DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Initial Zoom Factor on Map View?

cmusciano

Reactions
New Mavic Pro owner here, with three whole beginner flights under my belt, and lots of anticipation for many more...

When I start flying with the DJI app (on a Pixel XL, if that matters), the "map view" in the lower left corner of the display is always zoomed out to show the entire world. I have to tap that view to make it full screen, zoom in multiple times to see the actual area I am in, and then tap again to return to the camera view.

Is there a way to set the initial zoom to be closer to my local environment? Is this the "normal" behavior or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for the help. Reading all the posts in this forum has given me great confidence as I learn to fly my new Mavic!

Location Serivces should be turned on so that the Android phone can determine your location. You should be connected to an internet connection so that the location data can be pulled in for the area that you are flying in and then displayed on the map.
If you will not have cell service in the area you plan to fly you can also cache the map for the area that you plan to fly in advance by opening the area in the Maps application (Not DJIGO4) on the phone and then zooming in and out once. This will pull in that map data and keep it on the device as cached data.

Have you downloaded the offline map for your area? Here is a quick video showing how:

Location Serivces should be turned on so that the Android phone can determine your location. You should be connected to an internet connection so that the location data can be pulled in for the area that you are flying in and then displayed on the map.
If you will not have cell service in the area you plan to fly you can also cache the map for the area that you plan to fly in advance by opening the area in the Maps application (Not DJIGO4) on the phone and then zooming in and out once. This will pull in that map data and keep it on the device as cached data.

I do have offline maps downloaded for Google Maps, I do have location services turned on, and have a connection to the internet. It isn't that the maps don't show up (they do), it's that the initial zoom factor is to set to "see entire hemisphere" when the app starts up.

I am using 4.1.15 and will check it again this evening. When 4.1.18 came out the maps were gone so perhaps something happened with your version.

Well, talk about responsiveness! This appears to be fixed in the version released today, 4.2.4.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980