DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

incompatible with my phone and tablet

Brit.b

Reactions
I just bought the new Mavic Pro. I have had problems with intermittent disconnecting with my app on my phone (Huawei P9) Tablet (Asus Zen) and My wife's phone (Moto G). It initially connected fine, but often would not connect with follow up flights, though it always connected without a hitch with the controller.'

I returned it to the dealer who mailed it back saying that it was incompatible with my phone, tablet and my wife's phone -even though they all worked fine with my previous Mavics (which include insurance replacements after crashes).

They returned my drone and sent a link to the specification page, which (buried in the small print, several scrolls down) is a compatibility list of phones. None of my devices are on it! They say: "Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues."

I just sold my old drone for a song (with many hundred of dollars of accessories). I can’t afford a new phone now, so I’m left with a drone that will not work.

Last edited:
sorry you have a new drone and cant fly it.
try the search bar for your mavic model compatible devices.
always better to get someone's view on what they use rather than a published list that is not always up to date.

makes no sense you bought then sold now you have
Being Grumpy for not researching is a lame excuse for your last sentence.

makes no sense you bought then sold now you have
Being Grumpy for not researching is a lame excuse for your last sentence.

Most people would be grumpy after being similarly "conned", by buying a product under what borders on deception. (Sorry, but calling my rationale "lame" is insulting and puerile.)

When selling a product, the seller should be very clear of such a radical (and expensive) change to their upgrade - in readable print on the first page, not put it in tiny almost imperceptible print several pages into the specifications. This flaw with their new app is unprecedented. I have had 4 DJI drones, and never had a problem with my android phones.

Why would I expect this new upgrade to render my phones and tablet useless with the Mavic 2? Its is possible that their sales violates our Fair Trade Act "Mislead or deceive you by words or conduct. This includes statements in advertising, or any other deceptive conduct in trade."

Last edited:
Not hidden, it's on the spec page of the mavic 2
iOS V4.3.3
Requires iOS 9.0 or above.
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2
Requires Android 5.0 or above.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.

My point is I don't understand why would one (who has bought 4 DJI Drones before now and flown without a hitch using several phone and tablets - not a compatibility issue once!), now have to scroll several pages down on the spec page? It's like one of those lengthy Itunes agreements that no one reads :). Then one may see a barley perceivable small print list on compatible devices. I'd never known in my many years of flying drone with many devices, that this was ever an issue. This serious flaw in the new app should be stated up front in readable fonts so potential buyers who don't scroll through long specs are warned in advance. When purchasing an item, the dealer is obligated to clearly specify extra equipment to allow their product to work. The emphasis is on "clearly".

Last edited:
It's actually not in any fine print - it's right on the Mavic 2 Specifications page (about half way down) and very clear. It's on the same screen as all the manuals and FAQ, which is info everyone should be looking at. In fact, they have gone to the trouble of making the headers in bright red to grab your attention and for extra clarity (nothing else on that whole page is red). The font size is exactly the same as everything else. The font size of the large "APP / LIVE VIEW" heading is also just as big as all the other headings, and written in all capital letters. If you could read anything else on that page, you could read that too.

Buying a used iPhone 6 for next to nothing is going to cost your a heck of a lot less than losing in small claims court, never mind all the time you'd be wasting.

If you were using more mainstream devices, your assumption would have been correct (note all the most common Samsung, Apple, and Google devices up to about 3-4 years old are all supported). Obviously DJI's priority is going to be to support the most popular devices first and go from there.

I understand that you're frustrated because you overlooked something, everyone makes mistakes, but since this one was avoidable by simply reading published specifications (that they have gone out of their way to emphasize), it's not anyone else's fault. It's also not anyone else's fault that you sold your old drone below market and no longer have extra cash to help correct the mistake. You aren't left with a drone that "won't work", it works just fine with any device that it is advertised to work with. Pick up a used iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, or iPad for ~$100 and be done with it. It's not worth the stress or hassle.

Heck, you can buy refurbished full size 2018 iPads for $2XX right now and get a great tablet out of the deal.

I can't imagine a judge even looking at this - it's clearly written on the specifications page, marked in bright red, with an all capital letter heading in exactly the same font as everything else, only more emphasized with color. Just accept your mistake, we all make them, pick up a cheap device and start enjoying your drone.

Last edited:
I just bought the new Mavic Pro. I have had problems with intermittent disconnecting with my app on my phone (Huawei P9) Tablet (Asus Zen) and My wife's phone (Moto G). It initially connected fine, but often would not connect with follow up flights, though it always connected without a hitch with the controller.'

I returned it to the dealer who mailed it back saying that it was incompatible with my phone, tablet and my wife's phone -even though they all worked fine with my previous Mavics (which include insurance replacements after crashes).

They returned my drone and sent a link to the specification page, which (buried in the small print, several scrolls down) is a compatibility list of phones. None of my devices are on it! They say: "Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues."

I just sold my old drone for a song (with many hundred of dollars of accessories). I can’t afford a new phone now, so I’m left with a drone that will not work. This solution is not acceptable.
So, It worked at first, them it stopped......
Sounds like a resource issue in the device, or a questionable cable.
I think you missed something with your device and the drone should have worked without a problem.

So, It worked at first, them it stopped......
Sounds like a resource issue in the device, or a questionable cable.
I think you missed something with your device and the drone should have worked without a problem.
It stopped working on 3 devices. All these devices worked with the original Mavic.

It's actually not in any fine print - it's right on the Mavic 2 Specifications page (about half way down) and very clear. It's on the same screen as all the manuals and FAQ, which is info everyone should be looking at. In fact, they have gone to the trouble of making the headers in bright red to grab your attention and for extra clarity (nothing else on that whole page is red). The font size is exactly the same as everything else. The font size of the large "APP / LIVE VIEW" heading is also just as big as all the other headings, and written in all capital letters. If you could read anything else on that page, you could read that too.

Buying a used iPhone 6 for next to nothing is going to cost your a heck of a lot less than losing in small claims court, never mind all the time you'd be wasting.

If you were using more mainstream devices, your assumption would have been correct (note all the most common Samsung, Apple, and Google devices up to about 3-4 years old are all supported). Obviously DJI's priority is going to be to support the most popular devices first and go from there.

I understand that you're frustrated because you overlooked something, everyone makes mistakes, but since this one was avoidable by simply reading published specifications (that they have gone out of their way to emphasize), it's not anyone else's fault. It's also not anyone else's fault that you sold your old drone below market and no longer have extra cash to help correct the mistake. You aren't left with a drone that "won't work", it works just fine with any device that it is advertised to work with. Pick up a used iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, or iPad for ~$100 and be done with it. It's not worth the stress or hassle.

Heck, you can buy refurbished full size 2018 iPads for $2XX right now and get a great tablet out of the deal.

I can't imagine a judge even looking at this - it's clearly written on the specifications page, marked in bright red, with an all capital letter heading in exactly the same font as everything else, only more emphasized with color. Just accept your mistake, we all make them, pick up a cheap device and start enjoying your drone.

I would not call this a mistake, but deception. I copied and pasted the specifications onto a WORD document. The phone specs were on page 17, of 20 pages all up...in a tiny 9 font! That is not something most people would read.

The seller should make clear on the front page that the app no longer supports the phones and tablets that It once did on the new Mavic and other drones. At the very least the seller should tell the buyer look at the specifications very carefully before buying the product.

A new phone starts at $500 NZD on sale for a P10. If I had known that I need to spend another $500, I would not have bought the product.

Last edited:
It stopped working on 3 devices. All these devices worked with the original Mavic.
I am sorry, I thought you said they worked at first with the NEW mavic THEN quit. Which I have trouble blaming on the aircraft or software.
BUT, it is the same software you downloaded for the old mavic doing the same thing (Reading the remote) so I thought it sounded like an incompatible gas station bought phone cord problem. Or overloaded phone resources.
But since all three never worked on the new mavic I can be no help. MY BAD!
Ther are a LOT of devices not on that list that work fine. I dont think your devices are on the old mavic list either.

