Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Indoor at an ice rink?

Paint Rock Drones

Reactions
Has anyone flown indoors at an ice rink? I've read the post about flying indoors, but in addition to the possible GPS issues I'm wondering what happens when the big cooling fans start blowing. Especially with my mini 2 I'm thinking it might get blown out of control.

Gagey52

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. Have never flown in an indoor area, but the mini 2 can handle a fair amount of wind. It would be good fans that could put the mini off it’s game.
Regards

MAvic_South_Oz

Reactions
Adelaide, South Australia, the great southern land
The cooling fans would have to be close, but just watch when flying in front of (or below) them, or simply avoid them in the flight planning.

If the ambient temps are low, keep batteries in your pocket before flight to keep them warm too.

Be prepared to have to fly in ATTI if GPS problems happen.
Depends on the building, but the worst thing is if you have GPS sometimes, and it keeps dropping in and out.

Recreational flight or doing something commercial ?
I suppose you will be doing this with the rinks approval and have a plan if people are involved and / or using the rink.

sarimento1

Reactions
welcome to the forum!
i've never done indoor in a rink, but i think the mini2 can handle it.
bigger issues, getting clear permission from the rink management.
also filming at close range over people, which, as i understand, is a bit of a no-no also without their permission.
you might fare better outdoors, at higher altitude, with nicer surroundings and obviously in the winter!

Meta4

Solutions
Reactions
Have never flown in an indoor area, but the mini 2 can handle a fair amount of wind. It would be good fans that could put the mini off it’s game.
If the roof blocks GPS signals, the drone won't have any horizontal position holding ability and won't be able to resist any wind at all.

Rich QR

Reactions
Indoors, the FAA has no jurisdiction. So recreational vs. commercial doesn't matter. There's no explicit regulation prohibiting flying over people, where the FAA lacks jurisdiction, but at least ordinary tort law holds, so be very careful not to do anything that might cause injury.

You probably won't have GPS. If you lose visual positioning on the ice, you'll go into ATTI mode. Those fans will be a challenge if you're in ATTI mode.

Be very careful.

StantonZ

Reactions
Flying indoors with a drone that is designed to fly outdoors (with a decent GPS signal) is a recipe for disaster. If you really want to fly indoors (especially around people), use a drone that is designed for that environment (e.g. no GPS--and probably very lightweight).

JimSteadman

Reactions
I have done interior flying, albeit without big fans on the ceiling. Make sure your light is good, since you do not have GPS inside. Fly low until you have the hang of it. You might consider using your propeller guards until you get the hang of it. Do not take your eyes off your drone - they can be unpredictable. Be prepared to do a hand capture if necessary, as they will sometimes get erratic. Good luck.

Zbip57

Reactions
Has anyone flown indoors at an ice rink? [...] I'm wondering what happens when the big cooling fans start blowing.
Big cooling fans? Huh? Say what?

The ice surface is usually cooled by pipes embedded in the concrete below the ice, no? And, yes, the refrigeration plant that provides the coolant flow may have large cooling fans, but those usually exhaust to the outside of the building, no?

And what's the big deal about flying a Mini 2 indoors? Assuming the GPS signal may be blocked (which is not always the case), the Mini still has its Visual Positioning Sensor system which works up to a height of 10m (~30ft). And even if the VPS fails due to insufficient lighting (unlikely in a sports arena) or insufficient surface detail for the VPS camera to fix on, it just means the drone defaults to ATTI mode.

That doesn't mean it stops flying. It only means it won't automatically stop and hold a fixed position in hover when the control sticks are centred. It will drift freely, but you still have full control of the joysticks to move the drone to where ever you want.

Practice flying ATTI mode in an underground parking garage, or your basement, where the GPS signal is reliably blocked. Cover the camera lens of the VPS sensor with a piece of tape (not on the two infrared height sensors). That should force the Mini into ATTI mode. Go slow and use only small stick inputs until you get the hang of it.

buddb55

Reactions
I've flown several times inside a steel building that is a maintenance building for a golf course. Flying ATTI mode with no problems. Just careful on the sticks.

xedder

Reactions
I have flown inside a curling rink with a mavic 2 pro. No problems at all . Had to watch out for banners hanging from the roof which blew around from the prop wash though. Dress warm as well. DJI_0170.JPG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 2 Case

DJI Drone Deals

1. Mavic Mini (renewed) - $309
2. Mini 2 - $449
3. Air 2 (renewed) - $699
4. Air 2s - $999
5. FPV Combo - $1299
6. Mavic 2 Zoom - $1349
7. Mavic 2 Pro - $1599

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads