DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Intel based android tablets and dji apps

pallol

Reactions
Anyone have any experience getting dji fly or go working on intel based android tablets?
Fly won’t install, and go just stops working on one (intel i7 with android 8.1) and my other one is an intel cherry trail with android 5 so it hasn’t been tried yet, (needs to be updated)

Just want to know if I’m going to be wasting time and effort trying to get them to work

on android devises the apps need to be installed directly from DJI web site ,no longer available in the play store, and also they will only work on certain devices ,with a powerful enough processor to handle them, especially the fly app with needs a 64 bit processor ,as apposed to the 32 bit of the GO4 app

My main tablet processor is 64bit core i7 running a at 2.3ghz, so powerful enough, and I did install them from the dji, so no issue there.

Just wanting to know if anyone else got them running on intel based chipsets

Reactions: old man mavic
on android devises the apps need to be installed directly from DJI web site ,no longer available in the play store, and also they will only work on certain devices ,with a powerful enough processor to handle them, especially the fly app with needs a 64 bit processor ,as apposed to the 32 bit of the GO4 app
I thought you had solved a mystery for me, but perhaps not.

DJI Fly won't run on my tablet, which is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1, model # SM-T510. But I just checked, and it has a 64 bit processor.

Any idea why DJI Fly won't run on this tablet? It doesn't have a phone, but someone previously said that shouldn't make any difference.

Thoughts?

Thx!

@Chaosrider check your devices download preferences in settings ,sometimes this can prevent apps from being downloaded ,or it could just be that the operating system in the device is unable to run the fly app ,as they are using a different syntax format , that is not recognised by each other

@Chaosrider check your devices download preferences in settings ,sometimes this can prevent apps from being downloaded ,or it could just be that the operating system in the device is unable to run the fly app ,as they are using a different syntax format , that is not recognised by each other
If I remember correctly, I could download the file, but it wouldn't install and run.

It's running Android 11, One UI Version 3.1. I tend to keep it current.

Where would I look to find the syntax format...and what would I be looking for? I used to do this kind of thing all the time for PCs, but I've never really gotten into Android guts before.

What's Google's beef with DJI Fly anyhow?

My interest in this has been re-kindled through a circuitous path. For a couple of (rare) days, I had still wind here at my house in the morning, when it was warm enough to fly. So I took my two Holy Stone birds out for their first adventure outside.

The Holy Stone SW runs on almost anything, and it ran on my tablet just fine. I found the experience of using the tablet exceedingly desirable, compared to using the phone. I'd very much like to use my tablet for my five DJI drones that use DJI Fly, rather than the phone.

I just asked DJI about it, so I'll see what they say, but if anyone here knows about this stuff, that would be helpful.

Yes, yes, I know the HS SW is primitive compared to DJI Fly, but that's not the immediate point. If there's something I can do to get my current tablet, which serves me well in many respects, to run DJI Fly, that would be great. If not, I want to know what, specifically, I need to look for in a tablet so that it will run DJI Fly.

No iOS stuff. I'd strongly prefer to stay with Samsung.

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

if the communication protocols used to send data between two different devices is not a perfect match in terms of the syntax used then that communication, will when the program is attempted to be run prevent it from doing so
in simple terms they are not using a compatible language

I have a 2014 Samsung Tab S with Android Marshmallow. I used it with my Phantom Vision 2+, Phantom 3, Phantom 4 Pro with rock solid results. When I got my Air 2S I found that the Go Fly app wouldn't install on it. BUT, I still had Litchi on it from the Phantom 4 Pro. Litchi on the 8 year old tablet worked perfectly. I'm sure it's the outdated chipset that's the holdup on installation of the Fly app.

It won't work, DJI apps use native libraries of which they only include ARM versions in their apps (and only 64-bit ARM for Fly, which is why it won't run on 32bit android devices).

Last edited:
if the communication protocols used to send data between two different devices is not a perfect match in terms of the syntax used then that communication, will when the program is attempted to be run prevent it from doing so
in simple terms they are not using a compatible language
I understand the concept.

How do I check that?

Thx.

Forget it. As Kilrah said, only 64bits arm works. Can't even be run in a android studio emulator.

From a quick web-search:

"I have the Sm-t510 and it comes with the exynos 7885 64bit processor and 3gb Ram but the OS is 32bit.Is there any way that I can change it to 64bit i can't find any roms for the sm t510 that are 64 bit and I cant play some games that require a 64bit OS."

So, that explains why mine won't work. Clear enough. Here are the result for my Samsung Galaxy S20 Note, which runs Fly just fine:

"All of the Samsung Galaxy S20 phones (that will be released in the U.S.) are built around Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865 mobile platform. The Snapdragon 865 is 64-bit Octa-Core processor, manufactured at 7nm"

I'm running Android 12 and One UI version 4.1

So what's this ARM stuff about?

Thx.

So what's this ARM stuff about?

Thx.
Arm is a different CPU architecture (mostly on a lot of mobile devices in 64bit now days) much like how Intel x86/x64 is their own cpu architecture which requires different software compile. Probably the most common architecture I think you would use for an android platform.

I have a 2014 Samsung Tab S with Android Marshmallow. I used it with my Phantom Vision 2+, Phantom 3, Phantom 4 Pro with rock solid results. When I got my Air 2S I found that the Go Fly app wouldn't install on it. BUT, I still had Litchi on it from the Phantom 4 Pro. Litchi on the 8 year old tablet worked perfectly. I'm sure it's the outdated chipset that's the holdup on installation of the Fly app.
I don't think that's it. My tablet is a 2019 model, and it won't work with that either.

Apparently, it's just not properly ARMed...

I don't think that's it. My tablet is a 2019 model, and it won't work with that either.

Apparently, it's just not properly ARMed...
32bit os won't work, but since it is 64bit hardware and couple years old, xda forums or some others may already have 64bit custom android 11 and 12 Roms for it such as lineage os. (I have LineageOS 19.1 (Android 12.1) running on a Galaxy tab A7 10.4" from 2019)

The reason was given in the post before yours, while the CPU is 64-bit capable Samsung didn't bother making use of it and shipped that model with a 32-bit OS.
They did, which I later upgraded to Android 11, which reports (sometimes conflicting) say runs as 64 bit...sometimes. Just from a quick scan.

My Samsung Galaxy S20 Note is running Android 12, and runs DJI Fly just fine. Is there any reason to believe that this phone is ARMed? If not, and it runs DJI Fly fine...then the supposed ARM requirement may be a bit spurious.

My current tablet doesn't run DJI Fly. Apparently there are no Samsung tablets that currently run DJI Fly. Hopefully that will change, from one side or the other.

But in any case, I'd like to understand the "why" better.

Thx.

They did, which I later upgraded to Android 11, which reports (sometimes conflicting) say runs as 64 bit...sometimes. Just from a quick scan.

My Samsung Galaxy S20 Note is running Android 12, and runs DJI Fly just fine. Is there any reason to believe that this phone is ARMed? If not, and it runs DJI Fly fine...then the supposed ARM requirement may be a bit spurious.

My current tablet doesn't run DJI Fly. Apparently there are no Samsung tablets that currently run DJI Fly. Hopefully that will change, from one side or the other.

But in any case, I'd like to understand the "why" better.

Thx.
ARM is a CPU architecture (Advanced RISC Machine being an descendent of the older RISC architecture), not a requirement/feature. The issue is having a platform that DJI supports, which course has to be capable of running 64-bit instructions. The Snapdragon chips for example uses the ARM architecture as it's base. Apple's A-Series chips are a custom version of ARM chips. Likewise Intel and AMD primarily use x86/x64 architectures for most of their Windows/Linux/etc systems as that is what most of the software has been made for (though OSes have been provided for other architectures over the years). Intel x64 based mobile devices isn't as common to see especially for Android (even less likely to see it as i64, based off the Itanium chips which windows had an install option for at one time).

So the magic numbers here least for DJI fly is basically :

64-bit operating system with 64-bit hardware support (most commonly ARMx64 for Android/Apple at the base)
3GB Ram minimum (4GB+ is ideal, but DJI fly will run with 3GB, but less may likely crash if it is able to run to begin with)
Android version 6+ or iOS 11+
Officially supported devices may show up in the App Store (Google Play, Apple App Store), but as of Android 11 it doesn't show up for a lot of devices and needs to be installed directly from DJI's download website.

ARM is the company designing the processor architectures that are used in almost all Android devices out there, bar a few exceptions like the OP was actually asking about. Yours do use ARM-based processors.
DJI apps have had issues running on some Samsung variants at times, not sure whether it's hardware or software related.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