DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Indoors Crash......

iamSteve

Reactions
...... not your everyday front room crash.

I was shooting some video in a large industrial workshop, I was expecting to fly 'manually' but unexpectedly I had a GPS signal. At first I was required to calibrate the compass, when I took it outside to do away from interference it said it was not required, but I did it anyway.

At first all went well then I noticed it drifting, I dropped it out of tripod mode to sport and set it back on course, then landed. I then took off again and used tripod mode, after a time it started to drift again, I flicked the switch into sport mode but this just appeared to throw the Mavic at the wall faster.

It was not high and landed on a workbench after folding its arms in and throwing one of the prop blades off, so no damage. What I want to know for the future is what happened.

I have the flight information on Airdata and I have downloaded some .dat files from the Mavic. I have noticed on one of the 3 flights shown on Airdata the home point was in the wrong location and shows that the drone flew through a wall (from outside to inside and not the inner wall I hit).

Any help?

I was doing a shoot inside a sports bar with a P3 where there were dozens of big screen TV's on the walls. and when I powered up it wouldn't take off because it had compass interference and needed a calibration, only thing was it wouldn't pass or calibrate inside the bar. I knew that if it had a good gps signal and lost it that it would go into the mode where the visual positioning sensors take over. My fix was to launch outside in the parking lot and then fly it in through the doors. It lost gps inside but flew fine. The mavic is better suited to indoor flight but I'm not sure the advanced flight modes work without a good gps signal so tripod mode which is useful indoors may not work.

Reactions: Anthonyk
For indoor flight, you'd really want to make sure the floor is well lit and non-uniform so that the VPS can work effectively. When it works, it's usually able to keep the Mavic incredibly stable. If you were getting drifting, it sounds like the conditions were sub-optimal for the VPS system.

Compass interference could also have been a factor. If you look at your flight playback, does the compass heading of the aircraft icon match the actual heading of the aircraft during the flight?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spludge