DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance: Is it or is it not a requirement?

TDWright

Reactions
Hi all. First Post. Be gentle.

I have a bit of unique circumstance that makes me ask the question about insurance.

Personally, I have an SFOC and liability insurance and will keep it after I get the Advanced Pilot Certificate.

At work though, it's a different story. I am a Public Affairs Officer in the Canadian Armed Forces. I'm working to bring an aerial imagery capability to my base's Imagery Section.

I have loaded my Image Techs on a reputable training course. Once complete, the Techs will take the Advanced Certificate Exam and do the flight review.

However, the CAF does not carry liability insurance (it's cheaper for the federal government to pay claims than it is to carry insurance and pay premiums).

It would be great if during this process, there wasn't a box to check verifying insurance (as with the SFOC) because I'm pretty sure the CAF has not had the conversation with TC to explain that we are our own insurance (when it comes to RPAS).

I've scoured the TC website (and this forum) and have only found a recommendation to have insurance. Honestly, I find this surprising for advanced operations near/over people and a little too good to be true for my particular case.

If anyone has the answer, one way or the other, I'd love to hear it.

Shameless plug: This is the kind of stuff we are doing:
Shot with a Mavic 2 Pro. I'm not happy with the slide show portion. Should have done a Ken Burns effect.

Cheers,
Tony

Hi Tony,

I just went to a reputable Drone school that’s one of the first to be certified from Transport Canada it’s called Aerobotika out of Vancouver BC. When I was taking my ground schools as one of the requirements for the current regulations they were also discussing the upcoming changes for June 1st. The owner of the schools was saying to us that insurance will no longer be mandatory like it’s the case now but you can decide to purchase it if you think you definitely need it. So in your case I would say you are good as the big boss will take care of any claims! [emoji106]
On another note I never wrote or applied for an SFOC where and how did you get yours? Mind helping a fellow droner?

Btw love the video you did!

Costa

Hi Costa,

Thanks for your answer. Sounds like good news for me.

It's funny you mention Aerobotika. The SFOC application I made was based on a template from them (attached).

Once I had done a fair amount of editing, I submitted an application for a site specific SFOC (one time shot) to TC because, reading the website, it says you have to complete a number of site specific SFOCs before TC will consider giving you a blanket SFOC.

Well, that was not my experience.

After submitting the application, I got a call from TC because they wanted to verify a couple of things with regards to insurance. Then the conversation went kind of like this:

TC: So you're going to want to fly another time after this right?

Me: Yup.

TC: Well how about we make this SFOC good until 31 May. After that you have to get a certificate under the new rules.

Me: Ok.

TC: And you're going to be flying in BC right? Why don't we make this for all of BC? Not just for the site you are asking for?

Me: Ok.

TC: So then, because it's all of BC, let's make it for C,D,G, and E airspace. That ok?

Me: Yup.

And then I got off of the phone as fast as I could before this guy changed his mind!

So if you want to apply for an SFOC, you need to submit the TC form (attached), the additional pages with your SOPs (template attached), a copy of your insurance, and proof of your training to the regional Civil Aviation Regional Office (Civil Aviation Regional Offices - Transport Canada).

Here's the TC Site for reference: Applying for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (current rules) - Transport Canada

With only a little over a month left under the old rules, I don't know if they will issue you an SFOC. There are still circumstances under which you have to have an SFOC (flying over an advertised event) so maybe this will be good in your back pocket.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tony

Attachments

• Aerobotika SFOC Template.pdf
    310.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 26-0835_1903-03_E_X.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics