DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Inspire to Mavic Pro regrets?

Mtrent345

Reactions
Let me start by saying I am still a new pilot. My son has a phantom 3, I wanted my own and got a killer deal on an Inspire 1. I have had it for 6 months, it flies great, takes great pics and video. It is just too big for me. I go off-road a lot and like to take it with me for videos and pics, I just don’t have the room.
I am thinking about trading it for a Mavic Pro and some cash. Has anybody gone from an Inspire 1 to a Mavic and regretted it. I only use it for fun and never plan on doing anything professional with it. I have never flown a Mavic Pro, the only other drone I have flown is the Phantom 3. The phantom was a bit more squirrelly than my Inspire, I could get used to that if I had the portability and the ease of launching without having to attach everything to it first.

I sold my Inspire 1 for the M2P, best thing I ever did. The size of the mavic sold it for me, much more manageable for travelling, taking out in the field to fly etc. Takes great photos/videos, it’s a little diamond;)

Love the thing to bits;);)

Are you talking about an m1 or m2 series?
I had an inspire 1 and was totally disappointed. Red hue in all the pictures, not as stable as I thought it should be, and too big.
The mp2 Pro is all you would need.

Reactions: Porky
Are you talking about an m1 or m2 series?
I had an inspire 1 and was totally disappointed. Red hue in all the pictures, not as stable as I thought it should be, and too big.
The mp2 Pro is all you would need.
The Mavic 2 is out of my price range right now. One kid in college and another going next year. I’m on a budget so it’s going to be a Mavic 1 Pro

Reactions: Porky
Let me start by saying I am still a new pilot. My son has a phantom 3, I wanted my own and got a killer deal on an Inspire 1. I have had it for 6 months, it flies great, takes great pics and video. It is just too big for me. I go off-road a lot and like to take it with me for videos and pics, I just don’t have the room.
I am thinking about trading it for a Mavic Pro and some cash. Has anybody gone from an Inspire 1 to a Mavic and regretted it. I only use it for fun and never plan on doing anything professional with it. I have never flown a Mavic Pro, the only other drone I have flown is the Phantom 3. The phantom was a bit more squirrelly than my Inspire, I could get used to that if I had the portability and the ease of launching without having to attach everything to it first.

I don't know which camera you have on that Inspire 1, but I don't recommend doing it. The Mavic is better than the Inspire 1 in every possible way, except the dang camera. If you don't edit your pictures and don't really care that much about quality, get a Mavic. But the Mavic's camera is limited. It's basically a smartphone camera with its tiny 1/2.3 sensor.

I've found myself to be deleting 90% of my Mavic pictures, because they look like ****. I only keep a few of them. You can get great pictures under the right circumstances, but the Inspire 1's camera is heaps better.

As stated above the camera on the Inspire is superior. If you are willing to sacrifice some image quality for portability then its a good choice. You can pickup a great used Mavic Pro with low hours in the Classified section here with accessories.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
I don't know which camera you have on that Inspire 1, but I don't recommend doing it. The Mavic is better than the Inspire 1 in every possible way, except the dang camera. If you don't edit your pictures and don't really care that much about quality, get a Mavic. But the Mavic's camera is limited. It's basically a smartphone camera with its tiny 1/2.3 sensor.

I've found myself to be deleting 90% of my Mavic pictures, because they look like ****. I only keep a few of them. You can get great pictures under the right circumstances, but the Inspire 1's camera is heaps better.

I only have the x3.

OP, you said it's just for fun. If it's just for fun, go with the Mavic Pro. New and used ones start at $600.

Hauling around an Inspire for fun is not fun at all. The Mavic will fit in a shaving kit bag, instead of a steamer trunk.
No kidding! That i1 with the X3 is long forgotten for traveling. I can just about fit the MavicP2 in my tackle box!

Have you made your mind up? I hope the above posts helped in some way with your decision. Let us know;)

I’ve flown the inspire 1, 2, P3, P4, Mp, MP2 pro. I am a picky photographer and the MP simply doesn’t cut it for photos. Not bad for video but awful for photos.

If it was as good as my iphone 8 plus, I’d be happy but it isn’t.

If video is your thing, you might be okay with it but for photos, especially in low light, it doesn’t cut it.

As far as flight characteristics, the MP is superior to either inspire IMHO. the MP 2 Pro is awesome for photos and pretty good for video. It is not anywhere near as good as the x7 camera though, but flight characteristics and portability make up for much of the difference.

I own the Inspire 2 and recently purchased the M2P and I thought about (for now anyway) getting rid of the I2 but I’ll hang onto it because that x5s camera shoots amazing video and pictures. And the ability to change lenses is a great reason for hanging onto it as well. Getting ready to take my Part 107 certification test and then I’ll need that Inspire 2 for any jobs available for me in the future. Yes the Inspire is a pain to pack around but it has its place so for now I’ll keep it in my stable until I see that I don’t need it anymore.
And I like the stability that the Inspire provides in high winds that the smaller M2P doesn’t provide. Plus it simply has a soft spot in my heart.
As for flight characteristics I have flown the Phantoms, MAir, MP1, Platinum and my Inspires and I personally prefer the heftiness of the Inspire series over all the smaller/lighter drones. It allows me to get smoother, more cinematic videos because it’s not so jerky as the smaller ones. And possibly in the future I might be able to afford that amazing X7 camera, and that would be a game changer.
And once again I go back to the ability to change lenses and that’s my 2 cents worth! :)

Last edited:
After getting my Mavic 2 pro I found that I was using my inspire 2 less and less. The Mavic 2 Pro camera was a very big improvement over the Mavic 1. I'm using a Nikon D850 for my land camera and consider myself somewhat fanatical on image quality. I recently sold my inspire 2 and have not regretted it. The camera on the Mavic 2 pro does nearly everything I need and the Inspire 2 was so bulky that I did not think the advantages it had for video and stills was worth the effort of taking it with me. I have 16x24 inch photos from the Mavic 2 Pro printed on metal that people love for the detail and the views from the air. Also the thought of crashing an expensive Inspire 2 into one of the canyons I fly over spoiled my fun. The loss of a Mavic is not nearly as worrisome so I fly with fewer white knuckles Another factor in my decision was the lack of paying opportunities in my rural area even though I had a Part 107.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Well if its portability get the Mavic Air. You said it a fun thing and your never going Pro.Mav Air takes good video and Pictures has a pretty good range and flight time , but hey you can pak it and four batteries extra props in a motorcycle saddle bag

I have a Mavic Pro 1. Bought Mavic 2 and will not bneed it. Comes with everything. @ extra batteries, 2 sets legs, prop protectors, lens filters, nice case, and more.

I’ve flown the inspire 1, 2, P3, P4, Mp, MP2 pro. I am a picky photographer and the MP simply doesn’t cut it for photos. Not bad for video but awful for photos.

If it was as good as my iphone 8 plus, I’d be happy but it isn’t.

If video is your thing, you might be okay with it but for photos, especially in low light, it doesn’t cut it.

As far as flight characteristics, the MP is superior to either inspire IMHO. the MP 2 Pro is awesome for photos and pretty good for video. It is not anywhere near as good as the x7 camera though, but flight characteristics and portability make up for much of the difference.

The some $6-7000 difference in price is a factor for some people as well :D

Reactions: SteveCA
I've had an Inspire 2 for two years. Nine months ago I bought a Mavic Pro Platinum. I've now surpassed my Inspire flight hours with my Mavic and I have only flown my Inspire once since buying the Mavic. I love having both and it's always good to have backup equipment but I don't think you'll cry a single tear. I did a video test here a number of months ago that compared the Mavic's camera to the Inspire's X4S and there was no discernable difference in quality. You'll enjoy the portability of the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54