DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor piloting

D3D

Reactions
I recently purchased a Mavic 2 pro for the purpose of using it for an indoor photography still life project. I am starting with zero knowledge and so will get some practice out of doors but eventually the goal is to bring it into a studio space inside a warehouse. The warehouse has 12 ft ceilings and the room I will be shooting in is large, but there is quite a bit of metal and so I understand that might cause problems with GPS. What I would like advice on is the best way to have the Mavic pan past the still life while keeping the camera pointed at a single object. A second variant would be to have the camera arc around the still life while pointed at the object. This is my first concern.

Second concern involves methods for drawing out vector paths in something like Adobe Illustrator or Sketchup and importing them as a flight path. Curious if third party apps offer any advantage over DGI stuff.

Excited to enter the world of droning and appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I recently purchased a Mavic 2 pro for the purpose of using it for an indoor photography still life project. I am starting with zero knowledge and so will get some practice out of doors but eventually the goal is to bring it into a studio space inside a warehouse. The warehouse has 12 ft ceilings and the room I will be shooting in is large, but there is quite a bit of metal and so I understand that might cause problems with GPS. What I would like advice on is the best way to have the Mavic pan past the still life while keeping the camera pointed at a single object. A second variant would be to have the camera arc around the still life while pointed at the object. This is my first concern.

Second concern involves methods for drawing out vector paths in something like Adobe Illustrator or Sketchup and importing them as a flight path. Curious if third party apps offer any advantage over DGI stuff.

an interesting idea,but a drone is really more suited for getting images from an elevated perspective,there would be many issues around safety,flying in such confined conditions, surely a good camera on a hand held gimbal would be a safer proposition

Reactions: Flycaster
There are reasons for this approach. Without an answer I will just figure it out myself, but that would be too bad since I am sure I could benefit from those with experience.

Reactions: old man mavic
There are reasons for this approach. Without an answer I will just figure it out myself, but that would be too bad since I am sure I could benefit from those with experience.
no problem anyway welcome to the forum

We

Welcome to multirotors and the forum.

Your biggest obstacle may be that GPS indoors is non exsistent or shotty at best. Any automated flying may be out of the question.
If you search "indoor flying" here, there are many posts about it complete with tips.

Correct. The drone cannot fly to a designated point in space without some way of knowing where that point is. Without GPS reference all it can do is look around for obstacles in its path and avoid them. The downward photo sensors do provode the ability to scan the terrain below and maintain a stable position when you let go of the controls, but that's about all the help you'll get.

Unless you already have considerable experience, I my advice is to be VERY timid on your first flights and expand the envelope gradually. It's easy to get turned around, and surprises can come up very quickly. It takes hours of flight time to get an intuitive grasp so you can fly the drone like you drive your car. Flying indoors close to structures and objects is a high risk endeavor.

First find out if you have good GPS reception inside the warehouse. Without it, the shots you plan will require a great deal of practice and skill.

Understood, I plan to get to a level of proficiency before moving to more difficult piloting situations. So if you are indoors using ATTI mode, you are controlling the movement with the joysticks - can you still use active track to keep the camera focused on a single object?

I'm sure someone will chime in with a positive answer but I think Active Track moves the drone and not the camera.

one very important thing to remember is in ATTI mode there will be no active braking when the sticks are centered ,and i believe the auto functions all require GPS to function

Reactions: Flycaster
Probably the best answer is to try it yourself OUTSIDE in an open area. Mock up your project with wands or pylons then put the bird in ATTI mode and give it a go. I think you'll be impressed how difficult it is to fly a precision course without GPS support. I fly my drone occasionally in ATTI mode to be prepared just in case. Flying straight line back home isn't a big deal if you've done it before, but flying an obstacle course in ATTI would be an impressive feat. In my HUMBLE opinion.

I suppose any 3D drone race pilots out there are having quite a chuckle by now - my hat's off, I have no idea how they do it.

Reactions: NeilHK

Just how does one "switch" a Mavic II to ATTI mode outdoors?
Like the Mavic I, The "Foil" switch?
The only time it will go into ATTI mode is if no GPS signal, as in indoors, corrrect?
I think the only option is "Tripod" mode, but even that may be iffy...
This will be interesting...

Hi,

There are special systems for navigating indoors, UWB (precise ±30cm, very expensive), ibeacons (precise ±50cm, cheap) ultrasonic (precise ±2cm, cheap)

I have detailed information only about ultrasonic navigations.

Ultrasonic system has some limitations (unobstructed sight by a mobile beacon of 2 or more stationary beacons simultaneously, like in GPS)

The undoubted advantage of the system is the very light weight of the mobile beacon (< 10 gramm), ease of deployment and low cost of the system.

It can be integrated with Ardupilot for example.

Format of signal absolutely the same like GPS - NMEA0183.

If you need more details - please contact me directly.

I can share with you any infor and special coupon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7