Reactions: Brit.b
"Its half a page in same size font with headers in red.
What is the $600 dollar battery you need to operate? "

That was an analogy. Again, I copied and pasted the specifications onto a WORD document. The phone specs were on page 17 of 20 pages ...in tiny 9 font. I suggest that you try this and confirm. This was deception. It's amazing that people on this forum don't get it.

Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI
That was an analogy.

I am sorry, I thought you said they worked at first with the NEW mavic THEN quit. Which I have trouble blaming on the aircraft or software.
BUT, it is the same software you downloaded for the old mavic doing the same thing (Reading the remote) so I thought it sounded like an incompatible gas station bought phone cord problem. Or overloaded phone resources.
But since all three never worked on the new mavic I can be no help. MY BAD!
Ther are a LOT of devices not on that list that work fine. I dont think your devices are on the old mavic list either.

Thanks for you suggestion. I never knew or was told that there was a "list". I have had 2 Mavic drones before this new one and all worked with my android devices (3 drones using 5 different devices all up over the last 4 years). I never had a problem with a connection. It never dawned on me that it might be my phone and that I should shuffle through 20 pages (when copied and pasted into a WORD document)...of 9 font text, to see that some phones did not work. Perhaps I was lucky with the previous drones, but I would say that the app is faulty, and that people should stay away from this DJI drone until they rectify this problem. Sorry, but i think that this is prudent advice.

Last edited:
@Brit.b
From Mavic pro;

APP / LIVE VIEW
  • iOS V4.3.3
    Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
    Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2
    Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

From Mavic pro2;

APP / LIVE VIEW
  • iOS V4.3.3
    Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2

Do you see anything different from mavic pro to Mavic pro@2?
Maybe calm down, give it some thought, and try again?
Maybe its time to quit looking for blame, and start looking for answers? Good luck !

Last edited:
@Brit.b
From Mavic pro;

APP / LIVE VIEW
  • iOS V4.3.3
    Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2

From Mavic pro2;

APP / LIVE VIEW
  • iOS V4.3.3
    Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2

Do you see anything different from Mavic pro to Mavic pro@2?
Maybe calm down, give it some thought, and try again?
Maybe its time to quit looking for blame, and start looking for answers? Good luck !

No problem. I found someone to blame - DJI, and the sellers...those who don't make it clear that the drone does not work with many phones. :) When I bought a Sony camera, they were clear up front (not buried in small print in the specs) that to use 4k, one needed special sd cards. DJI really should be clear as well. If not ultimately liable for misleading the public, it will hurt business in the end.

As mentioned, I have used 5 different phones and tablets over the years - with 4 drones. All worked without a hitch. It never dawned on me (until today) that the Mavic 2 will not work with many phones and tablets. Everything that I read or watched indicated that they worked with all phones and tablets.

That said, I have calmed down. The seller did kindly offer to help me with my current devices to work, but I bit the bullet and bought a new phone on sale (albeit for $500 nzd by cc, which I can't now really afford, and a day of my life trying to get the new phone ready...I hope it works).

Last edited:
Reactions: colinfowler
Are the new mavics (2 pro) (2zoom) not compatible with Samsung galaxy note4 and Samsung Galaxy Note9?
I have the original mavic pro and it works perfectly with Note 4 but haven't tested with Note 9... I was thinking on buying the 2 pro but if it is not working with either phone I better not buy one...
Now that I think of it the Note9 has a type c USB port so I don't bet it will work with an otg adapter from USB type-c to micro USB...

Update: The mavic pro works on Note9 only with an otg USB type c to micro USB adapter. With the USB type c cable it is not working...
Anyone to test the new (ver2) mavics with note 4 and note 9?

Last edited:
OK guys I just deleted the last few post in this and please don't start back up again .
JDawg and Brit.b let this be a friendly warning to stop .

Reactions: Brit.b
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde