DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insufficient storage? Whaaat?

KenG

Reactions
I went out this morning to fly a few hyperlapse waypoint videos with my new Air 3. I flew and screen recorded the first video. When I went to fly the second after installing a fresh battery, the screen said insufficient memory reduce video length. I was trying to select a 10 second length as I had just flown but had to reduce down to 6 second length to satisfy the warning.

Someone help me understand what needs to be done please. i am trying to screen record while doing the hyperlapse waypoint vids. When I tap the 3 dots and go to camera, it shows I have the SD card selected and 794 MB/57.9 GB so appears to be plenty of storage there. It also shows internal storage, which is not selected. to be 8.0/8.0 available so I don't see the problem there.

In the event it has to do with the storage on the controller because I am screen recording, when I swipe down twice on the screen of the RC 2 and select storage, It shows internal storage 21.19 GB used of 32 available and portable storage 3.66 GB used of 62.22 GB.

I'm recording in 4K RAW. I spoke with someone at DJI who told me I needed to switch to a 128G card instead of the 64 GB card I am using but I just can't believe that is the problem.

What could my problem be?

Thanks,
Ken

I have never run into this situation. I always use at least 256 G SD Card in all my drones (unless capacity limits are different)

I went out this morning to fly a few hyperlapse waypoint videos with my new Air 3. I flew and screen recorded the first video. When I went to fly the second after installing a fresh battery, the screen said insufficient memory reduce video length. I was trying to select a 10 second length as I had just flown but had to reduce down to 6 second length to satisfy the warning.

Someone help me understand what needs to be done please. i am trying to screen record while doing the hyperlapse waypoint vids. When I tap the 3 dots and go to camera, it shows I have the SD card selected and 794 MB/57.9 GB so appears to be plenty of storage there. It also shows internal storage, which is not selected. to be 8.0/8.0 available so I don't see the problem there.

In the event it has to do with the storage on the controller because I am screen recording, when I swipe down twice on the screen of the RC 2 and select storage, It shows internal storage 21.19 GB used of 32 available and portable storage 3.66 GB used of 62.22 GB.

I'm recording in 4K RAW. I spoke with someone at DJI who told me I needed to switch to a 128G card instead of the 64 GB card I am using but I just can't believe that is the problem.

Thanks,
Ken
What is the specific message that appeared?

This sounds like a memory problem (per the error message you reported) rather than a storage problem. You seem to have no storage issues. I suspect that the DJI rep's response was just a wild guess.

Was the second hyperlapse you attempted set to the same resolution, duration, interval, ... as the first one? That is, was it attempting to juggle more data than the first?

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
Is it not possible that the hyperlapse requires more than 794MB ? I wouldn't think so but don't to much in the way of hyperlapses...

Reactions: Cafguy and GFields
20 min of 4K Video is about 12GB.
1 RAW Photo 48MP is 95MB x 3xx photos for a big Hyperlapse could be 30GB
So you can calculate.
Format the SD with DJI Fly & retry...

Reactions: Cafguy
One of today's hyperlapses was 11GB for the images and 328 for the movie so...yeah...they can take up some gigs. I shot about 28 GB of hyperlapse clouds over 4 videos.

Reactions: Patrick.

Thanks,
Ken
I do a lot of hyper lapses , using RAW as my file selection. My usual hyperlapse is about 300 RAW images. (at 25 frames per second=300 divided by 25=12 second video. I have always used a 128GB SD card and never have had a memory notification.

microSD cards are so cheap today, it makes sense to use the biggest one your drone can take, and/or to have multiple cards to swap with battery changes as an insurance against lost footage in case of a card corruption.

What is the specific message that appeared?

This sounds like a memory problem (per the error message you reported) rather than a storage problem. You seem to have no storage issues. I suspect that the DJI rep's response was just a wild guess.

Was the second hyperlapse you attempted set to the same resolution, duration, interval, ... as the first one? That is, was it attempting to juggle more data than the first?
After spending a few hours wrestling with the device to get the screen recording, the actual message was " insufficient storage. Unable to start hyperlapse." My apologies for using the wrong wording and then asking for help. I have flown approximately 30 hyper lapses in the last six months and most are 10 seconds or less. I generally move the work to the computer after no more than 3 or 4 flights but have just recently started screen recording so figured that must have something to do with it as I have not gotten this message before.

In my stubbornness this morning I removed all screen recordings from the internal memory. In searching other youtube vids I read all screen recordings go to internal memory by default even if you select external storage. Well, I went out this morning and received the same insufficient storage message. I switched cards in the aircraft, formatted and the problem went away.

This hobby is going to kill me. The more I learn, the less I know. Thanks to everyone for their input. I got it etched on my brain now. When it says insufficient storage space, change da card. Or use a larger one.

When it says insufficient storage space, change da card. Or use a larger one.

Or just reformat the SD card in the drone, having offloaded images and videos beforehand, and then fly.

Reactions: jephoto
I do a lot of hyper lapses , using RAW as my file selection. My usual hyperlapse is about 300 RAW images. (at 25 frames per second=300 divided by 25=12 second video. I have always used a 128GB SD card and never have had a memory notification.
Hey Dale.
You don’t find only being able to do 1frame every 5 sec for RAW a problem for Hyperlapse?
What are your typical settings for everything? And flight speed?
Love to see some samples of what you’ve done.
Thx.

I switched cards in the aircraft, formatted and the problem went away.

This hobby is going to kill me. The more I learn, the less I know. Thanks to everyone for their input. I got it etched on my brain now. When it says insufficient storage space, change da card. Or use a larger one.
once you download photos to your computer, always try to Format the card & start fresh.
Healthier for the card as well as maximizes the available space for the new shoot.

I also find it less confusing when I go to download the new photos, not having previous days shooting still on the card. ….

Reactions: rickmurray1989
20 min of 4K Video is about 12GB.
1 RAW Photo 48MP is 95MB x 3xx photos for a big Hyperlapse could be 30GB
So you can calculate.
Format the SD with DJI Fly & retry...
You can’t take 48MP hyperlapses using the Air 3. You need to do a manual interval shooting (minimum interval is 5 seconds for 48MP photos) and then create 48MP hyperlapses manually via dedicated software.
The hyperlapse mode in the Air 3 can only take 12MP RAWs/JPEGs.

That said, RAW hyperlapse sequence folders can indeed still be tens of GBs. I’ve taken numerous 30 second (750 frame) hyperlapse which made their folders be 15GB each.

Hey Dale.
You don’t find only being able to do 1frame every 5 sec for RAW a problem for Hyperlapse?
What are your typical settings for everything? And flight speed?
Love to see some samples of what you’ve done.
Thx.
I can take hyperlapses with intervals as short as 2 seconds as that is the shortest interval for 12MP mode and only 12MP mode is available when in hyperlapse mode on the Air 3.

I can take hyperlapses with intervals as short as 2 seconds as that is the shortest interval for 12MP mode and only 12MP mode is available when in hyperlapse mode on the Air 3.
I can do 2 sec intervals for JPGs only in M3/M3 Pro. 5 sec for raw apparently is the best I can do.
Although I think the M3 pro cine versions might be able to do a shorter interval.
I might be able to do shorter intervals if I take them manually. I’m going to test that soon. It won’t be great for a smooth video but for some traffic streaming shots I want to do that might work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan