DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Insurance

scmark58

Reactions
My buddy called his State Farm insurance agent and was able to get his drone and GoPro covered for what i considered a reasonable price, about $60 per year. I thought that was a good idea, as it covered virtually everything about the drone. So i called my Allstate agent and they told me that Allstate does not cover drones. Has anyone else experienced that situation with Allstate?

It has seemed that only SF, among U.S. insurance companies will cover the drone.
It also seems that once a drone claim is made they won’t renew that portion of those policy.

Have you tried insuring it as photography equipment instead of a "drone"? Just a thought.

I have 2 DJI drones covered with Allstate. It is with my home insurance under personal articles

Here is what my Allstate agent came back to me after asking about insuring my DSLR, Osmo Mobile 3, GoPro and M2Z:
For the drone, it was more complicated. I kept trying to add this under the “camera” type of scheduled personal property, and it was rejected by Allstate’s underwriters. After requesting an explanation I was sent this:

“Ineligible Risks

• Drones - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

• Sport Trading Cards

• Autographed Memorabilia

• Rugs (Unless hung on a wall)

• Medical Devices (Hearing Aides, prosthesis, wheel chairs, etc.)

• Other – any item not described/listed as an insurable property in the Rules and Rates Manual

categories.”

It appears that Allstate will not allow us to insure the Drone on the home policy at this time, but please let me know if you’d like me to complete the insurance on the camera and GoPro.

I am from Indiana and says drone in the description on personal articles

You don't have to have other polices with SF to get your drone covered. Just call you local agent and ask for a Personal Articles policy. If a State Farm agent tells you that you need other policies with them to write that policy, it's most likely that the agent personally doesn't want to bother with a low commission mono-line policy and would prefer to spend time on larger underwriting opportunities. If that happens, simply call the next agent until you get one the will write it.

I called my former State Farm Agent about insuring my drone. He was surprised but researched it. The answer was that
SF no longer writes drone policys in CALIFORNIA! Why am I not surprised!

I then called my new agent about drone covereage and learned that I have $400,000 wirth of Liability and theft insurance through my Hartford policy.

I called my agent here in Massachusetts. They were unsure and told me they would research it and get back to me. I have basic homeowners and an umbrella policy. They did get back and said that they don't see drone liability insurance "excluded" from my policies...... Caveat: "As long as I am not using it for commercial purposes" which at this point, I am not.

I called my agent here in Massachusetts. They were unsure and told me they would research it and get back to me. I have basic homeowners and an umbrella policy. They did get back and said that they don't see drone liability insurance "excluded" from my policies...... Caveat: "As long as I am not using it for commercial purposes" which at this point, I am not.
I would make sure they did not just do a pdf search on your police using the term drone. What to look for is if there is an aircraft exclusion and if that includes a model or hobby aircraft exception.

SF no longer writes drone policys in CALIFORNIA! Why am I not surprised!
Same as Massachusetts. I am not surprised either. To many regulations for them to make it worth it.

I would make sure they did not just do a pdf search on your police using the term drone. What to look for is if there is an aircraft exclusion and if that includes a model or hobby aircraft exception.

Same as Massachusetts. I am not surprised either. To many regulations for them to make it worth it.
As look as I have their response in writing (which I do) I am cool with that. I suppose in time, insurance companies will offer it only as a rider.

It has seemed that only SF, among U.S. insurance companies will cover the drone.
It also seems that once a drone claim is made they won’t renew that portion of those policy.
My SF agent said they will renew for my new bird. However, I have not done that yet, and I might find they either will not renew, or it costs a million dollars!

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada