget that the app gets bigger and bigger to support new products. Eventually the latest version of Go4 won't work on lower end devices even with older model Mavics.
Also, just because a device isn't on the list doesn't mean it isn't compatible. It only means it hasn't been verified by DJI to be compatible.
One item that might cause a device to have problems is resource managers trying to help conserve power. Make sure Go didn't get "managed", it is sure to fail if it is power managed.
My HTC started crashing all sorts of apps. I found them in power boost. I cleared them all and problems went away.
Go 4.3.0 (or was it 4.3.1) seemed prone to crashing on my HTC, Samsung Tab E (but that one always was trouble with both Go 3 and Go 4) and Tab S3.
When I get my M2Z, I'll see if Go 4.3.2 is more stable.
Bigger means it takes more space on the device mainly. The information processed between the RC and device continuously is pretty much exactly the same. Telemetry and video.
Memory can be freed up to accommodate, the problem starts when you dont have enough memory.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Bigger means it takes more space on the device mainly. The information processed between the RC and device continuously is pretty much exactly the same. Telemetry and video. Make sure Go didn't get "managed", it is sure to fail if it is power managed.
Memory can be freed up to accommodate, the problem starts when you dont have enough memory.

What does "power managed" mean? (My new P10 Plus phone has 6 gigs of RAM according to the guy that sold it to me.)

Many devices have apps that control other apps to stretch battery life. Some controls applied include CPU throttling, background process killing and stuff like that. On HTC it is Power Optimizer in Boost+
In some cases it may be in Settings.

Bigger means it takes more space on the device mainly. The information processed between the RC and device continuously is pretty much exactly the same. Telemetry and video.
So you don't think more CPU processing power is needed to run the extra new code? Guess again.

So you don't think more CPU processing power is needed to run the extra new code? Guess again.
A good portion of it is TSR Processed when first started (geofence, NFZ’s etc). What happens during flight hasn’t changed much according to release notes.

I would not call this a mistake, but deception. I copied and pasted the specifications onto a WORD document. The phone specs were on page 17, of 20 pages all up...in a tiny 9 font! That is not something most people would read.

The seller should make clear on the front page that the app no longer supports the phones and tablets that It once did on the new Mavic and other drones. At the very least the seller should tell the buyer look at the specifications very carefully before buying the product.

A new phone starts at $500 NZD on sale for a P10. If I had known that I need to spend another $500, I would not have bought the product.

So, you put it into your own format and didn't like what you saw? That is ridiculous. On the website, which is all that matters, the font is exactly the same as everything else other than it has further been highlighted in RED for extra visibility. There is no deception. It even has it's own heading in all capital letters. They literally went out of their way to make it more noticeable.

There are approximately 24,000 different Android devices on the market. How on earth do you expect DJI, let alone your salesperson, to know the compatibility of each? They test by far the most common devices first, and then post that list very clearly on their website. Other manufacturers do exactly the same thing, there is no deception there. At some point the customer is accountable, and it's not unreasonable to expect the customer to read the specifications of a drone before purchase.

Had you read my previous post, you would see that you don't need a new phone. Phones as old as a Galaxy S6 or iPhone 6 will run the DJI app just fine and they can be had used for next to nothing. So, you do not need to spend anywhere near another $500, but you seem to have conveniently ignored that fact so you have something to complain about.

The seller and I found the solution that seems to work (which probably would have worked with my old Huawei P9 phone)

In the developer in a P10 or P10 plus, use the following settings:

USB debugging - on;
always promt when connecting… - off;
Allow ADB debugging…- on;
Select USB Configuration - USB Ethernet

So, you put it into your own format and didn't like what you saw? That is ridiculous. On the website, which is all that matters, the font is exactly the same as everything else other than it has further been highlighted in RED for extra visibility. There is no deception. It even has it's own heading in all capital letters. They literally went out of their way to make it more noticeable.

There are approximately 24,000 different Android devices on the market. How on earth do you expect DJI, let alone your salesperson, to know the compatibility of each? They test by far the most common devices first, and then post that list very clearly on their website. Other manufacturers do exactly the same thing, there is no deception there. At some point the customer is accountable, and it's not unreasonable to expect the customer to read the specifications of a drone before purchase.

Had you read my previous post, you would see that you don't need a new phone. Phones as old as a Galaxy S6 or iPhone 6 will run the DJI app just fine and they can be had used for next to nothing. So, you do not need to spend anywhere near another $500, but you seem to have conveniently ignored that fact so you have something to complain about.

No need to be nasty, I was simply saying that I have never had a problem connection with a DJI drone before this new drone ...with any of the many devices that I used, so my experience suggested otherwise.

And, as I have read on other forums, the specifications are very hard for most people to read. Most don't bother to read them, much less from top to bottom (and these notes are on the bottom -page 17 out of 20 pages when in word doc). So an upfront disclosure would help. My seller's support team initially would not help until I bought a DJI approved phone.
And a Galaxy Six is $400 (NZD) here in New Zealand, so I bought a better phone for another $100 NZD. But at any rate we solved the problem. :)

Last edited:
I don't agree DJI went with most common, at least not Android. They list very few tablets. They even skimped with Phantoms, who's mounts favored tablets over phones.

But definitely, just because it isn't listed, support shouldn't jump and say it is incompatible. At best it is inconclusive.

If you are buying a product that relies on a device, it is up to you to be sure your device is compatible. The Android market is so fragmented and with so many models they tend to be more of a hassle to use fringe models. The iOS is a bit easier to decipher. Below is the currently recommended devices for all models of the Mavic series.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 7.31.47 PM✨.png

Reactions: Brit.b
We found a solution for the Huawei phones (P10 and P10 plus, and possibly earlier) that works!

USB debugging - on;
always promt when connecting… - off;
Allow ADB debugging…- on;
Select USB Configuration - USB Ethernet

This thread is similar to what I'm looking for so I'll ask here rather than a new topic, reading through the post I'm not clear if anyone else has had similar issues? I can see that DJI have changed the recommended devices so I'm wondering if anyone has had a previous device that worked great and no longer does?

The reason I ask is that I have a Sony Z Ultra which is running a Note 3 era Snapdragon 800 chipset that is dedicated to my Mavic and has worked well, at the time the DJI software seemed to favour older hardware. The Mavic and Z Ultra are both completely offline and haven't been updated for a while since the combination has been working reliably. It's a great device for the Mavic as the 6.4in screen with large bezels gives the controller room to position the grips and a decent size of screen to work with.

The problem though is that I've picked up a Mavic Pro 2 and will need to use a newer version of the DJI Go software, the Sony does meet the Android 5 requirement but its hardware is quite a bit behind many of the recommended devices. If I want to use the Sony I'll need to update it and update the Mavic Pro so I don't want to do that if it's not worth doing because the Z Ultra isn't good enough to run it. I do have a Note 8 as a phone which is listed as recommended but if the Z Ultra is no use, I'd prefer to keep it for the Mavic and purchase a dedicated device for the Mavic 2.

I just bought the new Mavic Pro. I have had problems with intermittent disconnecting with my app on my phone (Huawei P9) Tablet (Asus Zen) and My wife's phone (Moto G). It initially connected fine, but often would not connect with follow up flights, though it always connected without a hitch with the controller.'

I returned it to the dealer who mailed it back saying that it was incompatible with my phone, tablet and my wife's phone -even though they all worked fine with my previous Mavics (which include insurance replacements after crashes).

They returned my drone and sent a link to the specification page, which (buried in the small print, several scrolls down) is a compatibility list of phones. None of my devices are on it! They say: "Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues."

I just sold my old drone for a song (with many hundred of dollars of accessories). I can’t afford a new phone now, so I’m left with a drone that will not work.

You can get a new Samsung Tab 8" on EBay right now for $150. I use one and it works great

@Brit.b Glad you got it figured out! The DJI approved list for Android is worthless. It covers only the one they have tested. They should make that list a NOT compatible list. It would be much shorter.
Most Androids will work if you have the patience and knowledge to set them up for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs