DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance Query

• Thread starter Deleted member 16891
  • Start date
Take a look at backmeup.co.uk - I was going to go that route (along with FPVUK ) until I decided on switching house insurance to Aviva.

I specifically asked the question on the backmeup forums regarding fly-aways / loss and eventually got an answer that you would be covered for user error.

Reactions: litenheat
Thanks both!! I'd never heard of BackMeUp - that's brilliant! Seems like an excellent stopgap until my home insurance is up for renewal - thank you so much!! Although it's a fair point it can trash renewal prices if I have to claim.. although that said, I think you have to declare any claims on any insurance anywhere at renewal time anyway.

I've had my drone a few weeks now, taken it out "in anger" (not counting very low level garden testing, got a fairly big garden at least!) only a couple of times as I'm terrified in case it disappears! I've not gone much beyond the range of Beginner mode until I'm a lot more confident and I've been trying to learn as much as I can between flights. I did order one of the Getterback floats last week, still waiting for it to arrive, although I'm wondering if I should get two for balance?

I'm absolutely loving it though - I used to be a pro photographer and it's still an active hobby, so to get such beautiful images and videos is such a huge thrill! I thought it was going to be good but it's even better than I hoped :)

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
I've said in a few threads now that my Aviva home insurance covers up to £2,000 of items away from home.

I called to specifically ask about drones and they said they are covered as well as third party liability.

Yeah I had the same reply from Halifax Contents Insurance

I carry $1M in liability coverage for my aerial photography business. I bought my insurance through the AOPA which is a pilot's association that just about any private or commercial airplane pilot belongs to. Aviation is what they do. But my insurance policy is written by Old Republic and only cost me $775 annually. It's a good thing to have in the case of your drone causing damage, potentially hurting somebody, or even for legal matters. I tailor my company to working for the construction and engineering industries where a lot of companies require that you hold a million dollars in liability.

Commercial Insurance is a whole different kettle of fish.

For hobbyists you can get £5m Public Liability Insurance for just £15.90 per annum by joining the FPVUK flying club

Reactions: Odinbear
I don't know for certain but I can't see why not, ask your insurance broker to check. The cover is under personal items, under £2000 unspecified item cover. My broker didn't know if they covered drones while being flown so I asked them to double check that it's still covered in use and they confirmed that it is. Loss, theft or accidental damage[emoji1303]

I don't know for certain but I can't see why not, ask your insurance broker to check. The cover is under personal items, under £2000 unspecified item cover. My broker didn't know if they covered drones while being flown so I asked them to double check that it's still covered in use and they confirmed that it is. Loss, theft or accidental damage[emoji1303]
OK thanks, I will phone then tomorrow.

Aviva home insurance covers you quad [emoji1303]

My experience with Aviva was they tell you they cover things like quadcopters etc...... till you come to claim, then suddenly they have a whole list of reasons why you were not covered, you then spend best part of a year being given the run around and fobbed off,all designed to make you give up, then finally after getting the insurance ombudsmen involved who forces them to settle the claim in your favour you will get the claim settled.
By which point its a pretty hollow victory when you take in to account the time and stress involved

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu