DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insta360- New Drone with 360 camera and one inch camera sensor to be announced January 7th?

Shon

Reactions
360 camera?
One inch camera sensor?
Waterproof?
Drone?

Reactions: Thomas B and Shon
2020 is shaping up to be an exciting year.

I'm really interested to see what they come up with. Seems like false advertising to claim it will somehow replace a drone, unless there is a modular approach that does exactly that...

The insta360 One X is a great camera for what it does, but it certainly doesn't replace an action camera or my drone. If they add a once inch sensor and 8k resolution... it might seriously start to compete!

Guess we won't have long to wait before we find out the actual specs!

LOL! That is quite a blender they got there :D Best teaser I have seen in 2020 :). OK, jokes aside - I am honestly excited about this but how are they going to mount the camera such that it has a full, unobstructed 360° view?

Reactions: Shon
LOL! That is quite a blender they got there :D Best teaser I have seen in 2020 :). OK, jokes aside - I am honestly excited about this but how are they going to mount the camera such that it has a full, unobstructed 360° view?
They probably remove the the drone from the video through processing, much the same way they currently remove the "invisible" selfie stick mount on the Insta360 One X.

They probably remove the the drone from the video through processing, much the same way they currently remove the "invisible" selfie stick mount on the Insta360 One X.

That would be a pretty nifty trick!

Well...NOT A DRONE! and it definitely doesn't replace one either! That's not to say it won't be a good substitute, I've gotten some awesome shots with my Insta 360 One X

Apparently...if you look at this Video...there is a "Drone Module" see 4:30 Mark:

On their website, you can purchase the "Areal" addition for the Mavic Pro or the Mavic 2. $549

Since the body is the same, I'm sure it fits on both. That said...if you only have the Pro or the Mavic 2 Zoom...this now gives you the option of now having a mounted camera with a one inch sensor.

I'm interested to see how much control you will have over the camera in flight. Will you be able to switch between photos and videos, will you be able to adjust ISO settings or fine tune other camera settings?

I would guess you'd be able to link to the camera remotely over wifi and configure it as well as set it recording similar to current action cameras although I wouldn't fancy doing that mid-flight unless you had a separate device to the one being used to fly the drone.

I would guess you'd be able to link to the camera remotely over wifi and configure it as well as set it recording similar to current action cameras although I wouldn't fancy doing that mid-flight unless you had a separate device to the one being used to fly the drone.

I agree... I can't imagine how well that would work, given that connecting the camera remotely over wifi will typically only work in very short range.

It could be like the old days with the P1 and P2, just turn the camera on at the start, and hope for the best. At least with a 360 camera you could reframe the shot as needed, and with a camera already on your drone that you could see through the controller, it would take much of the guess work out of it.

I agree... I can't imagine how well that would work, given that connecting the camera remotely over wifi will typically only work in very short range.

It could be like the old days with the P1 and P2, just turn the camera on at the start, and hope for the best. At least with a 360 camera you could reframe the shot as needed, and with a camera already on your drone that you could see through the controller, it would take much of the guess work out of it.

That would certainly be my approach as I'd want to be focused on controlling the drone and you're right that the 360 degree shot isn't going to need any framing.

It is a cool idea although I've never been pleased with the 360 camera I've tried, it burns through battery and storage space and I've never managed to get good quality from it. Which is a shame as the software stabilisation is absolutely incredible and it's much simpler than a gimbal but I've given up and gone back to standard cameras.

That would certainly be my approach as I'd want to be focused on controlling the drone and you're right that the 360 degree shot isn't going to need any framing.

It is a cool idea although I've never been pleased with the 360 camera I've tried, it burns through battery and storage space and I've never managed to get good quality from it. Which is a shame as the software stabilisation is absolutely incredible and it's much simpler than a gimbal but I've given up and gone back to standard cameras.

Yeah...I can't disagree. The quality is quite lacking in comparison with regular action cameras. Even downscaling my videos to 1080p, the difference is quite noticeable.

One thing it has allowed for is some faux drone footage and shots that I normally couldn't get filming myself. I uploaded an example on Youtube (See 28 second mark to about 2 minute mark for some great examples and again at the 7:20 Mark for additional examples). There are other examples throughout the video, but the difference between the Hero 8, insta 360, and DJI Mavic Mini footage is very noticeable to me.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rsantangelo