DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoor skate park flying

andcam

Reactions
I have the opportunity to do some indoor drone filming with my kids in a pretty large indoor skate park (using a Mavic Air 1). The initial question that occurred to me was whether an ND filter would be appropriate, as it's quite well lit in the park, but having now browsed other posts in the forum about indoor flying, it looks like I have a few other things to worry about too! (assuming I don't get a GPS signal indoors)

Having said that, does anyone have a view on whether an ND filter might be appropriate for well-lit indoor flying in general? Also, do the Intelligent Flight Modes work without a GPS signal i.e. if I were to Active Track one of my boys as they skate the length of the park?

And apologies, i know this follow-up question is specific to my drone model, but if the park is lit well enough, are the downward facing sensors likely to help with position keeping in the absence of GPS on my Mavic Air 1? Or will I likely find myself in full ATTI mode?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

How long have you been flying your Air?
It's probably doable but could be pretty dangerous if things go wrong.
You'll definitely want your prop guards installed but you'd be better off with cages.
You should expect to have intermittent gps at best so you need to be prepared to fly in attitude mode. The VPS should help if it's bright enough but the floor will also need some contrasting details for the sensors to work (a plain concrete floor might not work). You also need to worry about the venue's WiFi interfering with your signals.
You best bet would be to try it first when the space is empty and see what happens. You should also probably practice some subject tracking with skaters outside in a parking lot to get used to the movements it a safe practice area. Just understand how powerful the Air 1 is and how quickly things can go wrong. It's one thing if you hit your own kids but if there's others imagine the conversation you'll be having with those parents and how that will reflect on the rest of us pilots- be safe!
As far as ND filters you'd only need them to control the light when shooting video so you can adjust your shutter speed correctly.
Check the link below, it should help explain

Maybe the best way would be to think about this as a project that you can work on a one step at a time. You could one by one work out the logistics and safety issues and post your videos here as you work though the process.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Reactions: Howard70
You probably won't want an ND filter. Bright indoor light is like 300 ft candles. Outdoor on a cloudy, dreary day is like 3 million ft candles.

I use to roller skate back in the '60s. The best floor was wood. As cement floor with plastic resin has rebar in the cement so it will not crack. Just be careful of the kids & your drone.

NO bruises when falling on wood. Many sprains & bruises on cement.

Reactions: MA2 317
Sorry, can"t encourage flying around people, kids, too dangerous if something goes wrong, I have 5 grand children, and never fly over them, or close to them.Its illigal
for one thing. Its a violation of 14 CFR 107.39. Recreational pilots should not be flying over people or moving vehicles. Only drones equipped with a parachute, and have commercial pilots licence. Please correct me if I am misinformed.

Sorry, can"t encourage flying around people, kids, too dangerous if something goes wrong, I have 5 grand children, and never fly over them, or close to them.Its illigal
for one thing. Its a violation of 14 CFR 107.39. Recreational pilots should not be flying over people or moving vehicles. Only drones equipped with a parachute, and have commercial pilots licence. Please correct me if I am misinformed.

The FAA doesn't regulate flying indoors. You would only be subject to state law regarding reckless conduct, etc.

Reactions: Mrmund

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998